Reload this Page >

I-864 Question on income

Wikiposts

I-864 Question on income

Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

spiraluk is on a distinguished road
Default I-864 Question on income

I have a couple of questions I was wondering if people could answer?

1) My wife is just doing her tax returns before we send in our I-864. Do they calculate the amount she earn as her total amount the job pays or will they calculate it on the amount minus her 401k and other deductions?

2) She also starts a new job in 2 weeks which pays her almost double what she earns now. Should she declare this when we submit the I-864? Currently she earns 27k but she will be on 41k which takes us well over the 125% poverty threshold. If she should declare it, how does she prove it with no pay stubs or tax return for it?

3) I also have started work, but it is self employed/freelance work. Again, how do I prove what I'm earning when I have only just started?

Very confused and hoping someone can help
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:53 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Question on income

1) "They" are not going to calculate how much income your wife has - she is going to tell them. Gross income from employment and unearned income.

2) One thing the I-864 asks for is current income. If she needs the amount that her new job will provide she might want to consider waiting until she starts that job to complete her I-864.

3) Good question, you probably can't.

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiraluk
1) My wife is just doing her tax returns before we send in our I-864. Do they calculate the amount she earn as her total amount the job pays or will they calculate it on the amount minus her 401k and other deductions?
"They" don't calculate anything. On the I-864, there is a line to write in a figure from the most recent tax return (and perhaps the 2 previous to that as well). All she has to do is find the figure required on the tax return and write it on that line.

2) She also starts a new job in 2 weeks which pays her almost double what she earns now. Should she declare this when we submit the I-864? Currently she earns 27k but she will be on 41k which takes us well over the 125% poverty threshold. If she should declare it, how does she prove it with no pay stubs or tax return for it?
She should declare the current amount she earns at the time she signs the I-864. If she signs the I-864 when she's still earning 27K, that's the figure she uses and provides proof income. If she wants to show the higher earning, she has to wait until she gets the job and gets a few paystubs to sign the I-864 and prove her income. If 27K is over the threshhold already, there's no reason to wait.

3) I also have started work, but it is self employed/freelance work. Again, how do I prove what I'm earning when I have only just started?
It will be difficult to prove your self employment earnings if you've just started. You won't have any income records yet. That said, if your wife's 27K is over the threshhold for your household size, your income doesn't need to be included.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. The threshold is $27,527 so you can see our problem. I'm guessing we will just have to delay putting it in for a few weeks
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. The threshold is $27,527 so you can see our problem. I'm guessing we will just have to delay putting it in for a few weeks
You don't happen to have $1,600 in a savings account, do you?

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Do savings count towards the total?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:30 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

$27,937 for a family of 4.

Good idea to wait until she starts the new job. She should ask her new employer for a letter confirming her employment and level of pay to go along with her first pay stub as documentation. (The new job isn't one that starts with a probationary period, is it?)

Regards, JEff

Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:31 am

You haven't read the I-864 instructions, have you.

Regards, JEff

Do savings count towards the total?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

I suspect I need to again. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:52 am

I suspect I need to again. Thanks for the advice.
Assets can be used to make up the difference in income. Assets must be 3x the amount you would have needed in income. Currently, in this economy, the best asset is cash in the bank.

Rene