Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I.D. re: filing police report in UK

I.D. re: filing police report in UK

Old Dec 18th 2002, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I.D. re: filing police report in UK

Stuart says we have to send the originals off. So sending his passport is not really an option because we have a trip in March, and if it goes amiss, we're in trouble!

if he sends his Dr. Lic. off and then gets asked for it 'within 7 days' etc while its in processing, then what do you say??

Is it possible to take the documents and ID to the police station and have them photocopy them? It will probably be the West Bar police station (Sheffield).
Old Dec 18th 2002, 9:43 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I.D. re: filing police report in UK

Originally posted by Jo Brayne
Stuart says we have to send the originals off. So sending his passport is not really an option because we have a trip in March, and if it goes amiss, we're in trouble!

if he sends his Dr. Lic. off and then gets asked for it 'within 7 days' etc while its in processing, then what do you say??

Is it possible to take the documents and ID to the police station and have them photocopy them? It will probably be the West Bar police station (Sheffield).
Stuart is wrong! Just go into West Bar Police Station with some ID (passport, gas bill, driving license - something with a picture and something with your address) and they will give you the form there and then - it takes about 10 minutes to fill in. You then take it up to the desk where the guy will check it, check your ID's and note that he has checked them and then will take away the form and the £10. Thats it, you don't have to hand over anything else - certainly not your DL or Passport!

Patrick
Old Dec 18th 2002, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I.D. and police reports

Thanks for the reply. What if you want to send it off?

(What he did was get the form at the station and he didnt bother filling it in, he came home saying he was going to send it in.)
Old Dec 18th 2002, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Scarlet196 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I.D. and police reports

Originally posted by Jo Brayne
Thanks for the reply. What if you want to send it off?

(What he did was get the form at the station and he didnt bother filling it in, he came home saying he was going to send it in.)

I sent off mine and included my passport, about 1 week later i received a letter with my passport saying that they would send out the police report as soon as possible.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

BogieLarue is an unknown quantity at this point

I am fairly certain that the request needs to be submitted through the local police authority, so it must be returned to them so they can make the request for you. We were told to make a photocopy of the identification and send it along with the request form (don't send the original identification). Call the local police authority to verify that they will accept photocopies or if another trip to the station is necessary in order to verify the identification. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me, but that was our experience to obtain the police certificate in the UK. I hope it helps.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not need to send any ID off with the application. You fill in the required information on the form when you go to a main police station, they will then look at your ID to confirm that it is you who is requesting the information and return that to you on the spot.

There is no need to sent the ID with the application, if the officer says he has to, then he is wrong, at that point ask him to check the procedure.

On rare occasions they make the mistake, but generally are ok.

Rob