British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-864 income (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-864-income-901120/)

Tawn26 Aug 3rd 2017 8:37 am

I-864 income

My father is the joint sponsor for my husbands IR-1 application. He has sent me his IRS tax returns and wage and income statements for the last 3 years and we are just a little bit confused what number to put in "my current individual annual income" question on the I-864.

I would assume he would use either the TOTAL INCOME from the tax transcript and then subtract the gross wages from His wife's W2, which seems simple enough.

however, I'm not sure if it is better just to use his main W2 wage, salaries and tips line and then subtract his wife's W2 gross income as that figure is $80,000 less than the TOTAL INCOME listed. We don't have direct evidence for all those other types of income to show they are all only his not hers or combined.

To make it (hopefully) simpler here are the figures:

His IRS wage and income transcript lists his W2 wage as
$118,793

Her W2 is $41,750

His IRS Tax return transcript states in the income section (jointly filed):

Wages salaries and tips: $160,543 (the total of their combined W2 wages)

But total income is: $241,311

Like I said that $80,000 could be 100% his from other sources of income, but I have no way of proving that some of it didn't (or did) come from his wife and he does not want to submit a I-864A for her.

I just don't want to be caught out by the i-864 having the "wrong" number and being invalidated at the interview.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Noorah101 Aug 3rd 2017 10:20 am

Re: I-864 income

He simply lists his own actual annual income. Nothing to do with the tax returns.

The proof of his part of the total income on the tax return is his individual W-2.

Don't forget to have him include his proof of US Citizenship.

Rene

Tawn26 Aug 3rd 2017 10:23 am

I guess my confusion is because he has lots of forms of income that don't fall under his W2. Wouldn't that need to be included in his total income?

Tawn26 Aug 3rd 2017 10:26 am

Oh and I also thought the tax returns and the figures listed on them are relevant because part 6 of the I-864 has a whole section about federal tax return information and you have to list the "adjusted gross income in IRS form 1040ez" for the last 3 years. So they figures will be wildly different to just his w-2 wages

Noorah101 Aug 3rd 2017 10:26 am

Yes. In that case, he should make a table showing what is his income and what is his wife's income.

But there works still be proof of that other income, either a 1099, statement from the bank, social security statement, retirement income statement, whatever the source of income is.

Rene

Noorah101 Aug 3rd 2017 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Tawn26 (Post 12308347)
Oh and I also thought the tax returns and the figures listed on them are relevant because part 6 of the I-864 has a whole section about federal tax return information and you have to list the "adjusted gross income in IRS form 1040ez" for the last 3 years. So they figures will be wildly different to just his w-2 wages

Yes, they are relevant in that section.

There are two sections that ask about income. One is asking for his annual income (regardless of what's on the tax return), and one is asking for a figure directly from the tax return.

Rene