I-864 Joint Sponsor Tax Return Evidence

Wikiposts

I-864 Joint Sponsor Tax Return Evidence

Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:31 am
Just Joined

furrmacist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Joint Sponsor Tax Return Evidence

Hello all,

My Visa appointment (IR-1) is on 21st March. Woohoo!

My spouse is in the UK with me and is applying for jobs in the US but doesn't have one yet. His father is acting as Joint Sponsor and has completed I-864 and supplied a copy of last year's tax return (joint tax return for both in-laws filing together).

He has also provided W-2 and 1099s (pension income) for the same year, but only for him, not for his wife.

Now, his income / pension alone is more than enough to satisfy the federal poverty threshold, and he is the sole Joint Sponsor. But the tax return lists a total income (for both of them) for which I do not have all the evidence (because I don't have copies of my mother-in-law's 1099 showing pension income). Are they going to be happy with just the evidence I'm submitting?

Thanks in advance,

Furrmacist
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Joint Sponsor Tax Return Evidence

Originally Posted by furrmacist
Now, his income / pension alone is more than enough to satisfy the federal poverty threshold, and he is the sole Joint Sponsor. But the tax return lists a total income (for both of them) for which I do not have all the evidence (because I don't have copies of my mother-in-law's 1099 showing pension income). Are they going to be happy with just the evidence I'm submitting?
Since your FIL's income alone is sufficient for the I-864, only his income should be listed on the I-864. Then, include a note with the I-864 explaining the discrepancy between that amount and the amount on the joint tax return. It likely won't matter that you don't have your MIL's evidence.

Ian