Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I Screwed Up Bigtime!! Need Help

Wikiposts

I Screwed Up Bigtime!! Need Help

Old May 19th 2006, 4:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Screwed Up Bigtime!! Need Help

Originally Posted by snowbunny
ah.... I'd ASSumed that she would have done the AOS from the K-3 a lot earlier in the game and the most recent "adjustment" would be to remove conditions since the marriage is now over two years old.

Since my own husband entered on a CR-1, I know/believe that we must file to remove conditions just after the two year mark. Since I *think* one is issued a two-year "green card", what status does a CR-1 holder have after the two year mark? How long do they have to remove conditions before they too are out of status? During the time when the CR-1 expires and the receipt of the ten-year IR-1 visa, is AP needed?

OP, sounds like "get thee to a lawyer" time!
snowbunny honey, I've got some reading for you to do!

The FAQ and important links regarding I-751 are here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?showtopic=310

Note that to maintain legal PR status, you & Toon file I-751 jointly in the 90 days *before* his PR card expires. If it's not filed in that 90 day window, it hasn't been properly filed and his status is at risk. Consequences are discussed at the uscis.gov page linked in the above.

When approved, status changes from CR-1 (conditional) to IR-1 (immediate relative). The cards for IR-1s are issued with a 10 year validity (altho status does not expire, cards must be renewed).

You can find out more about how to remove conditions via the above link--see "How Do I Remove Conditions" and look for the link in that page titled Application Procedures.

During the time when the CR-1 CARD expires and the receipt of the ten-year IR-1 CARD (not visa), no AP is needed; after filing I-751 correctly, the immigrant is sent an I-797c NOA that extends the validity of the card as evidence for one year. The Immigrant carries the expired card and a copy of the NOA as their evidence and they can travel on those documents. During that application time, expect the I-751 to be adjudicated and a new card to be produced.
Once a person becomes a PR, they do not use Advance Parole again.
Old May 19th 2006, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

samir1010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for everyone's help. I just have one question from one of the responses earlier in the post. What is a deferred inspection and how can she enter on deferred inspection?

Am I also right to assume that since her K3 has expired and her I-130 has been approved that she can renter because she still has a valid I94? I know that she is stuck on the point of not having filed for advanced parole since she filed for AOS.

Does anyone know if the immigrations system at the airport will show that she has filed for AOS?
Old May 19th 2006, 4:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samir1010
Am I also right to assume that since her K3 has expired and her I-130 has been approved that she can renter because she still has a valid I94?
When does the I-94 expire?

Did you follow through on any of the I-130 stuff after it got approved? If so, maybe she can go back to her home country and interview there and return on her Immigrant Visa. But usually people choose one or the other (either AOS or the I-130 process), not follow both of them through. Since you already have your AOS interview set very soon, I'm douting you followed through on what it took to get the I-130 processed.

Rene
Old May 20th 2006, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When does the I-94 expire?

Did you follow through on any of the I-130 stuff after it got approved? If so, maybe she can go back to her home country and interview there and return on her Immigrant Visa. But usually people choose one or the other (either AOS or the I-130 process), not follow both of them through. Since you already have your AOS interview set very soon, I'm douting you followed through on what it took to get the I-130 processed.

Rene

We did get the I-130 approved and get them to send all information here since we were filing for AOS and she was in the States already. She was here the whole time while waiting for the I-130 to get processed.
Old May 20th 2006, 5:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We did get the I-130 approved and get them to send all information here since we were filing for AOS and she was in the States already. She was here the whole time while waiting for the I-130 to get processed.
Well, I was thinking that if you had followed the I-130 to completion, it will result in an interview in her home country, and if that is still in the works, she can go back there and enter on an Immigrant Visa. But most people, once they decide on AOS, they no longer follow through with the Agent of Choice, the I-864, having the file sent to the home country, etc. I'm guessing you didn't do those things. I'm not sure with approved I-130 if you can still follow through on those things, or if it's too late now.

Rene
Old May 20th 2006, 5:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know....

why on earth don't they give someone a MANUAL -- one for the USC, one for the foreign spouse -- a user-friendly guide to help navigate all of this?

Hell, I got more in the way of premarital counseling in the form of a manual when Toon & I applied for our marriage licence, than I've gotten from USCIS.

I think I know the answer -- it's cos these rules and procedures can and do change in a heartbeat and then the manual wouldn't be correct.
Old May 20th 2006, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for everyone's help. I just have one question from one of the responses earlier in the post. What is a deferred inspection and how can she enter on deferred inspection?

Am I also right to assume that since her K3 has expired and her I-130 has been approved that she can renter because she still has a valid I94? I know that she is stuck on the point of not having filed for advanced parole since she filed for AOS.

Does anyone know if the immigrations system at the airport will show that she has filed for AOS?
Hi:

Hire a lawyer. A good lawyer. You need one.
Old May 20th 2006, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Hire a lawyer. A good lawyer. You need one.
How can you hire a good lawyer, what are the ways finding that out?
Old May 29th 2006, 8:51 am
Kat

Just wandering if there is any update on this case ......

Old May 29th 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kat
Just wandering if there is any update on this case ......

Good news, My wife was able to cross back into the United States and I found a rule that will allow her to still get approved at our interview even though she left the United States without Advance Parole.

When the immigration officer asked her about why she had left the US without advance parole all she did was pull out a copy of the rule that states that even though she filed for AOS that she can still return without abandoning her AOS application. He checked his information and wished her good luck on her interview.

This rule is called the Interim Rule.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped. Hope this information helps someone out.
Old May 29th 2006, 9:58 am

This rule is called the Interim Rule.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped. Hope this information helps someone out.
I did a search on "Interim Rule" http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...nterim+rule%22 and didn't look to me like any of these links were immigration related. Do you have a link to the page she printed and showed the officer?

Thanks,
Rene
Old May 29th 2006, 10:30 am
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I did a search on "Interim Rule" http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...nterim+rule%22 and didn't look to me like any of these links were immigration related. Do you have a link to the page she printed and showed the officer?

Thanks,
Rene
The problem is that "interim rule" actually appears a-plenty in immigration related documents - one for health care workers, one that deals with I-9... it's like saying the loophole is called "admission rules", ya know?

Hopefully samir can come back and give us specific details.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:35 am
Kat

Must be nice that some people can leave an come back in when some have
been here for years without leaving in fear that they will be
denied....i too would like to see the rule so i could possible go home
to see my family an have the know that i can come back without any
problems....i was advised even with applying for the ap there is no
guarantee that they will allow u back in the country

Old May 29th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kat
Must be nice that some people can leave an come back in when some have
been here for years without leaving in fear that they will be
denied....i too would like to see the rule so i could possible go home
to see my family an have the know that i can come back without any
problems....i was advised even with applying for the ap there is no
guarantee that they will allow u back in the country
If you have overstayed you should not leave the US until you get your GC, with or without AP.

Otherwise, if everything is in order and there's no reason why you should be inadmissible, IMHO there is no need to confine yourself to the US for fear that you would not be let back in. Get your AP and live your life, I say.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Elenfair
The problem is that "interim rule" actually appears a-plenty in immigration related documents - one for health care workers, one that deals with I-9... it's like saying the loophole is called "admission rules", ya know?

Hopefully samir can come back and give us specific details.
Yes, I'm curious to see where it's written that a person whose K-3 visa has already expired, but is still pending adjustment, is OK to travel without AP.

Hopefully Samir will post it.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.