Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Supporting docs for sponsors

Wikiposts

I-864 Supporting docs for sponsors

Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:23 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of
Exclamation I-864 Supporting docs for sponsors

Hey All,

My joint sponsor is self-employed and his tax return form/statement for a tax year numbers upward of 20 pages. Is he required to make copies of every single page to submit, or can he just submit the 1040 form (I think it is) which shows the breakdown of everything for that particular tax year?

Ty,
Sean
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Supporting docs for sponsors

Sean,

The I-864 instructions say, "A copy of your complete Federal income tax return, as filed with the Internal Revenue Service, ...".

The instructions don't say that the IRS-issued tax transcripts can be submitted in lieu of a copy of the tax return, but the anecdotal evidence indicates that they are often accepted. If you want to try it, the tax transcripts may be simpler than photocopying the complete tax return.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Seanus
Hey All,

My joint sponsor is self-employed and his tax return form/statement for a tax year numbers upward of 20 pages. Is he required to make copies of every single page to submit, or can he just submit the 1040 form (I think it is) which shows the breakdown of everything for that particular tax year?

Ty,
Sean
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:46 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Sean,

The I-864 instructions say, "A copy of your complete Federal income tax return, as filed with the Internal Revenue Service, ...".

The instructions don't say that the IRS-issued tax transcripts can be submitted in lieu of a copy of the tax return, but the anecdotal evidence indicates that they are often accepted. If you want to try it, the tax transcripts may be simpler than photocopying the complete tax return.

Regards, JEff

Hey Jeff,

It just doesn't make much sense for a person to submit copies of over 60 pages of tax returns for the last 3 years. talk about a waste of paper.

Straight up, the 1040 will not be sufficient then, and the sponsor would need to submit every single page as filed with the IRS?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jeff,

It just doesn't make much sense for a person to submit copies of over 60 pages of tax returns for the last 3 years. talk about a waste of paper.

Straight up, the 1040 will not be sufficient then, and the sponsor would need to submit every single page as filed with the IRS?
Seanus,
If this is for AOS, you might want to look at this memo:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/h...pprt112305.pdf

Depending on when your I-485 is submitted, you may only need one year of tax return.
I've used transcripts successfully throughout our case. They are free, and arrive fast from the IRS.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jeff,

Hi Sean,

New requirement for I-864's is only the most recent tax year for backup...not 3 anymore. There was a post about that a while back in here...I'll see if I can find it.

IRS can send a tax transcript for free, which is their version of the tax return. I think that's a little more condensed than a photocopy version would be.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:55 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Sean,

One year, not three. New USCIS policy for adjustment of status.

One can always submit what they want and see if it passes or results in an RFE. I can't tell you what the people whose hands the case passes through will do.

Regards, JEff

Hey Jeff,

Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Seanus,
If this is for AOS, you might want to look at this memo:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/h...pprt112305.pdf

Depending on when your I-485 is submitted, you may only need one year of tax return.
I've used transcripts successfully throughout our case. They are free, and arrive fast from the IRS.
Thanks meauxna! You got it first!

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:59 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Sean,

One year, not three. New USCIS policy for adjustment of status.

One can always submit what they want and see if it passes or results in an RFE. I can't tell you what the people whose hands the case passes through will do.

Regards, JEff
So only 1 year of taxes is required now?, Sweet!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:32 am
THE Member

Thanks guys. filing only the most recent year's tax return makes it much easier.

One last question though, reading through the memo below http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/h...pprt112305.pdf
it states that the sponsor needs to submit certified copies of the their federal income tax return.... would that be the same as getting the documents notarized by a public notary?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. filing only the most recent year's tax return makes it much easier.

One last question though, reading through the memo below http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/h...pprt112305.pdf
it states that the sponsor needs to submit certified copies of the their federal income tax return.... would that be the same as getting the documents notarized by a public notary?
Just have him get tax transcripts from the IRS. Its fast, easy, free, and should be acceptable to the USCIS. Thats all we used, and it was never questioned...
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:44 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
Just have him get tax transcripts from the IRS. Its fast, easy, free, and should be acceptable to the USCIS. Thats all we used, and it was never questioned...
There you are!! Where have you been??
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
There you are!! Where have you been??

Heheh, I've just been working a LOT!!

How are you??
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:05 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
Heheh, I've just been working a LOT!!

How are you??
Me too. But I miss you all!

Marnee
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Me too. But I miss you all!

Marnee
Marneeeeeeee, we miss you too!

Rene