Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 transfer to VSC - received confusing notice

Wikiposts

I-751 transfer to VSC - received confusing notice

Old Aug 30th 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

RogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really nice
Default I-751 transfer to VSC - received confusing notice

To my surprise my wife got this email notification from some unknown person with USCIS. It has us confused because of the timing of it. It said my wife's I-751 (now CRI89) was just now transfered from Texas Service Center to Vermont.

Last year back in June 17, 2007, my wife mailed in her I-751 to the Texas center which was the correct one back at time. In June 2008 she gets a NOA for more needed evidence on her I-751 from the Vermont center without any prior notice of transfer. Her online status check still says being processed at Texas.
So I then assumed for whatever reason of transfer, Vermont is now processing her forms since back in June of this year.
Now on August 28, the wife gets this email saying that on Aug 28 2008 they transfered her case to Vermont. I assume this email was from some processing clerk in the Texas center.

Here is a timeline to make it more clear.

June 17, 2007 US postal service track and confirm says I751 received at TX service center.

June 21, 2007 Notice date on I-797 NOA that my wife received saying I751 received and her CR status been extended for one year.

July 27, 2007 I took my wife to the local field office to have biometrics done per appointment letter.

June 25, 2008 Notice date on NOA that my wife recieved from VERMONT. It says doumentation submitted insufficient. Respond with additional material to VERMONT by August 9,2008.

August 7, 2008 US Postal service track and confirm says our additional requested info has been received in VERMONT. Online status check still is unchanged from the beginning which says I751 being processed in TX.

August 28, 2008 My wife gets this email from an alias at USCIS saying -
Current Status: Case Transfered to Another Office for Processing
On August 28, 2008, we transferred this case CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED to our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location for processing and sent you a notice explaining this action. Please follow the instructions provided on the notice. We will notify you by mail when a decision is made.

Also at this time, my wife's online status check was updated to say the same thing this email said.

She has not yet received any notice in the mail.

I saw the new posting in this forum about new I-751 filing instructions. I see that the Texas Service Center no longer is shown as a place to send the forms for processing. But I still see online that there is an I-751 processing date shown for the Texas Service Center.

Anyway, would anyone know what could have happend? If my wife's forms are already transfered to Vermont back in June, how could they be transfered now on August 28?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 transfer to VSC - received confusing notice

The email notifications and online status updates are not well known for being reliable. All I can think of is that you're getting a very late notice that your file was transfered to VSC, something you already know on your own already.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

RogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really niceRogerL9119 is just really nice

UPDATE

Sept 2.2008 My wife received another email from USCIS. This time it says -

Application Type: CRI89 , PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED

'Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

The CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED was transferred and is now pending standard processing at a USCIS office. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. ....'

Sept 6, 2008 We received our son's birth certificate in the mail from USCIS Vermont. I had sent it in on Aug. 7 with the additional info they requested. I had requested with the birth certificate to return it to us.

Since we got that back, does it mean that they are now working on my wife's case? I am hoping they approve and send her the new card before the conditional card expires on Sept 14.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerL9119
UPDATE

Sept 6, 2008 We received our son's birth certificate in the mail from USCIS Vermont. I had sent it in on Aug. 7 with the additional info they requested. I had requested with the birth certificate to return it to us.

Since we got that back, does it mean that they are now working on my wife's case? I am hoping they approve and send her the new card before the conditional card expires on Sept 14.

Lucky for you that they returned the BC. Why would you send an original and why could you have not gotten another original for your records from the hall of records?

As for your question, your case is on someone's desk and the requested information made its way to your file. A very good sign that they case is currently active.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:02 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

UPDATE

Sept 2.2008 My wife received another email from USCIS. This time it says -

Application Type: CRI89 , PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED

'Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

The CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED was transferred and is now pending standard processing at a USCIS office. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. ....'

Hi:

I read the situation as the file was transferred to CSC and when they were in the process of transferring it, they also sent you the original birth certificate.

