Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I Became a US Citizen Today!

I Became a US Citizen Today!

Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Became a US Citizen Today!

Originally Posted by nun
It's far more convenient to keep using your UK passport, but I agree that showing off the American passport would be a very American thing to do.

One of my reasons for taking US citizenship was so that I could apply for jobs that required a security clearance. When I got into the detail of what's required to get the clearance I decided that I didn't want it..... using my UK passport was actually a disqualifier. I still think that it's marginally better for me to have US citizenship; it complicates my financial and tax life, but as all my money is in US accounts I'd be nervous to leave the US without US citizenship.

You misunderstood me. I don't mean using your US passport to enter the UK, I meant whipping it out for family and friends back home to gawk at. By all means, enter the UK on your UK passport. Then, when you meet family and friends, you can show them your US passport and brag about the long hard road to US citizenship.

Also, the next time your in the UK and you hear someone make a derogatory comment about Americans. Just show them your US passport and say "I'm sorry what were you saying about us Americans?".
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:46 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
You misunderstood me. I don't mean using your US passport to enter the UK, I meant whipping it out for family and friends back home to gawk at. By all means, enter the UK on your UK passport. Then, when you meet family and friends, you can show them your US passport and brag about the long hard road to US citizenship.

Also, the next time your in the UK and you hear someone make a derogatory comment about Americans. Just show them your US passport and say "I'm sorry what were you saying about us Americans?".
No I understood your comments. I was just pointing out that bragging about your new US citizenship would be a very American thing to do.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't think of anything better to brag about than having a US and a UK passport especially to some stuck up snobbish Brits I know back in the Uk.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
No I understood your comments. I was just pointing out that bragging about your new US citizenship would be a very American thing to do.
Well, I suppose you could represent your new US citizenship as a source of shame. You could say something like " it embarrasses me to no end that I have taken US citizenship. It was strictly a business decision, nothing more. I hope you can forgive me ". After that you can sob a bit for effect.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I suppose you could represent your new US citizenship as a source of shame. You could say something like " it embarrasses me to no end that I have taken US citizenship. It was strictly a business decision, nothing more. I hope you can forgive me ". After that you can sob a bit for effect.
Why would anyone give a stuff if you had both passports? I know none of my family and friends in the UK would care or even be interested.
Conversely, my wife was born in the US and is now a dual citizen. She doesn't go around pulling out here UK passport and waving it in front of anyone she meets. Most of her family doesn't even know and there's no reason for them to. It's not a case of shame, it's just not relevant.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I don't remember paying anything for my citizenship. Oh, that's right, I was born here.

Congratulations on becoming a Yank! Are you going to show off your new American passport on your next trip back to the UK? BTW, next time your in Europe and someone starts slagging off Americans, you can tell them " I happen to be one of those "bloody" Americans! Good day to you sir"
Yes it's all we talk about in Europe
Old Aug 26th 2012, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Why would anyone give a stuff if you had both passports? I know none of my family and friends in the UK would care or even be interested.
Conversely, my wife was born in the US and is now a dual citizen. She doesn't go around pulling out here UK passport and waving it in front of anyone she meets. Most of her family doesn't even know and there's no reason for them to. It's not a case of shame, it's just not relevant.
I would! And kick myself for not taking the extra time to do it before we moved back to the US! It would mean that if we decided to move back to the UK, I'd actually be able to go with my family!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:08 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds even more objectionable than bragging about a second citizenship, but maybe an American would do it if they took a second citizenship and ended up in a game of Truth or Dare over the family Thanksgiving table.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the lines are long with Brits wanting to become US citizens, I doubt the lines are as long over in the UK with Americans wanting to become Brits .
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Yes the lines are long with Brits wanting to become US citizens, I doubt the lines are as long over in the UK with Americans wanting to become Brits .
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Quite.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:38 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Don't you mean queues. We seem to have arrived at the "mine's longer than yours" argument.....but I don't know what the argument is about.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nun
Don't you mean queues. We seem to have arrived at the "mine's longer than yours" argument.....but I don't know what the argument is about.
It's about the hordes of Brits wanting to escape the tyrannical reign of Liz the Second and experience the freeeeedom (tm) of being an American.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well do some research and tell us with suitable citations. Guessing is pointless.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
It's about the hordes of Brits wanting to escape the tyrannical reign of Liz the Second and experience the freeeeedom (tm) of being an American.
But the Royal family is tremendous value for money and as free as it comes. I mean, you don't see the President of the US or members of his family taking their clothes off in public, do you. What sort of paltry freedom does this country have, anyway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.