I-864 and domicile

Old Nov 13th 2016, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Famous Mortimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 and domicile

Hello again! My final interview at the Embassy is on Wednesday, so I'm just going through all the forms, making sure I've got everything, and so on.

One of the final things is looking through the I-864, and part 4 - "information about you (sponsor)". My wife is acting as my sponsor, as she's got plenty of money, has continued to pay taxes in the US, has bank accounts there, votes regularly, and so on. Then, I read the I-864 help document, which said she doesn't need to have established domicile in the US as long as:

"you intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the US no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status".

Then it suggests some things you can do, like accepting a job, buying a house, or registering children in US schools. The issue I have is, how can she do any of that without knowing if my application will be approved? Seems counter-intuitive to say in one section "don't make any big plans until after you've been approved" then in another to say "you need to have done all this big stuff before we'll consider approving you".

She has:

- US bank accounts
- US tax returns
- voted regularly
- a brother who's already offered us a place to stay, in writing

So, I'm hoping one of you can help, if you've been through something similar. If I need something more substantial than that, then this could be a pretty big problem.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Default Re: I-864 and domicile

As an aside, we've started the process of selling our house in the UK, and have several valuations in writing. Will this prove we're ready to buy a house in the US, and go towards re-establishing domicile?
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous Mortimer
Then it suggests some things you can do...
Fortunately, there's a lot more she can do. Immigration isn't just about starting over in the US, it's about wrapping things up in the UK also. So, what about paperwork saying you're letting go of your home, having an estate agent on board - both in the UK and the US, a letter of resignation for work, evidence of job hunting in the US... it's a two-way street.

If I need something more substantial than that, then this could be a pretty big problem.
It's never actually been an issue.

As an aside, we've started the process of selling our house in the UK, and have several valuations in writing.
Ah, yes!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 13th 2016 at 12:49 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She just has to show intent to domicile. Yes, the house valuation and property listing, agent contract, etc are good proofs of intent. How about property hunting in the USA? If you have kids, then school searches? A resignation letter to her employer (she doesn't have to turn it in yet).

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Cheers to you both, we've spent months looking at places in the US, but it's all been online. I guess I could print off some emails from US estate agents? I'm just anxious, I guess.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous Mortimer
Cheers to you both, we've spent months looking at places in the US, but it's all been online. I guess I could print off some emails from US estate agents? I'm just anxious, I guess.
Yep, that would work. You probably won't even be asked for any of this, but good to be prepared just in case.

Rene