British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-944 - HELP!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-944-help-934562/)

petepete99 Aug 30th 2020 6:25 pm

I-944 - HELP!!!

Filling out all of our Green Card forms. With the I-944:
  • I'm Still confused over whether we need to include it based on some of the information on the USCIS website which says I don't need to while the US is still under national emergency, yet other parts are saying that's only applicable to NY, VT and CT residents (I'm in Florida). Any advice?
  • I thought I'd go straight to the source and look at instructions on the I-944 page. However, as you can see (unless this is a temporary error) it just takes you to the broader forms page and does not direct you to the actual I-944 page. Any advice?
I also thought we were in the month of September already and that I only had two business days to get my application post-marked before the astronomical fee rise. Then my wife reminded me that we're still in August. I have no sense of time right now :huh:

petepete99 Aug 30th 2020 6:31 pm

Re: I-944 - HELP!!!

As you can see, even on the USCIS website, the alphabetical/numerical ordered search results exclude the I-944 page completely. What am I missing?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...01053b700a.jpg

Noorah101 Aug 30th 2020 10:56 pm

This must be a new thing, I haven't heard of it before. Therefore, my advice is that you have 2 choices.
1. Go ahead and include it, even if not required, or
2. Do not include it, and get an RFE if it was required after all.

Rene

Noorah101 Aug 30th 2020 11:00 pm

If you use Google, you can find the form and instructions.

Just at a quick glance at the instructions, it says to include it if you are filling an I-485 for AOS. If that's what you are doing, I would go ahead and include it.

Rene

S Folinsky Aug 31st 2020 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12903729)
If you use Google, you can find the form and instructions.

Just at a quick glance at the instructions, it says to include it if you are filling an I-485 for AOS. If that's what you are doing, I would go ahead and include it.

Rene

The form is both new and has been subject to litigation including injunctions. I don’t know the current status. (My volunteer work is on hiatus during COVID.)

petepete99 Aug 31st 2020 1:23 pm

Thanks Rene and Folinksy

MtbbikeVanlife Aug 31st 2020 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by petepete99 (Post 12903654)
Filling out all of our Green Card forms. With the I-944:I also thought we were in the month of September already and that I only had two business days to get my application post-marked before the astronomical fee rise. Then my wife reminded me that we're still in August. I have no sense of time right now :huh:

Wait - what astronomical fee ? From what I can see there are 3 checks to go with the documents, $535 for the I130, $1140 for the I485 and the $85 for the Biometric fee. I'm about to send off all the paperwork tomorrow !

About the I-944 form, I completed and downloaded it last week (Monday I think) and have just now got all the supporting paperwork sorted. After your comment I searched for the document on the USCIS site and........ it's not there ! Perplexing. Still plan on sending mine in along with everything else.

Carl.

petepete99 Sep 1st 2020 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff (Post 12903937)
Wait - what astronomical fee ? From what I can see there are 3 checks to go with the documents, $535 for the I130, $1140 for the I485 and the $85 for the Biometric fee. I'm about to send off all the paperwork tomorrow !

About the I-944 form, I completed and downloaded it last week (Monday I think) and have just now got all the supporting paperwork sorted. After your comment I searched for the document on the USCIS site and........ it's not there ! Perplexing. Still plan on sending mine in along with everything else.

Carl.

Sorry, I should have elaborated. From my understanding, The EAD and Travel Authorization documents that you have the option of applying for are currently at zero cost. From October onwards those will no longer be free. I don't have it to hand right now but it adds approx another $1,000 onto the application. That's only for people who need the EAD and Travel Authorization, but I'd have assumed that would be the majority of applicants?