Wikiposts

I-797 (NOA for I-751)

Old Dec 14th 2005, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

ChiMiigwech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-797 (NOA for I-751)

Hi people,
Just got I-797 in the mail that says: your alien card is extended one year employment & travel authorized, bla bla bla.

My questions:
Can I use this to renew my drivers liscence that expires next month?
Can I use this to travel outside of the US?
How do I use it for those purposes?

Any informations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Yanne
Old Dec 14th 2005, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-797 (NOA for I-751)

Originally Posted by yannecantik
Yes. Your GC has expired, not your status.

Can I use this to travel outside of the US?
Yes.

How do I use it for those purposes?
You show the letter and your expired GC to whoever needs to see them.

Ian
Old Dec 14th 2005, 4:29 pm
Denis

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:47:30 +0000, yannecantik
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi people,
    >Just got I-797 in the mail that says: your alien card is extended one
    >year employment & travel authorized, bla bla bla.
    >My questions:
    >Can I use this to renew my drivers liscence that expires next month?
    >Can I use this to travel outside of the US?
    >How do I use it for those purposes?
    >Any informations will be greatly appreciated.
    >Thanks,
    >Yanne

Hi Yanne,

Don't know about the drivers license but I just used mine when I
returned from a trip to the UK last month. Just gave the immigration
officer my expired green card along with the I-797, no problems.

Denis

Old Dec 15th 2005, 1:18 am
Polish Jelly

ania is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the same letter. My GC is about to expire - 1 month left. When just a few days ago I was coming back from Canada, the Immigration Officer made sure I knew that my GC was about to expire. I told him that I'd already sent the form for renewal and got NOA back. When I asked if I would have any problems with traveling with my expired GC and NOA, he said the letter would be just fine, and I shouldn't worry at all.

So Yanne, you don't need to worry at all.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 2:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Yanne
Hi Yanne,

Ian already answered your drivers license question, but I wanted to add that if you use the letter to renew your drivers license, you might only get a license valid for one more year. Arizona DMV seems to only give a license for as long as the document you are showing them is valid.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Default I-797 (NOA for I-751), drivers liscense renewal problem

Hi everyone,
Just got back from local DMV/MVD to renew my drivers liscense. They said that they can't receive my I-797 as a documentation to renew my DL. They said that I need to wait for my new GC to renew my DL.

I knew this would happen. The thing is, does that DMV person really know what's going on? People in this forum wrote that it's not a problem to renew DL using expired GC and extension letter. So, who's right?

My question is, anyone in AZ ever experience this before (Rene maybe)? Should I just go to an DMV office that complies with this?

Thank you guys,
Yanne
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-797 (NOA for I-751), drivers liscense renewal problem

Hi everyone,
Just got back from local DMV/MVD to renew my drivers liscense. They said that they can't receive my I-797 as a documentation to renew my DL. They said that I need to wait for my new GC to renew my DL.

I knew this would happen. The thing is, does that DMV person really know what's going on? People in this forum wrote that it's not a problem to renew DL using expired GC and extension letter. So, who's right?

My question is, anyone in AZ ever experience this before (Rene maybe)? Should I just go to an DMV office that complies with this?

Thank you guys,
Yanne
Hi Yanne,

Sorry I didn't read your thread earlier. Sadegh isn't at this point yet...he won't be filing I-751 until 2007, so we haven't been through this part yet.

Try talking to a supervisor at DMV, someone higher up that can override the person at the window/counter. I imagine someone in there can say "yes, the extension letter will be acceptable".

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:01 am
Frank

> Try talking to a supervisor at DMV, someone higher up that can override
    > the person at the window/counter. I imagine someone in there can say
    > "yes, the extension letter will be acceptable".
^^^
DMV was always a place where information/responses depends on which window
you are at, the weather and phase of the moon. It's standard to call ahead
of time and be told you need one thing, arrive to be told its not acceptable
and ask to see the supervisor who accepts it. 9/11 only made them more
suspect/unsure.

-
    > Best Wishes,
    > Rene
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Thank for all the replies. News update on my situation: I called the DMV call center and spoke with a supervisor. He said specifically that as long as I have the I-797 saying that my alien card is extended bla bla bla, I can still renew my drivers liscense. But I will have to speak with a supervisor.

I know I should have done this when I was actually there. But I left because the system was down, statewide. So they can't process any DLs. Infact, the system was still down the last time I called them (15 mins ago). The system has been down pretty much all day long now. Because I was there first thing in the morning when they just opened.

Anyhow, I feel pretty much at ease now.

Yanne
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

kenobi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank for all the replies. News update on my situation: I called the DMV call center and spoke with a supervisor. He said specifically that as long as I have the I-797 saying that my alien card is extended bla bla bla, I can still renew my drivers liscense. But I will have to speak with a supervisor.

I know I should have done this when I was actually there. But I left because the system was down, statewide. So they can't process any DLs. Infact, the system was still down the last time I called them (15 mins ago). The system has been down pretty much all day long now. Because I was there first thing in the morning when they just opened.

Anyhow, I feel pretty much at ease now.

Yanne
I live in CA, I'm in the same situation like you and and I renewd my DL online - www.dmv.ca.gov after I received in the mail the letter from DMV telling me that my DL is going to expire..... So, nobody asked me for any immigration documents.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys,
I finally got my DL! Yippie!!!

I went to one of those offices that open on saturdays. It was packed. People started lining up an hour before it open. The whole INS experience once again. Hehe...

Long story short, the lady who processed everything was very friendly. She didn't even wait for me to ask for a supervisor. She did that on her own will. My DL was renewed for one year from the NOA date.

It's a happy ending.

Cheers,
Yanne