Wikiposts

I-864 income query

Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice
Default I-864 income query

Hi all

I just have a quick question regarding the I-864. My interview is next Tuesday in London and I am double checking everything and I just want to query what we've done on the I-864.

Basically my wife hasn't got the income to be my sole sponsor (she is unemployed since July) and although she has savings they don't get anywhere near the needed amount. I am in work but my income isn't near what is needed and we can't use it really anyway because the I-864 instructions state that my income can only be used if the income will continue once I become a PR - and obviously I will leave my job to move to the U.S.

Clearly we have a joint sponsor - that isn't an issue.

So, on the form although we could put my wifes savings we have opted not to. This is an optional part of the form but nonetheless do you think it would look odd to the officer if my wifes I-864 has 0 income and 0 savings?

My theory is that because we have a joint sponsor they will probably only glance at my wifes I-864 - but I don't want any complications so if it would be better to put down all our savings, though they dont meet the requirements, then I will - but I don't see the point personally.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:37 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 income query

A lot of people, unfortunately, have 0 income and 0 savings.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

krazstir is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in the same situation. I'm the USC and am sponsoring my hubby. We've filled in the I-864 form and do not meet the income requirements either, obviously we'll both be leaving our jobs to move to the US. We are also using a joint sponsor.

We have savings, but the money is currently in a UK bank account. I've read that they don't like to see funds in a UK bank account because they want to see you dissolve all connections with the UK. It would mean more to show it's in a US bank account.

The joint sponsor is all that really matters and you would still qualify to get the visa as long as your joint sponsor meets the requirements. That being said though, you can never be too prepared, so if the money is in a US bank account, it probably wouldn't hurt to put it on the I-864 form. Alternatively, you could also write a letter in connection with re-establishing domicile for the usa and put that your savings would assist in this and provide a recent bank statement.

Hope that makes sense.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
Hi all

I just have a quick question regarding the I-864. My interview is next Tuesday in London and I am double checking everything and I just want to query what we've done on the I-864.

Basically my wife hasn't got the income to be my sole sponsor (she is unemployed since July) and although she has savings they don't get anywhere near the needed amount. I am in work but my income isn't near what is needed and we can't use it really anyway because the I-864 instructions state that my income can only be used if the income will continue once I become a PR - and obviously I will leave my job to move to the U.S.

Clearly we have a joint sponsor - that isn't an issue.

So, on the form although we could put my wifes savings we have opted not to. This is an optional part of the form but nonetheless do you think it would look odd to the officer if my wifes I-864 has 0 income and 0 savings?

My theory is that because we have a joint sponsor they will probably only glance at my wifes I-864 - but I don't want any complications so if it would be better to put down all our savings, though they dont meet the requirements, then I will - but I don't see the point personally.
As long as you have a Joint Sponsor who qualifies, it won't be an issue.

Rene
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krazstir
Alternatively, you could also write a letter in connection with re-establishing domicile for the usa and put that your savings would assist in this and provide a recent bank statement.
I didn't go back to read the OP's earlier threads, but I did not see an indication of DCF in this thread.

Rene
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krazstir
I've read that they don't like to see funds in a UK bank account because they want to see you dissolve all connections with the UK.
That's not true - you are not required to dissolve all connections with the UK. What you've read is either incorrect, or you've misinterpreted what was written.

It would mean more to show it's in a US bank account.
Again, not true. When completing the form, simply show the amount in US$ rather than UKĀ£. There are many websites available that'll do the proper conversion.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful

I didn't go back to read the OP's earlier threads, but I did not see an indication of DCF in this thread.
Thats true, i'm sorry for not being clearer about that. I am DCFing.

As long as you have a Joint Sponsor who qualifies, it won't be an issue.
Awesome . That had been my thinking but after reading my wifes I-864 all the zero's concerned me a little.

We have savings, but the money is currently in a UK bank account. I've read that they don't like to see funds in a UK bank account because they want to see you dissolve all connections with the UK. It would mean more to show it's in a US bank account.

The joint sponsor is all that really matters and you would still qualify to get the visa as long as your joint sponsor meets the requirements. That being said though, you can never be too prepared, so if the money is in a US bank account, it probably wouldn't hurt to put it on the I-864 form. Alternatively, you could also write a letter in connection with re-establishing domicile for the usa and put that your savings would assist in this and provide a recent bank statement.
Im pretty sure nobody wants me to dissolve anything . I think I know the spirit that you say that in though - ending ties with the UK does suggest that you intend to domicile elsewhere and putting money into an American would suggest domiciling in America BUT we have got proof of my wifes 2 American bank accounts (one of which still sends bills to my wifes previous, and temporarily in the future, American address). Also we have proof that we have been wiring money from our GB account to the U.S. accounts over the past 3 years. Thats darn good evidence even if I do say so myself .

Thanks again for your help with this - the help I have received on here has been incredible