Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Removal of Conditions - Affidavit question

Wikiposts

I-751 Removal of Conditions - Affidavit question

Old Dec 30th 2001, 3:32 am
Chris Wood

I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions on my permanent
residency.

Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me whether it matters or
not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S. Citizen? I'm originally from
England and was thinking of asking a friend of ours (also from england) who is here
on a student visa (he's lived here about 2 years), and who I believe has a social
security number (but is not allowed to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit
if he can quote a social security number, even though he isn't a citizen?

Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a good idea? or
unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along well with him, and he
visits often to collect and return his children? good idea or not?

we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited to say the least!

thx for any advice, Chris

Old Dec 30th 2001, 3:48 am
Alvena Ferreira

Chris Wood wrote:
    >
    >

It does not have to be a citizen, however it must be someone who has known you and
your spouse since the conditional residency was granted. The person will have to give
contact information with the letter, and might be contacted to verify the
information. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Dec 30th 2001, 4:40 am
Ben Johnson

You do not "need" to send any affidavits.

If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together and are married
(as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need to fool with the
affidavits at all.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
idea?
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 30th 2001, 1:28 pm
Ranjini

The affidavits are not what's going to get you your conditions removed. It's the
overwhelming evidence of co-mingling of finances, mainly. And other pieces of
evidence to prove you are a married couple. The instructions on the I-751 forms use
the affidavits as examples of documents needed and give a definite format. They also
tell you that the people who sign such affidavits "may be required to testify before
an immigration officer". Obviously, in the event of an interview. So I don't think
anyone should underestimate the importance of providing what the INS asks for. They
obviously have their reasons. And my advice is always comply, as far as the INS is
concerned. Ranjini

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Johnson" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
alt.visa.us.marriage-based Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 9:40 AM Subject: Re: I-751
Removal of Conditions - Affidavit question

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions on my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me whether it matters[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
Citizen?
[usenetquote2]> > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of ours (also[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
allowed
[usenetquote2]> > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a social security[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a good[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along well[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good idea[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited to say[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions on my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me whether it matters[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
Citizen?
[usenetquote2]> > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of ours (also[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
allowed
[usenetquote2]> > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a social security[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a good[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along well[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good idea[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited to say[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]

Old Dec 30th 2001, 3:35 pm
Ben Johnson

The affidavits are not at all important if you have sufficent evidence to prove a
legitimate marriage.

The 751 will be approved without them, if other evidence exists.

If they were needed...... than everything on the example list would be required.

>
    >
other
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together and are married[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need to[/usenetquote2]
fool
[usenetquote2]> > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions on[/usenetquote2]
my
[usenetquote2]> > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me whether[/usenetquote2]
it
[usenetquote2]> > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of[/usenetquote2]
ours
[usenetquote2]> > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here[/usenetquote2]
about
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a[/usenetquote2]
social
[usenetquote2]> > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along well[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good idea[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited to[/usenetquote2]
say
[usenetquote2]> > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]
    >

[usenetquote2]> > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together and are married[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need to[/usenetquote2]
fool
[usenetquote2]> > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions on[/usenetquote2]
my
[usenetquote2]> > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me whether[/usenetquote2]
it
[usenetquote2]> > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of[/usenetquote2]
ours
[usenetquote2]> > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here[/usenetquote2]
about
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a[/usenetquote2]
social
[usenetquote2]> > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along well[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good idea[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited to[/usenetquote2]
say
[usenetquote2]> > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]

Old Dec 31st 2001, 3:06 am
Ranjini

Exactly my point. We just had our conditions removed. And we provided every document
that was asked for in the examples list. I have tended to err on the side of over
cautiousness and it has paid dividends for us. And we have made it to the finish line
in record time. Never had an RFI; not one hiccup along the way. How do you decide
what the INS wants or not? What if they decide you need to have an interview and need
to have these people come in to testify? This is your opinion. Just try not to make
it sound like the gospel. You just might mislead others. And of course the original
poster will read what you have written and what I have written. Then read the
instructions and make his own judegment on what he needs to do. That's what this
forum is all about. Discussion, like we are having now. Ranjini

