Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I am so lost, as what to do

Wikiposts

I am so lost, as what to do

Old May 5th 2002, 4:40 am
Lvslr

Default I am so lost, as what to do

And the sad part is that i am actually pretty smart.

My fiance is from Mexico, she has a visa already to enter the US. And wants to come
and visit it me for a few months.

This is where i get confused, i know she can enter the US because of her Visa. We
want to get married this year, but i do not want to do anything wrong that would deny
us from marrying and being together.

I need your advice and recomendations on what i should do. So that everything will
go smoothly.

Will it be okay for her to enter the US and visit me?

Will the INS look down upon that, if she enters the US to visit me for a few months?

Sorry to take up your time with these questions. I have read through all the posts
here, and went to the web-site links stated in the posts. And all that does is
confuse me more. I guess i am reading into what is stated, or i am worrying to much
to make sure that everything will be okay.

I would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks to all,

Larry

Old May 5th 2002, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Magellan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am so lost, as what to do

The only way I can see a problem occurring is if the INS infers from the timeline that your fiancee entered the US not on a K-1 visa, but on another visa, intending to marry you. They may well look down on that.

If, however, she intends to visit for a while, then return to Mexicao, then come back with a fiancee visa and marry you, that is fine, encouraged by the INS, even.

David.
Old May 5th 2002, 6:10 am
Lvslr

David,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I just wanted to make sure that it was okay
for her to visit. We have not started the paper work for fiance visa, we will after
she visits and returns to Mexico.

Again thank you so much.

Larry

"Magellan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > The only way I can see a problem occurring is if the INS infers from the timeline
    > that your fiancee entered the US not on a K-1 visa, but on another visa, intending
    > to marry you. They may well look down on that.
    >
    > If, however, she intends to visit for a while, then return to Mexicao, then come
    > back with a fiancee visa and marry you, that is fine, encouraged by the INS, even.
    >
    > David.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 8th 2002, 8:56 am
abi
Forum Regular

abi is an unknown quantity at this point

For your fiance to visit you for a few months, she would have to show very very strong ties to Mexico, to show she has the intent of returning. I wonder why you dont just go for the fiance visa. If the INS officer at the port of entry suspects that she will just stay in the US and marry you there, but not with the correct visa for such intent, then she could be denied entry. Its risky.
Old May 9th 2002, 3:20 am
Augusto

You won't have any problems if she comes to visit you then leaves. My now fiancee
(then girlfriend) has come to visit me from Brazil at least 7 times in the past 6
years and stayed as much as 3 months, returning to Brazil after her stay. We will be
getting married in Brazil and filing for DCF in Rio next month. The only problem you
may have is that new INS rules are now granting tourists time in the country based on
what they will be doing in throughout their stay. If that can't be determined, they
will give her 30 days at POE (as opposed to the 180 days they used to give). Just
make sure your girlfriend (fiancee) doesn't overstay her visa, as that could cause
complications when you apply for the K1.

Hope this helps! All this advice is based on my own personal experience...