Wikiposts

I-864 Questions

Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:03 am
Just Joined

EverettM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Questions

Hi! I'm new, and I had some questions regarding the I-864 form. I am the USC, my wife is the UKC.

1. My mother is our co-sponsor. She got her 2010 W2s already. Can she fill out the I-864 form already, even though the interview probably will not be until June? Or will it look wierd if we show up with an I-864 dated 5 months old?

2. Do I need my mother's tax returns, or will her W2s for the past three years suffice? I just asked because my wife accidentally threw out the copies of my mom's tax returns we were sent

3. We will be living with my mom when we move to the states. I am leaving before my wife has her interview. Should my mom fill out a I-864a, since I will be living with her, or an I-864? We are completely relying on my mom's income because I am still looking for employment. Thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Questions

Originally Posted by EverettM
1. My mother is our co-sponsor. She got her 2010 W2s already. Can she fill out the I-864 form already, even though the interview probably will not be until June? Or will it look wierd if we show up with an I-864 dated 5 months old?
I would try to get the I-864 dated closer to the time of the interview. She can go ahead and fill it out now, and if nothing in her income scenario changes by the time your interview date comes up, she can just sign and date it then and send it to your wife to take with her to the interview.

2. Do I need my mother's tax returns, or will her W2s for the past three years suffice? I just asked because my wife accidentally threw out the copies of my mom's tax returns we were sent
Your wife will need to supply at least the most recent tax return from the joint sponsor (your mom). It's common for the ConOff to ask for the most recent 3 tax returns, so she should have them ready to hand over if asked. So yes, get copies of those. Your mom can order official tax transcripts from the IRS 800 number. They are free and come in the mail to her in about 10 days. It's the tax return condensed into just a couple of pages, so much easier to handle that having to photocopy the whole return. If she does choose to photocopy the returns, she needs to include her W-2 from each year as well. No W-2 required when using IRS tax transcripts.

3. We will be living with my mom when we move to the states. I am leaving before my wife has her interview. Should my mom fill out a I-864a, since I will be living with her, or an I-864? We are completely relying on my mom's income because I am still looking for employment. Thanks!
I've seen it done both ways, the choice is yours. Be aware that if your mom acts as a contributing household memb er (I-864a), it increases the household size. Will she still qualify if that happens? It's probably more straightforward to just have her be a joint sponsor (fill out her own separate I-864).

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

EverettM is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for answering every question so clearly! I really appreciate it! My mom makes well over the 125% mark for household size, but maybe just to be sure I should have her fill out both a I-864 and I-864a to cover the bases, depending on which one they want?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EverettM
Wow, thanks for answering every question so clearly! I really appreciate it! My mom makes well over the 125% mark for household size, but maybe just to be sure I should have her fill out both a I-864 and I-864a to cover the bases, depending on which one they want?
That would be a most excellent idea!

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No reason why she can't complete the form today and hold on to it until you have your appointment date and then sign and date it. She would only need to redo it if any financial details change.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

MoneyMom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! I just have a question on behalf of my daughter (an American girl sponsoring her British husband). She says she read that as the sponsor, she needs to have her 3 most recent tax returns. Now, she will have them for 2009 and 2010, but in 2008 she was listed on my tax return as a dependent, and she made no money, so she could not file as a dependent. Does anyone know if this will be a problem for her? Only having returns for the last 2 years?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoneyMom
Does anyone know if this will be a problem for her?
If she wasn't required to file a return, she should just include a note that she wasn't required to file. It won't be an issue.

Ian