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > The affidavits are not what's going to get you your conditions removed. It's the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > overwhelming evidence of co-mingling of finances, mainly. And[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > pieces of evidence to prove you are a married couple. The instructions on the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I-751 forms use the affidavits as examples of documents needed and give a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > definite format. They also tell you that[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > people who sign such affidavits "may be required to testify before an immigration[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > officer". Obviously, in the event of an interview. So I don't think anyone should[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > underestimate the importance of providing what the INS asks for. They obviously[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have their reasons. And my[/usenetquote2]
advice
    >
[usenetquote2]> > always comply, as far as the INS is concerned. Ranjini[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Johnson" <[email protected]>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Newsgroups: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 9:40 AM[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Subject: Re: I-751 Removal of Conditions - Affidavit question[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together and[/usenetquote2]
are
[usenetquote2]> > > married (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions[/usenetquote2]
on
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me whether[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > allowed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a[/usenetquote2]
good
[usenetquote2]> > > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along[/usenetquote2]
well
[usenetquote2]> > with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good[/usenetquote2]
idea
[usenetquote2]> > or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together and[/usenetquote2]
are
[usenetquote2]> > > married (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions[/usenetquote2]
on
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me whether[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > allowed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a[/usenetquote2]
good
[usenetquote2]> > > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along[/usenetquote2]
well
[usenetquote2]> > with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good[/usenetquote2]
idea
[usenetquote2]> > or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 1st 2002, 4:21 am
Chris Wood

Thanks for all your advice, I'm going to send affidavits anyway. I agree with Ranjini
that there's no harm sending too much eveidence, and that it's always better to err
on the side of caution. We've done this up to this point too with no hiccups, and so
we'll continue that way for this last part. The thing I still haven't really managed
to get clear is whether the affidavits should be notarized, I've seen conflicting
opinions on this about whether it is necessary - the FAQ for this list says it isn't
for example. Maybe this could be clarified and the FAQ updated if necessary. I'm
going to ask that mine are notarized, it doesn't sound that difficult to get done
(banks do it for free so I understand). Thanks Ben Johnson for your opinion also, I
myself think the affidavits are pretty necessary, and at the least can do no harm.
I'm aiming for overwhelming evidence, not just satisfactory evidence, I think I have
a better chance of avoiding an interview taking this approach. If I can avoid an
interview then this will be over quicker which can only be a good thing.

>
    >
    >
    >
one
    >
if
    >
come
    >
    >
    >
    >
That's
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > The affidavits are not at all important if you have sufficent evidence[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > prove a legitimate marriage.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The 751 will be approved without them, if other evidence exists.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If they were needed...... than everything on the example list would be required.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > The affidavits are not what's going to get you your conditions[/usenetquote2]
removed.
[usenetquote2]> > > It's the overwhelming evidence of co-mingling of finances, mainly. And[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > other[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > pieces of evidence to prove you are a married couple. The instructions on the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I-751 forms use the affidavits as examples of documents needed and give a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > definite format. They also tell you that[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > people who sign such affidavits "may be required to testify before an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > immigration officer". Obviously, in the event of an interview. So I don't think[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > anyone should underestimate the importance of[/usenetquote2]
providing
[usenetquote2]> > > what the INS asks for. They obviously have their reasons. And my[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > always comply, as far as the INS is concerned. Ranjini[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Johnson" <[email protected]>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Newsgroups: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 9:40 AM[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Subject: Re: I-751 Removal of Conditions - Affidavit question[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together and[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > married (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > fool[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me[/usenetquote2]
whether
[usenetquote2]> > it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ours[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > allowed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > social[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > say[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together and[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > married (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > fool[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the conditions[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me[/usenetquote2]
whether
[usenetquote2]> > it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a U.S.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ours[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > allowed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > social[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children? good[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > say[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 1st 2002, 6:42 am
Ranjini

Exactly my point of view Chris!! The instructions state "affidavits sworn to or
affirmed" and that to my mind indicates notarized. You are absolute right. The banks
do it free of charge. The very best of luck. I think with your approach it will be
pretty plain sailing.

