Reload this Page >

I-864 affidavit of support question

Wikiposts

I-864 affidavit of support question

Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sweetscottishchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 affidavit of support question

My USC fiance soon to be hubby( next couple of months) is a student and currently not earning anything. He's also going to law school after graduating next year. Would my savings, assets , well over the 3 x spouse limit be enough or would it be advisable to get a co-sponsor? And does the co-sponsor have to be a U.S. citizen, or can a legal permanent resident sign as a co-sponsor?

We're planning to go for CR-1 visa so it gives us more time. I've graduated and plan to work asap once I return to the UK. When the process is at the stage for the petitioner (i.e my husband then) needs to fill the 1-864 form can my earnings, assets, savings be included? The instructions on the form says that the intended immigrant spouse's earnings, assets can be included. Just need confirmation from anyone else who has gone through this. There must be young students who fell in love and got married before their career began? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:01 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 affidavit of support question

The immigrating spouse can use their assets/savings toward the requirement (my DH did), but cash savings are a much better choice than assets. If you haven't got the full amount in savings excluding assets it is probably a good idea to get a co sponsor.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by avanutria
The immigrating spouse can use their assets/savings toward the requirement (my DH did), but cash savings are a much better choice than assets. If you haven't got the full amount in savings excluding assets it is probably a good idea to get a co sponsor.
Thanks so much. I do have more than the stipulated amount in cash, but I feel that I may also get a co-sponsor just to be sure. Can a legal permanent resident sign as a co-sponsor?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sweetscottishchick
Thanks so much. I do have more than the stipulated amount in cash, but I feel that I may also get a co-sponsor just to be sure. Can a legal permanent resident sign as a co-sponsor?
Yes, a joint sponsor can be any US or US PR, age 18+, living in the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sweetscottishchick
The term used is "Joint Sponsor" and the guidelines for them are also in the instructions.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
The term used is "Joint Sponsor" and the guidelines for them are also in the instructions.
Thanks, appreciate it!