Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 - liquidity of assets

I-864 - liquidity of assets

Old Jan 11th 2017, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-864 - liquidity of assets

Hi all,

My wife (dual USC/UKC) is currently filling out the I-864 for me (UKC).

We are not likely to be able to include much income on the form, given what income can be counted and what can't. It is likely to be limited to our interest income, which may as well be zero.

Our assets are about 4.5 times the amount required for our family size (a little more than this, but I'm allowing for further falls in the pound). Of this, about 90% is equity in our house, and 10% is in bank accounts. All of these are jointly owned.

Our house is a 3-bed terrace in the south east. My view is that this asset can be liquidated within a year. Is the CO likely to agree? Obviously 4.5 times is comfortably over the requirements, but I don't know if there'd be questions over whether it could be sold.

I can ask my father-in-law to act as a joint sponsor if need be - he makes comfortably over the requirements for his would-be household size - I'm not sure if it's worthwhile doing so.

As for including the tax returns, do we just include the 1040, or all the additional forms too?

Many thanks,
CF
Old Jan 11th 2017, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 - liquidity of assets

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan
Is the CO likely to agree?
Yes.

I don't know if there'd be questions over whether it could be sold.
Even if sold at a loss, you're likely still well over the requirement.

As for including the tax returns, do we just include the 1040, or all the additional forms too?
You must include a copy of everything that was filed with the IRS.

Ian