I-864 Income Requirements

Wikiposts

I-864 Income Requirements

Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

blinkgoddess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Income Requirements

Hello!!

Filling out the I-864 and just had a quick question about the requirements... I don't want it to get all mailed out only to find out later on we need a joint sponsor.

For the last 14 months I've had a job comfortably above the minimum income requirements, the two years before that my tax return will show an income significantly lower than the requirements. Will they be looking at the last year being above the poverty level, or will they be looking for 3 consecutive years at 125% above the poverty level?

If I've only been above the poverty level for the last year, is it worth filing with a joint sponsor "just in case"?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Income Requirements

Originally Posted by blinkgoddess
Hello!!

Filling out the I-864 and just had a quick question about the requirements... I don't want it to get all mailed out only to find out later on we need a joint sponsor.

For the last 14 months I've had a job comfortably above the minimum income requirements, the two years before that my tax return will show an income significantly lower than the requirements. Will they be looking at the last year being above the poverty level, or will they be looking for 3 consecutive years at 125% above the poverty level?

If I've only been above the poverty level for the last year, is it worth filing with a joint sponsor "just in case"?

Thanks in advance!
They will be looking at your *current* income. You will make note of how much you earned during the past 3 years, but the requirement is not that you must have earned above the poverty level all 3 years, or even last year. What counts is that you are currently earning above the required amount right now, which you are, and have been doing for 14 months.

You should be fine.

I personally would not include a joint sponsor's I-864 in your scenario.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

blinkgoddess is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much!!!
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blinkgoddess
Will they be looking at the last year being above the poverty level, or will they be looking for 3 consecutive years at 125% above the poverty level?
Most people try to join together these two entirely unrelated requirements... 1) current income at 125%; and 2) three years' worth of tax return. They will not look for 3 consecutive years at 125% of the poverty level... because there's no such requirement.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Bring recent pay stubs to prove current income.