British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I would like to marry my usc boyfriend but don’t know where to start (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-would-like-marry-my-usc-boyfriend-but-don%E2%80%99t-know-where-start-912745/)

Nwalker75 May 13th 2018 8:17 pm

I would like to marry my usc boyfriend but don’t know where to start

hi please can someone who has married a us citizen and moved to America help me . We are trying to fill out I-129 form but it says we need to file a I-130 too. So Confused . Also how long does it take and how much money does it cost can I work in America once I have the Visa and do you get a lot of hassle when travelling to America with the passport control

Twinkle0927 May 13th 2018 8:42 pm

Re: I would like to marry my usc boyfriend but don’t know where to start

The I-129F is the petition for a fiancé visa.

The I-130 is for a spousal visa (so you have to get married first). It's up to you which way round you do things, but since you never mentioned working you might want to re-consider the fiancé visa because you will not be able to work for many months here in the US after you have moved. But with a spousal visa you can work immediately.

Not sure what you mean by "problems with passport control". Do you mean once you have the visa? Have you met your boyfriend already? Have you had immigration problems here before?

zzrmark May 13th 2018 8:50 pm

You can marry your boyfriend at any time without a visa, the fiance visa (I-129f) means you have to marry him within three months of moving here and then finish off the paperwork after you're married. I got married then returned to UK and filled out I-130 to get visa to move to US. So you decide which route you want to go.
I-130 route is marginally cheaper than fiance visa but you'll be living apart for at least 8 months (mine took 13 months), you can keep visiting on the VWP though. I could work as soon as I wanted, you have to wait 3 months before you can work on a fiance visa .
The US govt site that you can download the forms from has a page for the fees, I think it was about 2.5K pounds all in but don't quote me on it!
As for hassle at passport control that depends upon a lot of different factors, assuming you are a white skinned English speaker who doesn't look like a stereotypical biker/gangster/junkie then you shouldn't have any issues at passport control.
Somewhere on this site is a thread that lists the pros and cons of going for the fiance visa (I-129f) versus the CR1 (I130), I thought it was on a sticky at the top of this forum but can't see it so you'll have to route around the site a bit to find it! Edit:look in the part marked 'wiki' go to US section, etc, etc.

Nwalker75 May 13th 2018 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 (Post 12498847)
The I-129F is the petition for a fiancé visa.

The I-130 is for a spousal visa (so you have to get married first). It's up to you which way round you do things, but since you never mentioned working you might want to re-consider the fiancé visa because you will not be able to work for many months here in the US after you have moved. But with a spousal visa you can work immediately.

Not sure what you mean by "problems with passport control". Do you mean once you have the visa? Have you met your boyfriend already? Have you had immigration problems here before?

we both have problems at passport control in USA and U.K. when we say we visiting boyfriend/girlfriend they ask to see texts messages and ask a lot of questions. Does it get worse when you get the visa

mikelincs May 13th 2018 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Nwalker75 (Post 12498856)

we both have problems at passport control in USA and U.K. when we say we visiting boyfriend/girlfriend they ask to see texts messages and ask a lot of questions. Does it get worse when you get the visa

Simple answer is to just miss the boy- girl- bit off the friend and just say friend. There is nothing to stop you, next time you are in the US from having a quick courthouse wedding, then return to the UK and start the CR-1 application, once you have that you can return to the US and have the wedding ceremony again.

Nwalker75 May 13th 2018 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12498851)
You can marry your boyfriend at any time without a visa, the fiance visa (I-129f) means you have to marry him within three months of moving here and then finish off the paperwork after you're married. I got married then returned to UK and filled out I-130 to get visa to move to US. So you decide which route you want to go.
I-130 route is marginally cheaper than fiance visa but you'll be living apart for at least 8 months (mine took 13 months), you can keep visiting on the VWP though. I could work as soon as I wanted, you have to wait 3 months before you can work on a fiance visa .
The US govt site that you can download the forms from has a page for the fees, I think it was about 2.5K pounds all in but don't quote me on it!
As for hassle at passport control that depends upon a lot of different factors, assuming you are a white skinned English speaker who doesn't look like a stereotypical biker/gangster/junkie then you shouldn't have any issues at passport control.
Somewhere on this site is a thread that lists the pros and cons of going for the fiance visa (I-129f) versus the CR1 (I130), I thought it was on a sticky at the top of this forum but can't see it so you'll have to route around the site a bit to find it! Edit:look in the part marked 'wiki' go to US section, etc, etc.