Of course, I'm well aware of the fact that the date of action noted on line or in an e-mail does NOT necessesarily meet the precise mailing date. I'm working on an adjustment right now where the on-line says denied on August 1st, and InfoPass says mailed to client and myself at correct addresses on that date. I then get snail-mail from MSC says the file is still pending and we will hear in 60 days. Call 800 misinformation and they tell me that letter sent out by mistake and I will receive new notices. However, the next thing we get is the SAME letter that was previously sent by mistake.

DHS can work in strange and mysterious ways. They can and do drive the lawyers nuts also.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Lucky for you that they returned the BC. Why would you send an original and why could you have not gotten another original for your records from the hall of records?
On the first page of the NOA for more documentation it states in large bold underlined, all caps print - THIS NOTICE MUST BE SUBMITTED IN THE ORIGINAL WITH THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

I took it that meant to submit originals where applicable.

On the second page it said - the birth certificate must be issued by the appropriate civil authority showing timely registration, date, etc.

But in a paragraph above that it states in small print - Submit copies of documents indicating that the marriage upon which you were granted conditional status was entered in good faith.

So what is a person suppose to think! It sounded like they wanted the original birth certificate, I guessed to prove the authencity of the stamped seal.

Of course I wanted it back. I paid $23 dollars for it and I felt USCIS was not going to reimburse me for it.
In my cover letter I requested the return of it in unfolded, unmarked condition and that is how I got it. But they should have used a padded envelope for better protection.

Well its good to know her forms are not buried very deep.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

On the first page of the NOA for more documentation it states in large bold underlined, all caps print - THIS NOTICE MUST BE SUBMITTED IN THE ORIGINAL WITH THE REQUESTED INFORMATION.

FWIW, I read that as "return the original copy of this notice (letter) with what we've asked you for (the 'requested information')."

In my cover letter I requested the return of it in unfolded, unmarked condition and that is how I got it. But they should have used a padded envelope for better protection.
Are you kidding? No, really!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No... it means return the original notice - y'know, the thing you were holding in your hands.

But they should have used a padded envelope for better protection.
I'm glad it worked out for you, but you seem quite naive! Despite your wishes, USCIS is not obligated to return anything to you.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I don't double dip on some of the good quotes you pull!

Sorry RogerL, the padded envelope was simply too good to pass by.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I read the situation as the file was transferred to CSC and when they were in the process of transferring it, they also sent you the original birth certificate.

Of course, I'm well aware of the fact that the date of action noted on line or in an e-mail does NOT necessesarily meet the precise mailing date.
I suspect I-751 was really transfered from Texas to Vermont at least far back as June, because June 25 is the date of the NOA for more documentation which I actually got on July 2. The envelope had a return address of Vermont and was postmarked with a Vermont zip code. So I figure it had been already transfered to Vermont. How else would someone at Vermont know that our I-751 needed more info?

Then when the email came on Aug 28 that the case was transfered to another office, I thought that was odd.
Then again another email, this time on Sept 2 saying this case was received and is pending. Now I found that absolutley weird. I noticed it did not name any locations, as if these messages were generated by some means of bulk processing.

The Texas SC needs an overhaul. They have been nothing but a pain. So far Vermont SC is class A in my experience.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It means that when submitting the evidence you must submit the original notice

[/quote]
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
It means that when submitting the evidence you must submit the original notice
Thank you everyone for your responses.
Yes I realize now that I should have sent a copy of the BC.
The NOA request for more documentation had showed up in our mailbox the day after my wife got out of the hospital with our newborn son. So I was highly distracted at the time I read it and had to hastidly gather the documentation when I had spare moments in order to beat the deadline.

I had read in the past on an immigration website that if you want return of an original document be sure to request it and it will be returned. Then again on some types of forms I remember it saying to be sure to send copies because originals will not be returned. But I did not see that statement on the I-751 so I was fairly confident the BC would be returned back to me.

Oh in our mailbox today, my wife received two NOAs from the TX service center notifying her of the transfer, basically saying what the email had said. The second NOA was a duplicate of the first.
I suppose in a couple more days she will get another NOA this time from Vermont repeating what their email said about case received and is being processed.
So now it is wait and hope time.