Wikiposts

I-864a Questions - Help!

Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:34 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default I-864a Questions - Help!

Hi,

I am completing the I-864a so file alongside the I-864 which my wife will be completing and have a couple of questions:

i) PART 2. Sponser's promise:
Does my wife complete this section?

ii) PART 3: Household members promise
PART 4: Sponsored Immigrant/Household members promise
Which one of these do I fill out? I am an H1-B visa holder.

iii) Sponsor's signature:
Does my wife complete this?
What does 'My commission expires on' mean?

iv) Household Member's or Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member's signature:
Do I complete this?

I know there are quite a few questions here, but I am at a complete loss as to what all this means!

Thanks, Chris
Old Apr 14th 2003, 1:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864a Questions - Help!

Originally posted by csf
Hi,

I am completing the I-864a so file alongside the I-864 which my wife will be completing and have a couple of questions:

i) PART 2. Sponser's promise:
Does my wife complete this section?

ii) PART 3: Household members promise
PART 4: Sponsored Immigrant/Household members promise
Which one of these do I fill out? I am an H1-B visa holder.

iii) Sponsor's signature:
Does my wife complete this?

iv) Household Member's or Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member's signature:
Do I complete this?

I know there are quite a few questions here, but I am at a complete loss as to what all this means!

Thanks, Chris
Chris, for the -A, this is how we did it (and passed, at the Consulate level. We did not AOS in the US).

Part 2: Sponsor is the USC (your wife). You are the sponsored immigrant.

Part 3: We put lines through that and skipped to Part 4 as you are the immigrant/household member.

Your other 2 questions: This document must be Notarized, which means you must sign it *in front of* a Notary Public. You can often find one at your bank or financial services office or a lawyer's office. They may charge you if you are not a customer. If you read the form, you'll see that the 'commission' part belongs to the Notary's signature, and that is for them to complete.

Note that your income will be included in the first part of the I-864. You may want to include a letter demonstrating who's income comes from where. I have details of how we did ours in my posts from September 2002, if you care to search.

Have fun!
Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:26 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'll definitely take a look at your earlier posts

One quick question regarding the I-864. In Part 1 of the form, it mentions 'Information on Sponsor (You)'. Does it mean me, the H1-B holder? Or does it mean my wife, the US citizen? I am a little confused, because effectively I will be supplying info. on my own wages to prove that I can provide for myself.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help

Chris

Last edited by csf; Apr 14th 2003 at 2:32 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by csf
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'll definitely take a look at your earlier posts

One quick question regarding the I-864. In Part 1 of the form, it mentions 'Information on Sponsor (You)'. Does it mean me, the H1-B holder? Or does it mean my wife, the US citizen? I am a little confused, because effectively I will be supplying info. on my own wages to prove that I can provide for myself.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help

Chris
The primary sponsor must be the USC. Even if your wife's income is insufficient, she is THE sponsor. Technically she's completing the form. Your information is secondary to the form, even if you have the majority income.
My situation was similar, hopefully the old post will help you out.

luck!