Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Sponsor questions

Wikiposts

I-864 Sponsor questions

Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Sponsor questions

Originally Posted by robclem1
sorry, confusion over dividends. Apparently i do not put uk dividends on my wifes US tax returns which we thought we had to rush through as we had not done any since she moved here 25 years ago. But as she has not had a salary for a few years we do not need to put her dividend income on her US tax return, we just file a null return
Oh, ok. That income may still be valid for the I-864. If it's significant enough, you might follow up on that.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:11 am
Just Joined

robclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nice

Hi, got a query from my MiL regarding her sending tax returns back with her I-864. She files her tax returns online and is confused what she sends back as proof that she has filed a tax return.

The form note says a tele-file tax return is not acceptable. She also asked if she needs to send an original W2 or a photocopy of it?

any help always appreciated

cheers
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:37 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

rc,

It's not proof that a tax return was filed that's needed - it's the information contained on the tax return that's needed. Have her get IRS transcripts of her tax returns from the IRS. That will also make the W-2 issue moot. (Photocopy is the answer, though.)

Regards, JEff

Hi, got a query from my MiL regarding her sending tax returns back with her I-864. She files her tax returns online and is confused what she sends back as proof that she has filed a tax return.

The form note says a tele-file tax return is not acceptable. She also asked if she needs to send an original W2 or a photocopy of it?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

any help always appreciated

cheers
The easiest/preferred method for including income tax returns is to order the free, fast 'transcripts' directly from the IRS; they can be ordered over the phone with touch key instructions and are mailed to her.
Transcipts may not look very official, but they have all the required data and they seem to be preferred by USCIS et al.

If she prints off a copy of her tax return (this is different than the tele-file receipt), she has to include every page, schedule and attachment (including W-4 + 1099). The transcripts are tidier.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

heres the website which has infiormation and the telephone number for your MIL to get her tax transcripts

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...110571,00.html

make sure when she goes through the phone touch system she selects "Tax Return Transcripts" and not "Tax Account Transcripts"

Once she's ordered the first one (2006) then at the end it asks if she needs to order another so follow the instructions and get 2007 and 2007 if they are her 3 most recent years.

They take about 2 weeks to come and should all arrive at the same time but in seperate envelopes.

Get a letter from her employer stating when she was employed there, how much she earns, how many hours she does etc along with about 4-6 months worth of payslips and bank statements.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:43 am
Just Joined

robclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The I-864 does not kick in until you actually arrive in the US, so it's not when you get the visa, but rather when the visa is validated - and that happens when you enter the US. So, it's still 7 people.

Ian
Problem I am still having is right now our plans are to use cash savings or a yet to be agreed job to rent a property on day 1 we arrive, although neither can be proved when we submit the I-864 and I take the documents to the embasy for my interview.

What we do know for sure is my MiL can sponsor me and prove with income that she can cover her, her husband and me(even though I dont plan living there) My Wife(USC) is the main sponsor and has her name jointly on the house deeds in USA which proves some asset value but no regular income, although we can show past income for last few years, but this is irelevent as we are leaving the UK.

I guess I just want to know from a sponsorship point of view to get my visa approved in London, do we just need to say that my MiL is able to support ME on her I-864, as my wife and 3 kids are all USC and entitled to full benefits anyway in worst case scenario?
If this is so then my MiL just shows income level to support hosehold of 3 and we ignore my wife and 3 kids as they are USC already and dont have to count in household.

Sorry for confusion but I am trying to make sure we get the MiL form fillied in correctly as she is in USA and sending docs via mail and we want to go to London for interview knowing we have thes filled in correctly

cheers
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem I am still having is right now our plans are to use cash savings or a yet to be agreed job to rent a property on day 1 we arrive, although neither can be proved when we submit the I-864 and I take the documents to the embasy for my interview.
You only have to show that you are intending to domicile. Nothing has to be set in stone. Just show that you are in touch with realtors...in touch with schools for the kids...that you are job hunting, etc.

I guess I just want to know from a sponsorship point of view to get my visa approved in London, do we just need to say that my MiL is able to support ME on her I-864, as my wife and 3 kids are all USC and entitled to full benefits anyway in worst case scenario?
If this is so then my MiL just shows income level to support hosehold of 3 and we ignore my wife and 3 kids as they are USC already and dont have to count in household.
Wife and children are already USCs, so MIL does not need to sponsor them. MIL should show income for a household of her own size, plus the immigrant.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Ok, a little more final advice on this please....

I have received my MIL and FIL I-1864 and I-864a sponsor forms along with 3 years of transcripts showing their income. They did not send any pay slips or letter of employment proof - Do I need the payslips to prove they are in employment or will the visa people accept the 3 years worth of income proof?

As my wife is the primary sponsor does she have to fill in an I-1864 as well even though she can show no income that she can take to the USA? I am leaning towards her filling one in but leaving the income and assets blank and then just use my MIL and FIL sponsorship to get my visa approved - is this the correct way to go? If she does fill in an I-864 should she put her current UK income or leave it blank as this will terminate once we emigrate?

Will it be a negative thing if we leave my wifes I-864 showing no income or assets, even though once I've sold my UK business we can show a lot of cash - but this has not happened yet and therefore we cannot put the figures down?

Are the visa people likely to ask me what my intentions are once I live there - if so will they be happy for me to tell them I am starting a business over in the USA? Would this complicate my application? or do they not care as long as my MIL/FIL sponsorship is sufficient to support me?

Any final advice on this topic would be appreciated as we now want to submit our letter to say we are ready for the interview.

thanks

Rob
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do I need the payslips to prove they are in employment or will the visa people accept the 3 years worth of income proof?
They should send a few current payslips to verify their current income.

As my wife is the primary sponsor does she have to fill in an I-1864 as well even though she can show no income that she can take to the USA?
Yes. She must submit an I-864 even if she doesn't qualify financially.

I am leaning towards her filling one in but leaving the income and assets blank and then just use my MIL and FIL sponsorship to get my visa approved - is this the correct way to go?
If she has no income, she should put "0" on the lines. If she has income, she should put it down. Don't leave anything blank.

... should she put her current UK income or leave it blank as this will terminate once we emigrate?
Yes - she should put her UK income down. She should enter it in $ amounts according to the exchange rate in effect the day she signs it.

... once I've sold my UK business we can show a lot of cash...
You can't enter information for an event that hasn't yet happened.

... or do they not care as long as my MIL/FIL sponsorship is sufficient to support me?
They don't care what you do.

Ian
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Sorry to hijack this post, but I'm in a similar situation. My sister is my husband's joint sponsor, she has sent me her I-864, her tax transcripts for the last three years, a letter from her current employer where she has worked for the last two years, and two recent bi-weekly payslips (they are not consecutive periods, but one for Sept 09 and one for Oct 09).

Do you think this will satisfy the requirements or do I need bank statements as well as someone mentioned earlier. I feel somewhat envasive asking for bank statements even if she is my sister.

Thanks,
Kat
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Then don't. Start your own thread for your own questions.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by katnap8
Sorry to hijack this post, ...
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katnap8
... do I need bank statements as well as someone mentioned earlier.
You don't "need" bank statements. You have what you have. If you'd feel better with the bank statements, ask for them. If you think it too intrusive, don't.

Ian