Wikiposts

I-864 HELP

Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Johnny5isAlive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 HELP

1. My USC Wife recently graduated from college with a masters degree which puts her over the poverty income line. Her w2’s before this year do not show enough income and her current pay stub for the year does not show enough either. However from now on she will be. She has a contract from her current employer showing that her current income is over the poverty line. Will this be sufficient to have the I-684 approved.
2. When do you file the EAD and how do you go about filing it if you have no trip intended yet? This would be for emergencies only. I entered the country on a visa waiver with no intention to marry.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 HELP

Originally Posted by Johnny5isAlive
1. My USC Wife recently graduated from college with a masters degree which puts her over the poverty income line. Her w2’s before this year do not show enough income and her current pay stub for the year does not show enough either. However from now on she will be. She has a contract from her current employer showing that her current income is over the poverty line. Will this be sufficient to have the I-684 approved.
The letter plus a few pay stubs should be sufficient.

2. When do you file the EAD and how do you go about filing it if you have no trip intended yet? This would be for emergencies only. I entered the country on a visa waiver with no intention to marry.
You are a bit confused. The EAD - employment authorization document has nothing to do with travel. You are thinking of A/P - advance parole.

The fee is included in the package so complete it and use it only if you are overstay free.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She has a contract from her current employer showing that her current income is over the poverty line. Will this be sufficient to have the I-684 approved.
I agree with Rete, the contract plus pay stubs should be okay to meet the requirements of the I-864.

This would be for emergencies only.
Rete corrected your misunderstanding between EAD and A/P, but you're also making a common mistake - confusing the word "emergent" with "emergency". They aren't the same. The house on fire is an emergency situation... suddenly deciding to stop at WalMart on the way home from work is an emergent situation.

Ian
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Johnny5isAlive is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I agree with Rete, the contract plus pay stubs should be okay to meet the requirements of the I-864.

Rete corrected your misunderstanding between EAD and A/P, but you're also making a common mistake - confusing the word "emergent" with "emergency". They aren't the same. The house on fire is an emergency situation... suddenly deciding to stop at WalMart on the way home from work is an emergent situation.

Ian
EAD is the work document you are correct, I was tired we were up til 2am filling out forms lol
I meant the travel document for question 2, As for the emergency need to travel if one occurs ( hence family ill for example )
My wife has a contract for the year with her place of employment and is retrieving some pay stubbs.
We are worried as prior to her start in her new job this year, she did not earn enough before that as she was aquiring her Masters degree.
We are unsure if we should get a co-sponsor to be sure or if we should let it ride with her contract and stubbs.

Thanks for all your help
Old Dec 5th 2009, 4:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

As for the emergency need to travel if one occurs ( hence family ill for example )
You can travel even if it's not an emergency... hence the distinction between "emergency" and "emergent".

We are worried as prior to her start in her new job this year, she did not earn enough before that as she was aquiring her Masters degree.
She wasn't required to have earned 125% of the poverty line in the years prior to submitting the paperwork. People get confused about that. Current income is what matters.

We are unsure if we should get a co-sponsor to be sure or if we should let it ride with her contract and stubbs.
If you can get a joint sponsor, that would take care of your anxiety. You will not know whether her I-864 is accepted until after you submit the application paperwork. Having a joint sponsor in your back pocket just in case, is well worth it. If you do get one, be sure the joint sponsor earns or has assets comfortably above the minimum required... otherwise, you'll just be worrying about that also!

Ian