Our timeline Mailed to Nebraska: May 02, 2001 NOA dated: June 16, 2001 Date of
decision: Dec 19, 2001 (to remove conditions)

Our timeline is pretty much average for Nebraska (120-150 days) as per
http://www.murthy.com . Good luck. Ranjini

>
    >
it's
    >
    >
    >
    >
about
    >
    >
to
    >
    >
opinion
    >
    >
satisfactory
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Exactly my point. We just had our conditions removed. And we provided every[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > document that was asked for in the examples list. I have tended[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > err on the side of over cautiousness and it has paid dividends for us.[/usenetquote2]
And
[usenetquote2]> > we have made it to the finish line in record time. Never had an RFI; not[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > hiccup along the way. How do you decide what the INS wants or not? What[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > they decide you need to have an interview and need to have these people[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > in to testify? This is your opinion. Just try not to make it sound[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the gospel. You just might mislead others. And of course the original poster will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > read what you have written and what I have written. Then[/usenetquote2]
read
[usenetquote2]> > the instructions and make his own judegment on what he needs to do.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > what this forum is all about. Discussion, like we are having now. Ranjini[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > The affidavits are not at all important if you have sufficent evidence[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > prove a legitimate marriage.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > The 751 will be approved without them, if other evidence exists.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If they were needed...... than everything on the example list would be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > required.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > The affidavits are not what's going to get you your conditions[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > It's the overwhelming evidence of co-mingling of finances, mainly.[/usenetquote2]
And
[usenetquote2]> > > other[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > pieces of evidence to prove you are a married couple. The instructions on the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I-751 forms use the affidavits as examples[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > > > documents needed and give a definite format. They also tell you[/usenetquote2]
that
[usenetquote2]> > > > people who sign such affidavits "may be required to testify before[/usenetquote2]
an
[usenetquote2]> > > > immigration officer". Obviously, in the event of an interview. So I don't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > think anyone should underestimate the importance of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > what the INS asks for. They obviously have their reasons. And my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > advice[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > always comply, as far as the INS is concerned. Ranjini[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Johnson" <[email protected]>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Newsgroups: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 9:40[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > AM Subject: Re: I-751 Removal of Conditions - Affidavit question[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > married (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > fool[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the[/usenetquote2]
conditions
[usenetquote2]> > on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a[/usenetquote2]
U.S.
[usenetquote2]> > > > Citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > > ours[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived[/usenetquote2]
here
[usenetquote2]> > > about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is[/usenetquote2]
not
[usenetquote2]> > > > allowed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > > social[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > well[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children?[/usenetquote2]
good
[usenetquote2]> > idea[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > say[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > You do not "need" to send any affidavits.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > If you have sufficent enough evidence to prove you live together[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > married (as described in the 751 uinstructions)....you do not need[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > fool[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > with the affidavits at all.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > > > I'm preparing the paperwork for the I-751 to remove the[/usenetquote2]
conditions
[usenetquote2]> > on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > permanent residency.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Regarding the affidavits I need to send, can someone tell me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > matters or not whether the person writing the affidavit is a[/usenetquote2]
U.S.
[usenetquote2]> > > > Citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > I'm originally from England and was thinking of asking a friend[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> > > ours[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > (also from england) who is here on a student visa (he's lived[/usenetquote2]
here
[usenetquote2]> > > about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > years), and who I believe has a social security number (but is[/usenetquote2]
not
[usenetquote2]> > > > allowed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > to work). Is it ok for him to sign an affidavit if he can quote[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > > social[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > security number, even though he isn't a citizen?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > Alternatively, how about relatives signing affidavits, is this a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > idea?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > or unadvised? how about my wife's ex husband - we both get along[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > well[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > him, and he visits often to collect and return his children?[/usenetquote2]
good
[usenetquote2]> > idea[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > not?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > we are pretty unsociable! our list of (joint) friends is limited[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > say[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > least![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > > > thx for any advice, Chris[/usenetquote2]