I-864 Help - Household size and tax information

Wikiposts

I-864 Help - Household size and tax information

Old Sep 5th 2015, 3:02 am
Just Joined

NJ_USA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Help - Household size and tax information

Hello,

I am filling out the I-864 as the only joint sponsor for my daughter's husband. In my household size, I included my husband and my daughter's husband, but not my daughter as she is still in the UK with her husband.

I did not include anyone else's income from the household as mine exceeds the requirement. It then asks for my adjusted gross income from the three most recent tax years. I'm unsure what to put there because I filed jointly with my husband and so our adjusted gross income reported includes my husband's earnings. It seems strange to include there as I did not list his income in the previous section.

I was thinking of putting the joint income as reported in our tax return and then using the Additional Information section on page 12 to specify what I earned in each of those years. Would this be the right way to proceed?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Help - Household size and tax information

Originally Posted by NJ_USA
I am filling out the I-864 as the only joint sponsor for my daughter's husband. In my household size, I included my husband and my daughter's husband, but not my daughter as she is still in the UK with her husband.
The real reason you're not including your daughter is that she's a USC and doesn't need financial sponsorship to return to the USA.

It then asks for my adjusted gross income from the three most recent tax years. I'm unsure what to put there because I filed jointly with my husband and so our adjusted gross income reported includes my husband's earnings. It seems strange to include there as I did not list his income in the previous section.
Strange or not, that is what the form asks for. List the adjusted gross income from the three most recent tax years (as listed on the tax return). Yes, it will include your husband's income.

I was thinking of putting the joint income as reported in our tax return and then using the Additional Information section on page 12 to specify what I earned in each of those years. Would this be the right way to proceed?
Yes, I believe so. Also, I believe there is a question on the I-864 which asks for YOUR specific income (excluding your husband's).

Rene