Reload this Page >

I see that my service center is Nebraska

Wikiposts

I see that my service center is Nebraska

Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:02 am
Paul Ronald

Default I see that my service center is Nebraska

Good morning;

Paul here, I have been reading the posts here at the forum. I also have been reading from an immigration book that I purchased. My book is called "fiance visas, a couples guide to immigration" I am not sure if I have a question at this point, but I will try to frame my thoughts here for you.
It would seem that there are some waiting periods that I wasn't prepared for. I am a little sad about what I am reading here. I had not planned on going to visit May, my fiance again, but now I think I will re-visit my plans.
I am reading on the internet, but I just wanted to ask here. Is it possible to file a Direct Consular Filing in Manila? I don't seem to locate the answer. I probably can just ask the embassy, but perhaps someone here knows the answer.
My other thought, is now I am wondering if I should just go back to Manila and marry May. Would it be a better route to follow. I see that there is a k-3 option now.
Thank you for your patient in answering my questions. I am a little taken aback by the waiting periods for the k-1. Unfortunately, I probably know the answer. We just have a long wait ahead. I just got back from Manila, and I already miss her so much. I can't imagine waiting over 200 days, as some are doing here. This is something of a shock to my system right now.
My last general thought, is the lawyer question. Did some of you here apply without the assistance of an attorney? I think I would like to know if I am getting in over my head.

Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:10 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I see that my service center is Nebraska

Originally posted by Paul Ronald
Good morning;

Paul here, I have been reading the posts here at the forum. I also have been reading from an immigration book that I purchased. My book is called "fiance visas, a couples guide to immigration" I am not sure if I have a question at this point, but I will try to frame my thoughts here for you.
It would seem that there are some waiting periods that I wasn't prepared for. I am a little sad about what I am reading here. I had not planned on going to visit May, my fiance again, but now I think I will re-visit my plans.
I am reading on the internet, but I just wanted to ask here. Is it possible to file a Direct Consular Filing in Manila? I don't seem to locate the answer. I probably can just ask the embassy, but perhaps someone here knows the answer.
My other thought, is now I am wondering if I should just go back to Manila and marry May. Would it be a better route to follow. I see that there is a k-3 option now.
Thank you for your patient in answering my questions. I am a little taken aback by the waiting periods for the k-1. Unfortunately, I probably know the answer. We just have a long wait ahead. I just got back from Manila, and I already miss her so much. I can't imagine waiting over 200 days, as some are doing here. This is something of a shock to my system right now.
My last general thought, is the lawyer question. Did some of you here apply without the assistance of an attorney? I think I would like to know if I am getting in over my head.
BUMP!!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:17 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Paul,

I think we all reel a little with shock when we start to understand the whole immigration process and the potential timeframes involved, so certainly don't think you are alone there.

The lawyer route is a question that seems to come up very frequently on here. If you do a search of the forum for lawyer based posts you will find much food for thought.
My own personal view is that, if you have a straight forward case with no irregularities (overstays, criminal history) then the process is certainly very possible to complete on your own. Sometimes the peace of mind a lawyer can offer is in itself worth investing in, on the basis that it is a good lawyer.
If you have any uncertainty then consult with a lawyer and seek their perspective. Most will do a 1-hour consultation for a reasonable fee, and explain what is in store for you.
If there are any irregularities at all, then positively do consult with a lawyer, you may be saving yourself a whole lot of heartache in the future.

Good luck and I hope you have a smooth journey through this.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:19 am

My fiance and I are going through the AOS process right now. It took us ten
months to get her here in the State through K1 process. I have been telling
people that marriage base visa is better because there would be less deal
with BCIS once she/he is here in the state. It may take a little longer to
obtain the visa with US Embassy. I strongly believe that it's better to deal
with Embassy than BCIS.

"Paul Ronald" <member18807@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Good morning;
    > Paul here, I have been reading the posts here at the forum. I also
    > have been reading from an immigration book that I purchased. My
    > book is called "fiance visas, a couples guide to immigration" I am
    > not sure if I have a question at this point, but I will try to
    > frame my thoughts here for you.
    > It would seem that there are some waiting periods that I wasn't
    > prepared for. I am a little sad about what I am reading here. I had
    > not planned on going to visit May, my fiance again, but now I think
    > I will re-visit my plans.
    > I am reading on the internet, but I just wanted to ask here. Is it
    > possible to file a Direct Consular Filing in Manila? I don't seem to
    > locate the answer. I probably can just ask the embassy, but perhaps
    > someone here knows the answer.
    > My other thought, is now I am wondering if I should just go back to
    > Manila and marry May. Would it be a better route to follow. I see
    > that there is a k-3 option now.
    > Thank you for your patient in answering my questions. I am a little
    > taken aback by the waiting periods for the k-1. Unfortunately, I
    > probably know the answer. We just have a long wait ahead. I just got
    > back from Manila, and I already miss her so much. I can't imagine
    > waiting over 200 days, as some are doing here. This is something of
    > a shock to my system right now.
    > My last general thought, is the lawyer question. Did some of you
    > here apply without the assistance of an attorney? I think I would
    > like to know if I am getting in over my head.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:20 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to add to Charlie's post. If you're going to hire one, do it before you start the process and potentially make a mess of it. Lawyers don't like to get stuck with a DIYer who has botched things up and then expect them to fix it. I'm not saying you'll do that. I just think they like to have the case from the beginning.
Good luck.

