Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I may need an extension from the INS for my Fiance in Australia... is this possible?

Wikiposts

I may need an extension from the INS for my Fiance in Australia... is this possible?

Old May 23rd 2002, 1:20 am
Sara

Default I may need an extension from the INS for my Fiance in Australia... is this possible?

My fiance is having a bit of trouble getting his police certificate, not because of
any criminal history, but only because they seem to be taking their time! :P He has
not been able to schedule his interview with the Consulate in Perth yet. The approval
notice I received from the INS gives us until July 12th for him to arrive in the US
but I am afraid that he won't be able to make it here in time! Is it at all possible
to file for an extension with the INS? And does anyone know about how long it takes
to get an interview scheduled after you send in the checklist?

Old May 23rd 2002, 3:20 am
Kelsey Meredith

Default Re: I may need an extension from the INS for my Fiance in Australia... is this possible?

>My fiance is having a bit of trouble getting his police certificate, not because of
    >any criminal history, but only because they seem to be taking their time! :P He has
    >not been able to schedule his interview with the Consulate in Perth yet. The
    >approval notice I received from the INS gives us until July 12th for him to arrive
    >in the US but I am afraid that he won't be able to make it here in time! Is it at
    >all possible to file for an extension with the INS? And does anyone know about how
    >long it takes to get an interview scheduled after you send in the checklist?

The U.S. Consulate can give your fiance one four-month extension. You will also
probably have at least one month before getting an interview after sending the
checklist. Many people go ahead and send in the checklist when they don't have all
the required documents if they feel like they will them prior to the interview.

http://www.actionvisa.com