Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I sent in my I-751 today

Wikiposts

I sent in my I-751 today

Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I sent in my I-751 today

Originally Posted by andrea874
Ahh I dont want to anger people here, and I'm sure this may get some "well why are you even HERE, THEN?!" comments... but honestly I just have no desire to become a citizen of this country. I'm not really one of those "proud to be American" people (well I mean I wouldn't be if I was American) - and won't ever be one. Lets just say I'm not a fan of the political situation...
Plus, the only real advantage I see to becoming a citizen is being able to vote...
Oh no, none of those flag waving comments from me, I see it purely as a practical exercise. Once you've got it, its finished, and you can come and go as you like. And you can apply for citizen only jobs etc. Much bigger advantages than being able to vote IMHO.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Oh no, none of those flag waving comments from me, I see it purely as a practical exercise. Once you've got it, its finished, and you can come and go as you like. And you can apply for citizen only jobs etc. Much bigger advantages than being able to vote IMHO.
Yeah thats true. Those advantages dont really apply to me though. I'm in the music industry, so the chances of ever applying for a citizen-only job is pretty slim. We're not planning on leaving the country for any extended period of time int he near future - if we change our minds and want to live elsewhere, I might become a citizen... who knows... its just not in the plans right now, at all. I'm much more enthused about being free of doing USCIS related stuff for 10 years, than at the prospect of going through another process with them
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
I'm much more enthused about being free of doing USCIS related stuff for 10 years, than at the prospect of going through another process with them
You're not alone Andrea. My husband is also not chomping at the bit to become a USC. In the long run, he probably will, only for ease of travel overseas. But it's not something he's thinking of just yet, although he'll be eligible in 2008. Maybe he'll want it by that time, maybe not.

Rene
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:07 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Initially I had no desire to become a US citizen, PR was plenty for me.
As time goes by, i pay my taxes, abide by US law it seems silly to not become a citizen. This is just my personal opinion i should point out.
There is no downside to it and certain benefits, so why not go all the way and never have to deal with USCIS again.
Thats my motto

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You're not alone Andrea. My husband is also not chomping at the bit to become a USC. In the long run, he probably will, only for ease of travel overseas. But it's not something he's thinking of just yet, although he'll be eligible in 2008. Maybe he'll want it by that time, maybe not.

Rene