I-864 AOS Questions

Old Jul 29th 2021, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

J2726 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 AOS Questions

Hi, all!

Just a few quick questions about income requirements as requested on the I-864, as I fear I'm getting confused by exactly what information we need to supply. I did try searching, however was unable to turn up anything especially concrete.

To set the scene: I, USC, will be sponsoring my UKC spouse (Dave2726) for immigration to the US. I-130 was approved last month and we are now at NVC. My father will be joint sponsor, as we do not otherwise meet the financial requirements. My father meets the income requirements on his own, though is married (to my stepmother). He will be supplying an IRS transcript for the most recent tax year, as well as his and his wife's W-2s.

1. Are transcripts/W-2s for the three most recent tax years required? I-864 indicates only the most recent tax year is required, and the other two are optional, however I keep seeing advice to submit all three. Would this be of any benefit, or is it just unnecessary?

2. Do I report my own income on my I-864? It is UK-based income, and I presume it will not be continuing. There's a bit of a grey area here as the company I work for also operates in the US, however I've not yet discussed with them the possibility of staying on so I don't know if this is an option.

3. When we submitted the I-130, we provided my mother's address in the US. She has since moved, and will not be joint sponsoring the application. Do I need to update the address we provided on the I-130? If so, how?

My other questions relate to specific portions of the I-864.

Part 6

7. My current individual annual income is:
Would this just be my father's income, as indicated on an employment contract (e.g. what he would expect to earn in the coming year)? Or would this be what was submitted on his most recent tax return? If it makes any difference, he and his wife recently moved states and have changed jobs.

8-19. Other household members.
I'm thinking we fill nothing out here, as my stepmother's income is not being used to meet the financial requirements. Or would we put my stepmother on here, because she is included in the household size?

20. My current annual household income.
This is where I'm really confused... My father/stepmother file joint taxes. Household, to me, means income from all parties included on the joint tax return. However the form indicates it's the total of all income lines from 6-19, so, just my father's income? What goes here?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ETA: Further questions added above (2 and 3).

Last edited by J2726; Jul 29th 2021 at 7:33 pm. Reason: Further information
Old Jul 30th 2021, 1:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 AOS Questions

1. 1 year is required, 3 years helps the case of income was good all 3 years. Better to include it just in case, rather than be asked for it and not have it in hand.

2. Yes, report your UK income. The form asks for it, so zero is the wrong answer.

3. Just use the new US address on forms going forward.

For your "Part 6" questions, you say "we", but then you refer to the joint sponsor's I-864. Are you asking about your own I-864, or your father's?

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2021, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For your "Part 6" questions, you say "we", but then you refer to the joint sponsor's I-864. Are you asking about your own I-864, or your father's?
I apologize for my use of unclear language - the Part 6 questions are in relation to what my father would put on his own I-864.

Thanks for your help on the other points.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

7. "Current" = right now. The current salary of his current job. The current income doesn't have to be similar to the income on past years' tax returns

8. If she is not filling out I-864A, her income would not be counted here

20. This is just the sum of the current incomes above; in this case, since no household members are filling out I-864A, this is the same as his current individual income. Again, this does not have to be similar to the income on past years' tax returns.

But on #24a-c, he would still put the exact number from the "total income" line from his tax returns from the last 3 years, even if he filed jointly and that income includes both of their incomes.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newacct
7. "Current" = right now. The current salary of his current job. The current income doesn't have to be similar to the income on past years' tax returns

8. If she is not filling out I-864A, her income would not be counted here

20. This is just the sum of the current incomes above; in this case, since no household members are filling out I-864A, this is the same as his current individual income. Again, this does not have to be similar to the income on past years' tax returns.

But on #24a-c, he would still put the exact number from the "total income" line from his tax returns from the last 3 years, even if he filed jointly and that income includes both of their incomes.
Thank you very much for your help - you've both pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.