Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I think I am screwed - question is how much

I think I am screwed - question is how much

Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I am screwed - question is how much

Originally Posted by brithacker
Never met a problem I could not solve with plain speaking and openness
Glad it has worked out for you, although from the way that you described the situation in your earlier posts it sounded as if being landlocked in the US for any length of time waiting for advanced parole was a complete deal breaker for you under any circumstances. Now it appears that it is OK so long as you can manage the timing of exactly when it will happen.

Had you made that clear in the first place then a lot of the discussion on this thread would not have been necessary.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 5:33 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was easy. All sorted. No lawyers and no problems. Just a frank conversation.

Visa approved, but I retain the passport, complete my existing travel commitments (and get my old second UK passport renewed for EU travel) and then when I am ready, I phone the number they will come and pick up my passport, then return it within the 10 days.

Usual rules apply from that point on, remaining in country during the process, but this time we are managing the process.

Never met a problem I could not solve with plain speaking and openness

BRITHACK
Works OK as long as your approval date isn't today. Is your approval date the day you send your visa in? Or today?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering three things:
- is the consulate going to want you and your fiancee confirm that you are both still able and willing to marry at the time you are ready to have them issue the visa, and
- what will be the expiration date on the visa, will it be 6 months fom the date of your medical exam? and,
- if more than 6 months has passed since your medical exam, will a new medical exam be required?

Keep us posted.

Regards, JEff

Visa approved, but I retain the passport, complete my existing travel commitments (and get my old second UK passport renewed for EU travel) and then when I am ready, I phone the number they will come and pick up my passport, then return it within the 10 days.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It always amuses me when people want to immigrate, but on their terms, and if it dosent suit them well it's the system that's wrong.

I'm afraid it dosent work like that. You comply with the rules or you don't move, simple. In this case I too agree with the above, get married and file for a CR-1, forget the K1.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
- what will be the expiration date on the visa, will it be 6 months fom the date of your medical exam? and,
- if more than 6 months has passed since your medical exam, will a new medical exam be required?

Keep us posted.

Regards, JEff
Going by current experience, at least the first one of those points will need monitoring.