Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I wanna share my good news with y'all :D

Wikiposts

I wanna share my good news with y'all :D

Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:45 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default I wanna share my good news with y'all :D

I've been pretty quiet recently, but trust me, I've been lurking

I wanted to give you all an update on things with my crazy bunch here in the good old KY as things have been pretty darn busy, but pretty darn good - and might give a bit of inspiration to some of the new arrivals out there and people who might be having it a bit rough right now......

When my two kids and I arrived here in December 08 (on CR1 and CR2 Visas) we were renting a house, but I had no job, and since DH had been in England with me throughout the immigration process, he was not working either - We spent two months unemployed and struggling before we found jobs. Now I know that two months is not that long in comparison to some people who have been looking for work, but we were responsible for 6 kids, and it was bloody tough. At one point we were so broke my sister in law very kindly used her SNAP card to stock our cupboards with food for us.

We did find jobs though - but they were pretty crap. I ended up working at a hotel, doing the same job I did straight out of school (and I'm nearly 37 now). Most of the people I worked with were doing the job part time to give them some $$ whilst they were at college. There were no benefits. The hours were crappy. DH got a job at the airport in a similar situation - pretty much everyone he worked with were either students, or people in really good jobs that were just working there to get the free flights so they could go away for long weekends etc and really make the most of their disposable income they had from their 'day jobs' - DH was doing this as a full time job - even though he was lucky to get more than 20 hours a week. Again, no benefits.

By April 09 we accepted the fact that we could no longer afford to rent the house we had, and we had to move into a cheaper apartment. It was one of my lowest points and one of those times where I just wanted to go home.

Anyhooo....

In July, I got another job offer - a job I had initally interviewed for in the January had another position, and it was mine if I wanted it. The pay was nearly double. There were benefits. It was further to drive, but I snapped her hand off....

Then at the end of September, DH picked up a second job - again, nearly double the pay. It was working 3rd shift, and it was seasonal - De-icing planes at the airport, but it was extra money. 2 weeks in and they asked him if he wanted a fixed 36 hours..... we took the risk, and he quit his first job, and the seasonal job became his main job. We could only hope that there would be something for him at the end of the season.

Things were starting to look up a little bit!

This is where it really starts to get good. It looks like this could actually be our year now -Not only has DH been kept on at his job now the season has ended, but he has been promoted, and he now has 40+hours a week, plus benefits - because he worked hard through the snow and ice, and showed his loyalty, he is now senior to his original supervisors. His immediate manager has told him that he is training him to do *his* job, because he is looking for his next move up.

My boss is training me to move from the admin job I do currently, to be a Dental Assistant - She has already paid for my Radiology course, and I am starting my on-job training. In 12 months I can be earning nearly 4 times my original salary that I had in my first American Job

And the best news of all...... a bit of inspiration to those of you who stress about your credit scores...... I close on my very first US home on May 8th ...... Yep, I gots me a home loan all by myself :P.... I just followed the tips in the wiki... took care of my credit score, and 18 months after landing I will own my own home .... I didn't piggy back off my hubby at all - it can be done!

So if you have just arrived in the US and you think 'wtf have I done'..... trust me, it does get better!!!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:59 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wanna share my good news with y'all :D

Congratulations!

what a great post too for those who might need a pick me up
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous - well done!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you and your hubby. All your hard work (and hubbys) is begining to pay off.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

congrats!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo

I wanted to give you all an update on things with my crazy bunch here in the good old KY as things have been pretty darn busy, but pretty darn good - and might give a bit of inspiration to some of the new arrivals out there and people who might be having it a bit rough right now......

When my two kids and I arrived here in December 08 (on CR1 and CR2 Visas) we were renting a house, but I had no job, and since DH had been in England with me throughout the immigration process, he was not working either - We spent two months unemployed and struggling before we found jobs. Now I know that two months is not that long in comparison to some people who have been looking for work, but we were responsible for 6 kids, and it was bloody tough. At one point we were so broke my sister in law very kindly used her SNAP card to stock our cupboards with food for us.

We did find jobs though - but they were pretty crap. I ended up working at a hotel, doing the same job I did straight out of school (and I'm nearly 37 now). Most of the people I worked with were doing the job part time to give them some $$ whilst they were at college. There were no benefits. The hours were crappy. DH got a job at the airport in a similar situation - pretty much everyone he worked with were either students, or people in really good jobs that were just working there to get the free flights so they could go away for long weekends etc and really make the most of their disposable income they had from their 'day jobs' - DH was doing this as a full time job - even though he was lucky to get more than 20 hours a week. Again, no benefits.

By April 09 we accepted the fact that we could no longer afford to rent the house we had, and we had to move into a cheaper apartment. It was one of my lowest points and one of those times where I just wanted to go home.

Anyhooo....

In July, I got another job offer - a job I had initally interviewed for in the January had another position, and it was mine if I wanted it. The pay was nearly double. There were benefits. It was further to drive, but I snapped her hand off....

Then at the end of September, DH picked up a second job - again, nearly double the pay. It was working 3rd shift, and it was seasonal - De-icing planes at the airport, but it was extra money. 2 weeks in and they asked him if he wanted a fixed 36 hours..... we took the risk, and he quit his first job, and the seasonal job became his main job. We could only hope that there would be something for him at the end of the season.

This is where it really starts to get good. It looks like this could actually be our year now -Not only has DH been kept on at his job now the season has ended, but he has been promoted, and he now has 40+hours a week, plus benefits - because he worked hard through the snow and ice, and showed his loyalty, he is now senior to his original supervisors. His immediate manager has told him that he is training him to do *his* job, because he is looking for his next move up.

My boss is training me to move from the admin job I do currently, to be a Dental Assistant - She has already paid for my Radiology course, and I am starting my on-job training. In 12 months I can be earning nearly 4 times my original salary that I had in my first American Job

And the best news of all...... a bit of inspiration to those of you who stress about your credit scores...... I close on my very first US home on May 8th ...... Yep, I gots me a home loan all by myself :P.... I just followed the tips in the wiki... took care of my credit score, and 18 months after landing I will own my own home .... I didn't piggy back off my hubby at all - it can be done!

So if you have just arrived in the US and you think 'wtf have I done'..... trust me, it does get better!!!

Well done that girl! It's great when a plan finally comes together, you're a star
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

This is fantastic news. Thank you for updating us and I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are settling in well.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!!!!

And congrats on the new home!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:11 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

That's just lovely!

Well done to you both!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to you both, onwards and upwards
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

So glad things are coming together for all of you! I'll bet working for a dentist will come in handy with 6 kids!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:44 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent news! Well done both of you!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:53 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Well done that girl! It's great when a plan finally comes together, you're a star
I was thinking that this reminds me much of your travails. The old can do, will do spirit wins out!!

I've seen pics of clarrissa's new home and it is lovely!!!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sweetie, you are an inspiration to all those that feel that they stepped into a pile of warm cow dung when they made the move to the US. You used the dung to fertilize your garden and look what bloomed.

I'm so happy for you and your brood. What a wonderfully uplifting post. May your lives continue to flourish.

Now tack on a pic of the new home for us to see.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo

Anyhooo....

Congratulations! We started off a bit rocky as well, after we first moved over - I'm American and my husband is British. But my husband ending up finding a good job and I found a job and we bought a house as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.