British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   i-751: sworn affidavits as the evidence of our relationship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-751-sworn-affidavits-evidence-our-relationship-539538/)

luchikosho May 28th 2008 5:07 pm

i-751: sworn affidavits as the evidence of our relationship

Hi everybody,
We prepared the texts of our sworn affidavits. May be somebody would like to read them as samples.
We have three persons who could give us the affidavits but we’d like to pick two. Who would you pick? Any other comments?
Here are the three texts.

Irena **-**-** (full, legal name (with the middle initial or name if there is one) like on legal documents such as Social Security Card and driving license))
Address (current)
Phone #

Date

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to verify that I have known Sonya **-**-** since the year of 2004.
My ex husband, Alexander **-**-**, met Sonya in Moscow, when he was visiting Russia. Sonya and Alexander were married in March 2005.
Alexander and I remain good friends and share everything that’s going on in our lives.
We call each other almost every day. I feel Alexander is happy with Sonya. They are always together and even do everything together: shopping, cooking… Despite their age gap they have so many common interests. It’s not just love between them but friendship and mutual support which, I think, is the main feature of a real family.
When Sonya and Alexander were leaving Russia for the US I took the responsibility and became Sonya’s joint sponsor to help her get the visa.
They are happily married and looking forward to their years ahead. I am glad Alexander found his happiness.

Sincerely,

Signature
Date of birth (as precise as possible - month/day/year)
Birthplace (as precise as possible - town or city where you were born, followed by the state, province or county, zip or post code followed by the country)

Ricardo **-**-** (full, legal name (with the middle initial or name if there is one) like on legal documents such as Social Security Card and driving license))
Address (current)
Phone #

Date

To whom it may concern:
I met Sonya **-**-** and Alexander **-**-** in Nov 2006. They lived in an apartment next to mine. So, we were neighbors and became friends. I am an auto mechanic. I repaired their car. After a while they moved and I have visited them regularly at their new place. We get together once in a while. Sonya cooks very well. They are very hospitable. Their home atmosphere is comfortable and relaxing. Sonya and Alexander really love each other and they are devoted to each other. They talk a lot about their plans for future. I am sure this is a genuine marriage.

Sincerely,

Signature
Birthplace (as precise as possible - town or city where born, followed by the state, province or county, zip or post code followed by the country)

Nancy **-**-**
Address
Phone #
Date
To whom it may concern:

I met Sonya **-**-** in Apr 2000. My husband and I are Seventh-Day Adventists. In 2000 we were conducting an evangelistic program in Siberia, Russia. Sonya attended the program and at the end of it she was baptized. I am her godmother. Ever since Sonya and I have kept in touch through e-mail and phone calls. Sonya has been keeping me aware of everything what’s going on in her life.
She met Alexander **-**-** in July 2004 in Moscow, Russia. They got married in March 2005 and came to the US in Nov 2006. Sonya and Alexander visited us at our house in May 2007. There is certainly chemistry between them. They are a happy couple.
Sincerely,

Signature
Birthplace (as precise as possible - town or city where born, followed by the state, province or county, zip or post code followed by the country)

We’d like to get our affidavits notarized.
At http://www.uscis.gov we found the sample form of a notarized affidavit.
Probably, many of you came across on it.
I feel a little uncertain about this form.
How does it, actually, work?
Should our friend use this form to prepare the affidavit and a public notary will just seal it, or what?
Here is the form:

BEFORE THE UNITED STATES CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

#A123456789

IN RE: JOINT PETITION OF
JOHN AND JANE SMITH TO
REMOVE CONDITIONS ON
RESIDENCE OF JANE SMITH
/

AFFIDAVIT OF BUDDY O’MINE

BEFORE ME, the undersigned authority, personally appeared BUDDY O’MINE who, after being first duly sworn and cautioned upon his oath, deposes and states:
1. My name is Buddy O’Mine. I live at 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA. I was born in Anytown, USA on July 4, 1976. I have personal knowledge of the facts set forth herein.
2. I have been a close personal friend of John Smith since he was twelve years old. He met Jane Jones when he traveled to London, England with me in August 2002.
3. [Additional information regarding personal knowledge of marriage/relationship]
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT
COUNTY OF ____________ )

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _________, 2007, by BUDDY O’MINE, who personally appeared before me, is personally known to me or produced _____________________________ as identification, and did take an oath.

Notary:
[NOTARIAL SEAL] Print Name:
Notary Public, State of
My commission expires:

THANKS EVERYBODY

Noorah101 May 28th 2008 5:21 pm

Re: i-751: sworn affidavits as the evidence of our relationship

You know that the sworn affidavits are optional, right? If you have enough other joint evidence, you don't need them at all.

Rene

Rete May 28th 2008 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6405625)
You know that the sworn affidavits are optional, right? If you have enough other joint evidence, you don't need them at all.

Rene

And that they don't have to be signed by a notary.

Immigrants shoudl not be writing letters for others to sign. It should only be a suggestion of what should be written. If the other person signs it as it is, then might it not be considered fraudulent?

Folinskyinla May 28th 2008 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by luchikosho (Post 6405568)
Hi everybody,
We prepared the texts of our sworn affidavits. May be somebody would like to read them as samples.

Hi:

IMHO, the affidavits are the weakest sort of evidence. They are optional. I only put them in if the evidence in other aspects is quite weak. If your case is one that needs affidavits, the text of the ones you post don't strike me as doing much.

Also, discussed elsewhere, you do NOT need to have it sworn before a notary. A declaration under penalty of perjury in the right format is the legal equivalent of an affidavit.