so so how do I get married in USA do I need any special papers or permission . Also after married and I-130 visa going through are u allowed to visit each other still x

zzrmark May 13th 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Nwalker75 (Post 12498877)

so so how do I get married in USA do I need any special papers or permission . Also after married and I-130 visa going through are u allowed to visit each other still x

Collect some proofs of ID (birth certificate, driving license, maybe, passport, etc), buy plane ticket to US, go to Courthouse with boyfriend and ID, pay for marriage certificate, wait three days (ish, depending upon the State's laws), return to Courthouse, get married there or somewhere posher if you want to, have conjugals/holiday etc, go home. He files I-130 and so on. In the meantime you and he can fly to and fro each others countries as time permits.
I used to spend just shy of 90 days in US then just over 90 days in UK, then back to US but I was self employed and able to take time whenever I wanted, your emloyer/financial situation might not be so forgiving!

Twinkle0927 May 13th 2018 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nwalker75 (Post 12498856)

I never had a problem and I visited my husband over 40 times before moving here. I was always upfront that I was visiting my boyfriend/fiancé/husband (whatever stage we were at). I didn't have to show anything to confirm I was in a relationship,with an American - they were only concerned with when I was going home and what kind of work I did.

Rete May 13th 2018 10:21 pm

The I-129F for the Fiancee Visa will not allow you to work the moment you enter the US with an approved K-1 Fiancee Visa. You enter with this visa, get married within 90 days, and file the paperwork for adjustment of status. With that paperwork is the I-765 which is the petition for an employment authorization document. Once received (in 30-120 days) you can accept employment.

If you enter the US under the VWP and marry, your then husband can file the I-130 for initial steps in the Immediate Relative Visa process. I will not go into detail on this but urge you to read posts here and to research on the wiki which has detailed into available set up by our members. Once you have the CR-1 visa in your passport and enter the US, you will be a permanent resident, receive your green card in the mail in 30 to 90 days but can start work immediately.

The costs is slightly cheaper for the CR-1 than the K-1 and have additional benefits.

The timeline for both is from 8 to 12 months from start to finish. You can visit each other while either process is pending. Research and make an informed choice.

StuBear65 May 14th 2018 6:25 am

I am just reaching the end of the IR1/CR1 process. From submitting the I130 to interview has been 11 months, which is slightly quicker than average.

These are the fees I paid
$535 to file the I-130 petition.
$120 to file the I-864 affidavit of support.
$225 to file the DS-260 immigrant visa application.
£45 for ACRO certificate.
£30 for doctors letter.
£300 for the medical (going up to £330 from June 1st)
I then have to pay a $220 immigration fee.

It's worth noting that the timeframe for the K1 fiancé visa isn't much different to the CR1 now.
I married in DC and then came back to the UK, I was always upfront about why I was visiting and never had any problems clearing immigration.

Good luck.

Nwalker75 May 14th 2018 10:36 am

Thank you all for your help we have will probably get married then file the I-130 . So excited thanks

civilservant May 14th 2018 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by StuBear65 (Post 12499018)
These are the fees I paid
$535 to file the I-130 petition.
$120 to file the I-864 affidavit of support.
$225 to file the DS-260 immigrant visa application.
£45 for ACRO certificate.
£30 for doctors letter.
£300 for the medical (going up to £330 from June 1st)
I then have to pay a $220 immigration fee.

When you see it written down like this, plus adding the cost of travelling to, and staying in, London for the interview and/or medical and the flights. It comes home just how much it cost me - and then there's the ROC and the naturalization. Thankfully it will be the N400 for me in just over a week and then no more immigration fees (one hopes)

StuBear65 May 14th 2018 1:37 pm

DS-260 immigrant visa application fee should read $325

Rete May 14th 2018 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12499198)
When you see it written down like this, plus adding the cost of travelling to, and staying in, London for the interview and/or medical and the flights. It comes home just how much it cost me - and then there's the ROC and the naturalization. Thankfully it will be the N400 for me in just over a week and then no more immigration fees (one hopes)

ROC is the removal of conditions and not something that everyone has to do. It all hinges on the length of your marriage when you enter the US with your IR visa.

civilservant May 14th 2018 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12499325)
ROC is the removal of conditions and not something that everyone has to do. It all hinges on the length of your marriage when you enter the US with your IR visa.

I think it was fairly obvious that I was talking about my own case in that post - since, you know, I said 'HOW MUCH IT COST ME'. But thanks for being the sanctimonious prick in Ians absence :thumbup: