Reload this Page >

i-864/a Household Member vs. Joint Sponsor

Wikiposts

i-864/a Household Member vs. Joint Sponsor

Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Procax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i-864/a Household Member vs. Joint Sponsor

My wife (USC) and I are living in London, waiting for the i-130 to be approved and we are getting the other documents together in the mean time.

We will need my father in-law (in the US) to fill out an affidavit of support to fulfill the income requirements. We live in London now but when moving to the states we are planning to live with the in-laws until I get a teaching job.

My wife lives with me here but still has bank/share statements going to her in-laws address for proof of domicile.

Would my father-in-law be classed as a household member or a joint sponsor? He lives at my wife's "permanent(mailing)" address but not where she currently resides (in London). Any help appreciated.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: i-864/a Household Member vs. Joint Sponsor

This is no help to you, but I'm going to be in the same position soon. We were going to fill out two sets of paperwork to account for either scenario since, from what I've heard, it depends on the preference of the ConOff on the day.

Regards,
James
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JSL8610
We were going to fill out two sets of paperwork to account for either scenario since, from what I've heard, it depends on the preference of the ConOff on the day.
I think that's probably wise.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:11 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

This has been discussed in many threads, some of them fairly recent. Try using the Search function.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Procax
Would my father-in-law be classed as a household member or a joint sponsor?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
This has been discussed in many threads, some of them fairly recent. Try using the Search function.

Regards, JEff
Thanks for this oh so helpful comment. I've tried searching extensively but have not found an answer specifically to our situation. Care to post a link to these thread's you mention?

Can anyone else give us some actually helpful advice?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Would my father-in-law be classed as a household member or a joint sponsor? He lives at my wife's "permanent(mailing)" address but not where she currently resides (in London). Any help appreciated.
From what I've seen happen on this forum, it could go either way. Since your wife will be living with her father when she arrives in the USA, she can use her father's income on her I-864 as a contributing household member.

But she doesn't HAVE to do it that way. Her father can also be considered a simple Joint Sponsor and then he would do his own separate I-864.

I've seen folks in your situation do the paperwork both ways, bring both to the visa interview, and then hand over whichever one the ConOff likes better.

Rene
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this oh so helpful comment.
Actually, that was a helpful comment. When JEff posted almost a week ago, we had no idea whether or not you had done a search... and so one was suggested as a viable course of action.

I've tried searching extensively but have not found an answer specifically to our situation.
You understand, I hope, that this is new information that wasn't given in your first post! We are not responsible for your reaction when you decline to give pertinent information.

Ian
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:24 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rene's post was a good, concise presentation. My way of stating it is, the consular officer who handles the visa application will determine, based on the information provided in the I-864 package, whether the sponsor's father should be treated as a Joint Sponsor or as a Household Member. So, do it both ways and present it the way that the father prefers (he's the one who is being put 'on the hook'.) If the consular officer accepts it, great. If the consular officer decides that they want the other way, hand over the second package that was prepared the other way.

The same explanations have been given by Rene and myself and others numerous times, don't know why you couldn'f find any of them. Your situation is nothing unique, the identical situation is posted frequently.

Regards, JEff

Can anyone else give us some actually helpful advice?