Wikiposts

I-864 Household Size Question

Old May 9th 2011, 2:09 am
Just Joined

petedoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Household Size Question

Originally Posted by jseaward
Hi,

Could you give me some advice about household sizes please?
Some similar advice needed, please. My wife (sponsor) and I will be residing with her folks (FIL is the co-sponsor), who will have a total household size of 5 people including my wife and I. My wife doesn't meet the requirements to be the sole sponsor, so her father will be co-sponsor.

What should my wife and FIL state their household size is on their I-864 forms?

After reading the wiki guide on form I-864 i notice that if people are intending to live with in-laws, they should look to formalize that relationship with a contract. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Pete
Old May 9th 2011, 7:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Supporting Documents

Originally Posted by petedoom
Some similar advice needed, please. My wife (sponsor) and I will be residing with her folks (FIL is the co-sponsor), who will have a total household size of 5 people including my wife and I. My wife doesn't meet the requirements to be the sole sponsor, so her father will be co-sponsor.

After reading the wiki guide on form I-864 i notice that if people are intending to live with in-laws, they should look to formalize that relationship with a contract. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Pete
You have two separate situations that have to be answered separately.

Your wife is your Petition/Sponsor. She has a household size of herself, her defendants and her immigrant (you).

Your FIL is your JOINT Sponsor (not co). You haven't told us about his household yet, but it includes him, his spouse, his dependents and the immigrant (you).

When living in the same household, your FIL can be *either* a JOINT Sponsor or a Household Member. Have a re-read of the instructions to see if either way benefits you more.
Please also see the DCF wiki for more information about the Final Rule (and read it).

Regards formalizing your tenancy with a contract; some people have done this to cement evidence of the US citizen's intent to reestablish domicile. Without knowing her situation, it's unknown if it would help you or not.
It can't really hurt.

I'm splitting your question out to its own thread since it's quite different from the OP.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Your wife is your Petition/Sponsor. She has a household size of herself, her defendants and her immigrant (you).
meauxna, been reading too many courtroom trial books? hehehe.

Rene
Old May 9th 2011, 7:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
meauxna, been reading too many courtroom trial books? hehehe.

Rene
oops, as a matter o' fact...

I should post a pic of my keyboard one day.. there are only about 50% of the letters left on the keys and I make some interesting mistakes...
Old May 9th 2011, 7:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

oops, as a matter o' fact...

I should post a pic of my keyboard one day.. there are only about 50% of the letters left on the keys and I make some interesting mistakes...
OT: LOL, same with my old keyboard. Hubby asked me to come type "youtube" for him one day. I said you know how to type that without me. He said yes, if your keyboard showed the letters, I could find them, but half of yours are blank! LOL

Rene
Old May 10th 2011, 2:27 am
Just Joined

petedoom is an unknown quantity at this point

You have two separate situations that have to be answered separately.

Your FIL is your JOINT Sponsor (not co). You haven't told us about his household yet, but it includes him, his spouse, his dependents and the immigrant (you).

When living in the same household, your FIL can be *either* a JOINT Sponsor or a Household Member. Have a re-read of the instructions to see if either way benefits you more.
Please also see the DCF wiki for more information about the Final Rule (and read it).

Regards formalizing your tenancy with a contract; some people have done this to cement evidence of the US citizen's intent to reestablish domicile. Without knowing her situation, it's unknown if it would help you or not.
It can't really hurt.

I'm splitting your question out to its own thread since it's quite different from the OP.
Thanks for your help
Old May 10th 2011, 3:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Household Size Question

Sit down with the I-864 and it's instructions. Go through each line of item 21 one at a time and it should be clear.

Do it twice, treating your father-in-law as a joint sponsor (2 I-864s) and as a household member (1 I-864 and an I-864A). As meauxna suggested, one way may be more attractive than the other. But keep in mind, the consular officer who handles the case may have his own idea of how he wants it to be done so you may want to be ready with submissions done both ways.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by petedoom
Old May 10th 2011, 11:23 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

You've still got half your letters? tsk, tsk ;P

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8396/

(No, I haven't got one, but I kind of wish I did!)
Old May 10th 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria
You've still got half your letters? tsk, tsk ;P

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8396/

(No, I haven't got one, but I kind of wish I did!)
Love it!
I'm not -that- good though.