Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 and supporting documents

I-751 and supporting documents

Old Dec 17th 2005, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Rene is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I-751 and supporting documents

I am about to file the I-751 for removal of my conditional status, and I am looking for some input to what is considered enough documentation to support an I-751.

I entered US on a conditional GC in April 2004.

* We put my name on the deed to our house in April 2005.
* We changed auto and home owner insurance in august 2005 and added both our names on them.
* We have a title for one car with both our names on it.

All utility bills / junk mail e.t.c. are coming to my wife, my name is not on any of them since I couldn't be on any of the papers or loans due to no credit history in the US when we bought the house in August 2004.

I am a little concerned about this, since that the materials we DO have don't date very far back, and the long-termers like mortgage, utility bills, e.t.c. all come to my wife.

Any thoughts or tips are very appreciated.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 and supporting documents

Originally Posted by Rene
I am a little concerned about this, since that the materials we DO have don't date very far back, and the long-termers like mortgage, utility bills, e.t.c. all come to my wife.
Tax transcripts for this year and last year will help as long as you filed as married (jointly or not... doesn't really matter). What about life insurance policies showing the spouse as beneficiary? Do you have insurance through your work where your spouse is the beneficiary? Joint bank accounts? Don't worry about utility bills... they often require an act of congress to get both names added! Even junk mail for the both of you is fine as long as the mail comes to the same address! Good luck.

Ian
Old Dec 17th 2005, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Tax transcripts for this year and last year will help as long as you filed as married (jointly or not... doesn't really matter). What about life insurance policies showing the spouse as beneficiary? Do you have insurance through your work where your spouse is the beneficiary? Joint bank accounts? Don't worry about utility bills... they often require an act of congress to get both names added! Even junk mail for the both of you is fine as long as the mail comes to the same address! Good luck.

Ian
If you have joint Health Coverage:
Don't forget Health/Dental Insurance get a statement of coverage showing who the primary and subsidiary subscribers are.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:34 am
Richard

Also, if absolutely necessary, you can secure affidavits from people
aware of your relationship... you just need to make sure the affidavits
conform to USCIS requirements.

Richard Ruth
www.ruthlaw.com

Old Dec 18th 2005, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

We're about to file for removal of conditions in a couple of months, so I've been gathering up our docs as well.

As with the initial AOS interview, my goal is to show 1) joint financial ties and 2) social recognition as a couple.

Here is what I'm planning on sending:
- utility bills (some in his name, some in mine)
- joint bank account statements
- joint health insurance policies
- joint tax returns
- joint credit card statements
- documentation showing we are each other's beneficiaries on life insurance policy (most employers offer you a policy for 1X your salary for free, so you might well have one), IRA and 401k accounts
- social correspondence sent to both of us (mostly Christmas cards), with the post-marked envelopes showing both our names and our address
- pictures of the two of us since our AOS interview, with family and friends
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Richard
Also, if absolutely necessary, you can secure affidavits from people
aware of your relationship... you just need to make sure the affidavits
conform to USCIS requirements.
Is there a standard form, or is there some guidelines on how to create these affidavits available somewhere ?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a standard form, or is there some guidelines on how to create these affidavits available somewhere ?
Hi:

Matt Udall and I happen to disagree on use of affidavits/declarations. IMHO, they contribute very little to a case and I only use them in situations where a couple doesn't leave a "paper trail" for good reasons.

However, it should be noted that "declarations" are the legal equivalent of an affidavit and are in the form as follows with the proper "magic language":

I, [name] declare as follows:

[FACTUAL statements]

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Dated:

[signature].
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Matt Udall and I happen to disagree on use of affidavits/declarations. IMHO, they contribute very little to a case and I only use them in situations where a couple doesn't leave a "paper trail" for good reasons.

However, it should be noted that "declarations" are the legal equivalent of an affidavit and are in the form as follows with the proper "magic language":

I, [name] declare as follows:

[FACTUAL statements]

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Dated:

[signature].
Also note that the I-751 asks that the name, address, and status of the individual writing the letter be given.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks to all the inputs, we can just hope the information we can provide is enough to convince the authorities.
I am starting to collect junk-mail..... pheew we get a lot of that these days.

Have there been any reports about a denial of an I-751 based on a genuine marriage ?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Have there been any reports about a denial of an I-751 based on a genuine marriage ?
Hi Rene,

I've heard that if USCIS has serious doubts about the paperwork, they will schedule an interview to talk in person, so you have a chance to clarify anything.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

jg1012002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just finished my husband's I-751 in November. It was a piece of cake. I sent our joint bank statements, health insurance showing we were both covered, car insurance showing we were both covered, tax return for last year and a 30-minute phone card with a list of phone numbers for my boss, landlord, mom, and 3 kids. However, I did send the wrong amount (fees had increased by $5.00). I sent it back with an extra $5 and it was approved within 2 weeks -- I was totally shocked -- especially since I still use my maiden name because his is 30 characters long and no one can say it. I did explain in my letter that I continued to use my maiden name due to his name being so difficult for people to pronounce.

We had such a hard time getting his visa that I just presumed we would have an interview and they would grill us so I didn't put a lot of effort into documentation. This had to have been the easiest approval I have ever been blessed with!

I hope his naturalization goes as easy!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

needhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant future

I-751 was approved in 2 weeks? Do you mean you got NOA extending your residency status for one year? If that is the case, that is not your approval!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

jg1012002 is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I received the NOA the same week I filed. The week after that we received the Approval for the Removal of Conditions. Three days after we received the Approval we went to Charlotte, gave the photos for his 10 year green card and got the new visa in his passport.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jg1012002
No, I received the NOA the same week I filed. The week after that we received the Approval for the Removal of Conditions. Three days after we received the Approval we went to Charlotte, gave the photos for his 10 year green card and got the new visa in his passport.
Wow, jg, thats just unbelievable! Give us some of your good karma
congratulations!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 12:16 am
Osiris74

> I am about to file the I-751 for removal of my conditional status, and
    > I
    > am looking for some input to what is considered enough documentation
    > to
    > support an I-751.
    > I entered US on a conditional GC in April 2004.
    > * We put my name on the deed to our house in April 2005.
    > * We changed auto and home owner insurance in august 2005 and added
    > both
    > our names on them.
    > * We have a title for one car with both our names on it.
    > All utility bills / junk mail e.t.c. are coming to my wife, my
    > name is
    > not on any of them since I couldn't be on any of the papers or
    > loans due
    > to no credit history in the US when we bought the house in
    > August 2004.
    > I am a little concerned about this, since that the materials we DO
    > have
    > don't date very far back, and the long-termers like mortgage, utility
    > bills, e.t.c. all come to my wife.
    > Any thoughts or tips are very appreciated.
    > --

Hi:

My wife and I submitted our documents yesterday to the Texas Service
Center.
We did include:

- Cover letter
- Money order
- 3 Affidavids (friends and family)
- Tax return 2004
- Utility bills
- Life insurance
- Car lease
- Car insurrance
- Rent
- Pictures
- Our daughter birth certificate
- Copy of passport, green card, SSN and DL

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.