Wikiposts

I-94 with 1 day stay !

Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

RBN282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-94 with 1 day stay !

Something I got from a similar forum. The people concerned were not British, but it could happen to vistors from any country.
An elderly Indian couple had 10 year B-2 visas, and had stayed for the full 6 months at least a couple of times. Their son or daughter is there (presumably LPR or USC). The next time they flew to the US, the CBP felt they were spending too much time in the US and gave them the usual secondary treatment. However, they were travelling with an infant grandchild (who is an USC) who was to be taken to their son/daughter.
So they were granted a I-94 with one day validity-just enough time to deposit the grandchild and go back.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:54 pm
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-94 with 1 day stay !

Originally Posted by RBN282
Something I got from a similar forum. The people concerned were not British, but it could happen to vistors from any country.
An elderly Indian couple had 10 year B-2 visas, and had stayed for the full 6 months at least a couple of times. Their son or daughter is there (presumably LPR or USC). The next time they flew to the US, the CBP felt they were spending too much time in the US and gave them the usual secondary treatment. However, they were travelling with an infant grandchild (who is an USC) who was to be taken to their son/daughter.
So they were granted a I-94 with one day validity-just enough time to deposit the grandchild and go back.
Is this for real? How terrible!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alix
Is this for real? How terrible!
What's so terrible about it?

They could have turned them back entirely, which would have been far worse for them. They allowed them in to safely deliver the grandchild.

I heard of the same thing happening to a yank going into the UK (basically) - he spent too much time there - they gave him a couple days to get his stuff and leave.

People don't have the right to enter other countries, it is a privilage granted.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:31 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like they must have tried to spend more than 6 months per year in the usa - so were trying their luck anyway.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds humane to me, they could have been booted straight out. Which has happened to many others.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:22 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems very reasonable to me. A rare case of the CBP using some flexibility to cope with a situation that could have been very much worse. Given that they clearly judged that the couple had been spending too much time in the US, and given that they have every right to puy anyone on the next plane home if they judge them inadmissible, giving them a single day on their I-94 to get their grandchild to its parents is a perfectly reasonable and humane thing to do.

Apparently you haven't had much dealings with US immigration, Alix.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
What's so terrible about it?

They could have turned them back entirely, which would have been far worse for them. They allowed them in to safely deliver the grandchild.

I heard of the same thing happening to a yank going into the UK (basically) - he spent too much time there - they gave him a couple days to get his stuff and leave.

People don't have the right to enter other countries, it is a privilage granted.
I agree.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:55 pm
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose I am still living in the 19th century and believe families should not be seperated. But then what do I know... I am naive.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RBN282
Don't believe all you read ....
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alix
I suppose I am still living in the 19th century and believe families should not be seperated. But then what do I know... I am naive.
You need to go check on your history.

I sort of assumed there was more to it than posted, there usually is, but even with the facts given not much to take issue.