Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 RePost: (sorry) Non-working US spouse question

Wikiposts

I-864 RePost: (sorry) Non-working US spouse question

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 11:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-864 RePost: (sorry) Non-working US spouse question

Putting this in its own thread for other deadbeat slacker lovers out there

OK, I'd just like to clear this up since I may not have explained myself fully and I have those pre-submission jitters.

I am the USC.

I am unemployed and living in Greece. I do not have an income. My previous income has been well above the poverty level guidelines for our household.

I own a home in the US which is our intended destination and which I consider to be an asset. This home is my primary residence and I am considering myself "temporarily residing abroad". I still receive mail and utility bills, insurance etc at this address. Even though it is our primary US residence, it clearly *could* be turned into a cash within 12 months.

I have stock holdings (worth considerably less as each day passes) which, when added to my home equity still do not make the 125% x 5 required for assets. Sadly, they were *abundantly* over the line a mere 4 months ago when I first made my calculations.

My spouse (UKC) lives with me in Greece. He has a modest pension income (not enough to make the 125% poverty level, but almost).

My spouse has cash deposits sufficient to cover the difference between his (our!) income and the 125% level for our household of 2 persons.

We have lived together for 11 months, which I consider to be "householding" together, but have scant proof of such as utility bills and leases are different out here on the islands than they are in the States. I have a letter from our landlady stating that we have been living together in her property for 11 months.

When I completed the I-864, I have checked that I filed a single/separate tax return for the most recent tax year (2001) and then skipped down to Sponsor and spouse's combined income and entered the amount of my husband's pension income.

In Part 4F I listed my assets (stocks and real estate) and have supporting documentation for both. We then prepared an Addendum in the same format for the sponsored immigrant's assets (cash deposits) with supporting docs.

We then prepared an Addendum showing a summary of our income, poverty guidelines, difference between the two, required amount in assets to make up the difference and then a total of 7X that amount in combined assets.

We completed I-864A contract between myself (sponsor) and my husband (household member/sponsored immigrant).

My ace in the hole is a sealed envelope containing my co-sponsor's Affidavit, but I'd rather not pull it out.

I feel that all of this is sufficient, but we are throwing ourselves into the unknown as I have no knowlege of anyone's previous experience doing DCF in Athens.

I appreciate the group's collective review of our situation and any and all of your comments and suggestions.

Gratefull still for all of you,
mo
Old Jul 24th 2002, 4:20 am
Mrtravel@Sbcglo

Default Re: I-864 RePost: (sorry) Non-working US spouse question

In addition to stating the assets, you also have to provide proof of them, as well as
any liabilities against those assets. If the equity value is really 7X's then you
should be OK. However, since you have a co sponsor, why not just use them??? I don't
think it is going to be a good idea if the plan is to wait for a denial and then tell
the interviewer you have cosponsor documentation.

Old Jul 24th 2002, 7:20 pm
Joe Thomas

I concur, I would submit the co sponsors affidavit at the same time. If its not
needed, they may simply give it back and say its not necessary.

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In addition to stating the assets, you also have to provide proof of them, as well
    > as any liabilities against those assets. If the equity value is really 7X's then
    > you should be OK. However, since you have a co sponsor, why not just use them??? I
    > don't think it is going to be a good idea if the plan is to wait for a denial and
    > then tell the interviewer you have cosponsor documentation.

Old Jul 26th 2002, 12:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mrtravel@Sbcglo
In addition to stating the assets, you also have to provide proof of them, as well as any liabilities against those assets. If the equity value is really 7X's then you should be OK. However, since you have a co sponsor, why not just use them??? I don't
think it is going to be a good idea if the plan is to wait for a denial and then tell the interviewer you have cosponsor documentation.
Thanks MrT & Joe,

An important fact I failed to include in my post is that we will be doing our submission via DCF at the Athens consulate. I am *hoping* that they review my I-864 while I'm there and would let me know the result.

Of course I have the supporting documentation for all assets, showing ownership and mortgages.

Thank you both for your comments. I'd still prefer to not submit the cosponsor if I don't have to. Any further thoughts, you all & anyone?
Old Jul 26th 2002, 5:20 am
L D Jones

meauxna wrote:
    >
    > Mrtravel@Sbcglo wrote:
    > > In addition to stating the assets, you also have to provide proof of them, as
    > > well as any liabilities against those assets. If the equity value is really
    > > 7X's then you should be OK. However, since you have a co sponsor, why not just
    > > use them??? I don't think it is going to be a good idea if the plan is to wait
    > > for a denial and then tell the interviewer you have cosponsor documentation.
    >
    > Thanks MrT & Joe,
    >
    > An important fact I failed to include in my post is that we will be doing our
    > submission via DCF at the Athens consulate. I am *hoping* that they review my I-864
    > while I'm there and would let me know the result.

I think one of the key pieces of documentation for a DCF-based interview (as well as
AOS) is the I-864. So I would say don't hope but expect that the I-864 will be
reviewed. If Athens is the same as London, UK in this regard the consular will review
everything and sign the I-864 right in front of you.

If you are talking about their reviewing it before the interview then I don't know.
Certainly London will not do this.

Old Jul 27th 2002, 12:13 am

Originally posted by L D Jones
meauxna wrote:
>> Mrtravel@Sbcglo wrote: However, since you have a co sponsor, why not just use them???
> An important fact I failed to include in my post is that we will be doing our submission via DCF at the Athens consulate. I am *hoping* that they review my I-864 while I'm there and would let me know the result.

I think one of the key pieces of documentation for a DCF-based interview (as well as AOS) is the I-864. So I would say don't hope but expect that the I-864 will be reviewed. If Athens is the same as London, UK in this regard the consular will review everything and sign the I-864 right in front of you.

If you are talking about their reviewing it before the interview then I don't know. Certainly London will not do this.
LD, yes, I agree that the I-864 is the key piece of data, that's why I'm so stressed about it.

As to "review"of documents and actually the whole timeline/process for this particular Consulate, we're *very* fuzzy on the details. There is no documented use of Athens for DCF. Correspondence with the staffers this week may shed some light. I'm also quite confident about the Consular submissions due to previous meetings with the staffers. They were quite positive and encouraging. Our I-130 is *submitted* in Athens, but sent to the Rome INS field office for processing.

Oh well, fingers crossed. Tx again,
m