I-864 & Joint Sponsor

Old Oct 24th 2020, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Southernboy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 & Joint Sponsor

Some quick questions if I may and I apologise for the naivety but I just want to be clear on what needs to be done. We are at the NVC stage and are going to be submitting the I-864 shortly along with that of a joint sponsor, a family member in the states as my wife lives here in the UK with me.

Firstly, when filling out my wife’s form do we put down her UK earnings considering we declare it on our tax return and therefore appears on our tax transcript even though this will not be continued income in the US hence the joint sponsor?

Secondly how do we upload a joint sponsors form and additional documents needed onto CEAC, is it just a case of the family member downloading the I864 completing it and emailing it to us to upload along with their supporting docs too?

Once again apologies if this seems naive but for whatever reason this part has thrown us off!
Old Oct 24th 2020, 7:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 & Joint Sponsor

1. Yes, your wife will list her UK income.
2. Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one. Back when we did a K-1 visa, we had to mail everything... it wasn't online.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2020, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Southernboy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 10:43 am
Just Joined

corntop is an unknown quantity at this point

We also used a joint sponsor. You have to upload a pen-signed I-864, their ID to prove US citizenship and residency, and their tax information like transcripts and W2 documents. So they should email you the documents and then you upload them. Just bear in mind they would need to print the I-864 form first so it can be signed, then scan it in as a single PDF for uploading to CEAC.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 5:02 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corntop
We also used a joint sponsor. You have to upload a pen-signed I-864, their ID to prove US citizenship and residency, and their tax information like transcripts and W2 documents. So they should email you the documents and then you upload them. Just bear in mind they would need to print the I-864 form first so it can be signed, then scan it in as a single PDF for uploading to CEAC.
If they send it to you as one pdf per page there are free pdf "distillers" that you can use to combine all the pages of each relevant document into one pdf file per document.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

os306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
1. Yes, your wife will list her UK income.
2. Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one. Back when we did a K-1 visa, we had to mail everything... it wasn't online.

Rene
We were in a similar situation to the OP (my USC spouse is living here with me in the UK so we used a joint sponsor who was based in the US). For the OP's spouse, I was under the impression that her UK earned income would not appear in the "total income" line of her tax transcripts/1040s (it did not in our case, as we used the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion). Therefore, unless I'm mistaken, the wife would not list her UK income in the I-864.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 5:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The USC should fill out the I-864 as appropriate line by line. If the question asks for current income, then she should list it. If the question is asking to list a figure from the tax returns she should list that number. Just because the UK income doesn't count doesn't mean she's not earning it.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2020, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

os306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond repute

The USC should fill out the I-864 as appropriate line by line. If the question asks for current income, then she should list it. If the question is asking to list a figure from the tax returns she should list that number. Just because the UK income doesn't count doesn't mean she's not earning it.

Rene
More than happy to be corrected here, but I was always under the impression that UK income (that will cease once the sponsor moves to the US) should not be entered into the I-864 (see the top of page 2 here: https://photos.state.gov/libraries/u..._webchat10.pdf). The only part of the form that specifically asks for current income is Part 6 Item 7, but this concerns US income. Based on this, the OP's wife should enter "zero" as current income. At least this is what we did recently and were approved....
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:22 pm

In the long run, it probably doesn't matter whether it gets listed or not, as it's the joint sponsor's I-864 that will be looked at more carefully.

Rene
Old Oct 29th 2020, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

In the long run, it probably doesn't matter whether it gets listed or not, as it's the joint sponsor's I-864 that will be looked at more carefully.

Rene
Good point!