Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

i put the wrong birthdate for my spouse on our i-130!!! need advice!

Wikiposts

i put the wrong birthdate for my spouse on our i-130!!! need advice!

Old Jun 18th 2003, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

tenni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i put the wrong birthdate for my spouse on our i-130!!! need advice!

aaaah! on our i-130, we just realized i put the wrong year on my spouse's birthdate. it's correct on the g-325 and i also included a copy of his birth certificate, but i'm assuming they won't accept an inconsistent petition.

i'm thinking about resending an accurate i130 to the INS service center. and include a cover letter about our situation, and how the first i130 we sent had the wrong year for his birthdate, and that we're hoping this doesn't cause any delays.

what do you think? or should we wait, and hope they figure it out or don't notice?
Old Jun 18th 2003, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point

Call the customer service center and see what they suggest. If they suggest doing nothing, I'm not sure that's the right course of action, as you've stated if they find these inconsistency they'll eithe delay or deny your petition. As it is the I-130 takes many many months to go through, you can't afford a delay or a denial.

Your idea of sending a new I-130 form with the correct information and a cover letter is a good one.

Regards
Old Jun 18th 2003, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

hi thanks for the suggestion! i just called bcis and they recommended i wait and see what i get back from the service center. she said that either they will return the form stating i should make a correction, or they will accept it as is and then i don't need to do anything further about it.

i'm still thinking i should send another accurate i-130 and cover letter, as i just filed the petition a week ago.

any advice?

thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 5:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tenni
hi thanks for the suggestion! i just called bcis and they recommended i wait and see what i get back from the service center. she said that either they will return the form stating i should make a correction, or they will accept it as is and then i don't need to do anything further about it.

i'm still thinking i should send another accurate i-130 and cover letter, as i just filed the petition a week ago.

any advice?

thanks.

I would not send a new petition and cover letter. How do you expect them to match it up to the one that you sent with incorrect information? Any clue on how many petitions are at the service center and you are asking them to match them up without having an Alien Registration Number or a Case number to go by.

Just wait it out. For something such as your mistake, I believe the chances are good you will not be RFE'd for this mistake.

Rete
Old Jun 18th 2003, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

good point. thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 11:58 am
Sharon S.

Default Re: i put the wrong birthdate for my spouse on our i-130!!! need advice!

We put the wrong birthdate for the USC on the I-129F and wondered if we
should notify someone. In the end we didn't, and it was not mentioned
throughout the entire process, not even at the visa interview last week.

If they don't bring it up, don't worry about it.

Sharon & Mel
Winnipeg & Boston

"tenni" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > aaaah! on our i-130, we just realized i put the wrong year on my
    > spouse's birthdate. it's correct on the g-325 and i also included a
    > copy of his birth certificate, but i'm assuming they won't accept an
    > inconsistent petition.
    > i'm thinking about resending an accurate i130 to the INS service center.
    > and include a cover letter about our situation, and how the first i130
    > we sent had the wrong year for his birthdate, and that we're hoping this
    > doesn't cause any delays.
    > what do you think? or should we wait, and hope they figure it out or
    > don't notice?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 18th 2003, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

i feel better now. the worst case is our petition will be delayed, but seems like chances may be high that we will be ok. thanks!!

anyone know what they do with the i130 form after we send the i129f with the i130-NOA?
Old Jun 18th 2003, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

amylass is an unknown quantity at this point

i feel better now. the worst case is our petition will be delayed, but seems like chances may be high that we will be ok. thanks!!

anyone know what they do with the i130 form after we send the i129f with the i130-NOA?
Hi Tenni,

Just to reassure you even further ~ I ran in to a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. The law clerk that filled in our paperwork for the I-130 had a few errors (most notably, my husband's gender being female, and used MY former surnames as his!) I was very worried about it getting kicked back, and the next day I ended up getting my 1st NOA.

It doesn't SEEM as though slight typos as these are considered fatal errors to the service centers. Or it could simply be that they don't look at them THAT closely when sending out the 1st notification.

As far as the I-130 goes, it still processes at the service center whilst you continue on with your K-3 efforts.

Regards,
Old Jun 18th 2003, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

i *think* i'm starting to understand the whole process a little bit better:

so the i130 is the actual petition filed for permanent residency in the US for my spouse.

the i129f form, packet #3, interview with the consulate agency abroad, etc. is filed just for the k3 visa.

is that correct?
Old Jun 18th 2003, 6:36 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

i *think* i'm starting to understand the whole process a little bit better:

so the i130 is the actual petition filed for permanent residency in the US for my spouse.

the i129f form, packet #3, interview with the consulate agency abroad, etc. is filed just for the k3 visa.

is that correct?
The I-130 is the petition for alien relative, basically it's what the BCIS to obtain the information required to ascertain that your relative is eligible to apply/be processed for PR status.

The I-485 is the actual petition which is filed to adjust the status of your relative, they also check when the I-485 is filed that the relative entered the US legally. According to the BCIS Congressional Liasons I spoke to this is it's main function in ascertaining whether or not the relative is eligible to AOS. My local office does the security checks "while you wait" as they allow filing in person and this takes about 45 minutes.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

yeaaaay! we got the NOA1 for our i-130. THANKS to everyone for all the replies and helping me not to worry as much! NO thanks to the post office person who delivered the noa to my next door neighbor! and finally, thanks to my neighbor who realized that mail from INS is probably important!

and just to reconfirm, i just need to send a COPY of my noa1 with my i129f for the k3?

actually, i'm looking at this a little more closely and they have the month on the "received date" wrong. i sent it on june 11, they sent me my mail confirmation on june 18th, and the notice date says june 23. they put march 18th. oh well, i don't think that should matter.