Leslie

Originally posted by CharlieS
Paul,

I think we all reel a little with shock when we start to understand the whole immigration process and the potential timeframes involved, so certainly don't think you are alone there.

The lawyer route is a question that seems to come up very frequently on here. If you do a search of the forum for lawyer based posts you will find much food for thought.
My own personal view is that, if you have a straight forward case with no irregularities (overstays, criminal history) then the process is certainly very possible to complete on your own. Sometimes the peace of mind a lawyer can offer is in itself worth investing in, on the basis that it is a good lawyer.
If you have any uncertainty then consult with a lawyer and seek their perspective. Most will do a 1-hour consultation for a reasonable fee, and explain what is in store for you.
If there are any irregularities at all, then positively do consult with a lawyer, you may be saving yourself a whole lot of heartache in the future.

Good luck and I hope you have a smooth journey through this.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Leslie66
I wanted to add to Charlie's post. If you're going to hire one, do it before you start the process and potentially make a mess of it. Lawyers don't like to get stuck with a DIYer who has botched things up and then expect them to fix it. I'm not saying you'll do that. I just think they like to have the case from the beginning.
Good luck.

Leslie
Hi!

... and to add to Leslie's post, if you do hire a Lawyer, search for several experienced AILA lawyers (recommendations would be better) get quotes from each and if you do decide to use a Lawyer, ensure that you get some sort of contract with the fee quoted IN WRITING to you. Also, make sure that it states EXACTLY what will and will not be covered for that fee.

Good luck and welcome
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:19 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by .
My fiance and I are going through the AOS process right now. It took us ten months to get her here in the State through K1 process. I have been telling people that marriage base visa is better because there would be less deal with BCIS once she/he is here in the state. It may take a little longer to obtain the visa with US Embassy. I strongly believe that it's better to deal
with Embassy than BCIS.
Are you saying that K3 is better than K1? I wasn't really clear on what exactly you meant.

Leslie
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:52 pm
Marilou920

Paul, Manila doesn't have direct consular filing. It's just normal petition ,
then wait for approval then the embassy sends the packet to the beneficiary.

>Subject: I see that my service center is Nebraska
    >From: Paul Ronald member18807@british_expats.com
    >Date: 12/11/2003 11:02 AM Central Standard Time
    >Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >Good morning;
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 13th 2003, 1:32 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by .
My fiance and I are going through the AOS process right now. It took us ten
months to get her here in the State through K1 process. I have been telling
people that marriage base visa is better because there would be less deal
with BCIS once she/he is here in the state. It may take a little longer to
obtain the visa with US Embassy. I strongly believe that it's better to deal
with Embassy than BCIS.

"Paul Ronald" <member18807@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Good morning;
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
When taking the K3 route you have to deal with USCIS too!!!
Old Dec 13th 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,
The Philipines does not do direct consular filing for non residents. So you have three options that I am aware of.

You could try to find a third country that will do DCF for you. I doubt that this is a viable option for you but it has worked for some. Also, I cannot help you with information about doing so.

You can then go either K-1 or K-3 route. Study the davehollis timeline site carefully and also the Asawa site (specificalliy for Philipines).

In my case it seems that I will save about three months by going the K-3 route...time will tell. You must also learn what is necessary to marry in your brides country. In my case Colombia it was fairly simple but did take about a month to accomplish the preceding paperwork. AlsoI wanted to meet my wifes family.

In the end you will only be able to learn how long it takes by jumping in and doing it. Probably not what you want to hear but it is reality. Virtually every case is different.

If you do decide to retain legal council get someone experienced with YOUR consulate. Also; do your homework and study as though you were not going to use an attorney, it will help you in choosing wisely.

Good Luck

Originally posted by Paul Ronald
Good morning;

Old Dec 14th 2003, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Jay27 is an unknown quantity at this point

I filed the 129F in early October for my fiance in the Phillipines,
and I'm going through the Nebraska service center as well.
Almost 2 and a half months now, and I'm anxiously waiting.

I noticed the mention of an Asawa web site, could somebody
please provide me with the URL? Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go... http://www.cebu4luv.com/Asawatimeline.htm

Originally posted by Jay27
I filed the 129F in early October for my fiance in the Phillipines,
and I'm going through the Nebraska service center as well.
Almost 2 and a half months now, and I'm anxiously waiting.

I noticed the mention of an Asawa web site, could somebody
please provide me with the URL? Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 11:52 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

tweeky,

. didn't say anything about a K3 visa.

Although you are correct that one must deal with the CIS to some extent for any of the marriage-based visas.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
When taking the K3 route you have to deal with USCIS too!!!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 5:21 pm
Paul Ronald

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
tweeky,

. didn't say anything about a K3 visa.

Although you are correct that one must deal with the CIS to some extent for any of the marriage-based visas.

Regards, JEff

Dear forum

Paul here;

I have delivered the petition to the post office, and I mailed it using certified mail. I am enjoying a cup of hot cocoa and eating a biscuit. I will inform you when the NOA 1 arrives in the mail.

Regards;
Paul