Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Section 25 Income Filed Jointly

I-864 Section 25 Income Filed Jointly

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

epymsam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Section 25 Income Filed Jointly

Can you please advise as to what figure we put on the income lines for section 25 of the I-864. We filed as married filing jointly, what figure do we put for the sponsor's AGI - they are combined on the return.

Any help would be much appreciated.

e.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Section 25 Income Filed Jointly

Originally Posted by epymsam
Can you please advise as to what figure we put on the income lines for section 25 of the I-864. We filed as married filing jointly, what figure do we put for the sponsor's AGI - they are combined on the return.

Any help would be much appreciated.

e.
I would enter the amount exactly as it appears on your tax return. That is what they are asking for.

You will have other information showing what your own individual income currently is...such as current pay stubs, W-2, letter from employer.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If yoiu want to separate one person's income out of a Joint Return, you have to add up what his gross income was. Where did you get the figure to enter in the tax return initially?
(hint: W-2s and 1099s are a start)
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

epymsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both for the replies. I can try to separate out the income etc, but its the AGI they're looking for and this requires computing potential dedictions / allowances from the gross figure. I guess I'll just go with the joint amount and use the W-2 to provide the split out. We're pretty far north of the poverty cap - bth individually and jointly, so hopefully the officer won't be too concerned when we have the interview on Friday.

It kinda surprises me that there's not clearer guidance on this. It must be a common issue.

Thanks again

e.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for the replies. I can try to separate out the income etc, but its the AGI they're looking for and this requires computing potential dedictions / allowances from the gross figure. I guess I'll just go with the joint amount and use the W-2 to provide the split out. We're pretty far north of the poverty cap - bth individually and jointly, so hopefully the officer won't be too concerned when we have the interview on Friday.

It kinda surprises me that there's not clearer guidance on this. It must be a common issue.

Thanks again

e.
Section 25 is asking about previous year tax returns, anyway. What counts is the USC's *current* income, which will be proven by showing the W-2 or 1099 forms, recent pay stubs, and the letter of employment.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:48 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

e,

Adjusted gross income if using Form 1040EZ, Line 4.

The equivalent figure on Form 1040 is Line 22, Total Income.

Regards, JEff

Thanks both for the replies. I can try to separate out the income etc, but its the AGI they're looking for ....
e.