I-864 Affidavit of Support

Wikiposts

I-864 Affidavit of Support

Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:45 am
Just Joined

havoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Affidavit of Support

Hello everyone

I have a couple of questions regarding form I-864 and would appreciate some advice.

Q1. Household size

My fiancées mother has moved out of the family home and is allowing us to live there. Currently my fiancées brother and his girlfriend also live there but they support themselves and have no financial dependence from us, basically they just share the property. Would my fiancée and I still qualify as a household size of two?

Q2. Financial Support

The current poverty guideline for a household of two is $18,212. My fiancée does not currently meet the guideline through salary alone as she does not work fulltime. She earns around $8,500. After deducting her salary from the poverty guideline and multiplying by three (as we will be married at this point) she requires $29,139 in assets to make up the difference ($18,212 - $8,500 = $9,712 x 3 = $29,139). She has $11,000 in savings which after deduction would leave her needing $18,137. Can I use my savings to cover the outstanding $18,137?

If this is possible do I have to move my savings into a US bank before filing form I-864? My savings are currently held in my UK bank. With the current exchange rate being so bad I would prefer to move my savings at a later date. I can provide a letter from my UK bank showing the current balance on my savings as well as copies of recent bank statements.

I have noticed on Q28 of the I-864 that I have to give my assets in dollars but my assets are in GB pounds, should I use the current exchange rate to convert my assets into dollars or should I write pounds on the form?

Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Affidavit of Support

Originally Posted by havoc
I have noticed on Q28 of the I-864 that I have to give my assets in dollars but my assets are in GB pounds, should I use the current exchange rate to convert my assets into dollars or should I write pounds on the form?
Assets must be listed in USD. Do a conversion on the day you sign the I-864 and use that amount. I believe you can use your own assets (savings) in the UK bank to make up the difference, yes. Once you are married, your assets automatically become "joint".

Rene
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:57 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Affidavit of Support

h,

I have a couple of questions regarding form I-864 and would appreciate some advice.

Q1. Household size

My fiancées mother has moved out of the family home and is allowing us to live there. Currently my fiancées brother and his girlfriend also live there but they support themselves and have no financial dependence from us, basically they just share the property. Would my fiancée and I still qualify as a household size of two?
Sit down with a copy of the I-864 side by side with a copy of the I-864 instructions. Go through items a. through h. of question 21 one at a time in sequence. You will have your answer. Skipping directly to item h. is a sure way to confuse yourself.

Q2. Financial Support

The current poverty guideline for a household of two is $18,212. My fiancée does not currently meet the guideline through salary alone as she does not work fulltime. She earns around $8,500. After deducting her salary from the poverty guideline and multiplying by three (as we will be married at this point) she requires $29,139 in assets to make up the difference ($18,212 - $8,500 = $9,712 x 3 = $29,139). She has $11,000 in savings which after deduction would leave her needing $18,137. Can I use my savings to cover the outstanding $18,137?
This also is answered in the I-864 instructions.

If this is possible do I have to move my savings into a US bank before filing form I-864? My savings are currently held in my UK bank. With the current exchange rate being so bad I would prefer to move my savings at a later date. I can provide a letter from my UK bank showing the current balance on my savings as well as copies of recent bank statements.?
This also is answered in the I-864 instructions.

You've given the answer in your statement of the question.

Regards, JEff