Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I am (UKC and bene) the intending immigrant and also the sponsor's (USC) spouse.

I am (UKC and bene) the intending immigrant and also the sponsor's (USC) spouse.

Old May 19th 2019, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Shell33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am (UKC and bene) the intending immigrant and also the sponsor's (USC) spo

Well off he certainly isnt lol. Without going into too much detail, his disability prevents him from working.
Old May 19th 2019, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Shell33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am (UKC and bene) the intending immigrant and also the sponsor's (USC) spo

Thank you civilservant, Rete and Rene for all of your advice. I am so very grateful! I hope this thread can also provide assistance to anyone else in similar circumstances. Apologies to everyone for the numerous typographical errors - Next time I will wait to use my PC and not my mobile phone!

Based on everything I have understood I think I am going to include my UK salary on my husbands I-864. I will bring along a letter from my employer as proof of continued employment once in the USA. In case they ask I will have proof of earnings going back 3 years and HRMC contributions etc. Although it would be great if someone could confirm:

1) If I need to provide tax returns at all as from what Rene said "only petitioner husband USC needs to provide tax returns" I do not think I need to provide anything other than list the name of the company I work for and provide the letter confirming continued employment? Sorry if I am asking the obvious I just want to be 100% certain I have understood this correctly.

2) If I am able to be listed in my Husbands I-864, will I need to complete an I-864a for my UKC daughter her as a 'household member'? Or can my daughter be listed on my husbands I-864 alone as she is 10 years old?

3) Will my husband need to show that I am going to be sponsoring him also when I enter the country as he is unemployed? Of course I will be supporting him financially (whilst he looks after the baby, as stay at home dad as I am pregnant) but I am not sure if he needs to put this in the form?

In addition, in case US Embassy London are not satisfied with the letter from my employers as proof of continued earnings, I will ask my Aunt (who is USC, born in California & lives in CA) to complete the I-864 as a joint sponsor, and as Rene suggested, give her the option of placing everything in a sealed envelop. I will take that to interview as a back up.

I will have to hope and pray that she completes it correctly or maybe pay for an attorney to assist her if she really doesn't seem confident in completing it.

Last edited by Shell33; May 19th 2019 at 8:09 pm.
Old May 19th 2019, 7:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your USC husband gets disability or social security income of some sort, I assume. I don't know much about those benefits, does he not have to complete a US tax return showing that income?

IF your husband is not required to file US tax returns on his disability income, then he won't have any to provide.

You, as a UKC, of course won't have US tax returns.

Rene
Old May 19th 2019, 10:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please let your Aunt know the full scope of her liabilities if she does consent to become your joint sponsor. As your husband is on SSI and probably other optional benefits allowed to those with low incomes, you need to know that your coming to the US will eliminate any state or government means tested benefits your husband gets will be curtailed once your salary is included as household income, I.e. Section 8 housing, food stamps, etc.

Your Aunt will be responsible for reimbursing any means tested benefits you or your daughter receive until:

1. You have worked 40 quarters under US social security (usually 10 years); OR
2. You become a US Citizen (if you become a USC before your daughter is 18, she becomes a USC as well); OR
3. Aunt dies and her estate is settled; OR
4. You die; OR
5. You relinquish your green card voluntarily; OR
6. Your green card is taken from you.