Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Removal of conditional status

I-751 Removal of conditional status

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:00 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 Removal of conditional status

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Are the processing times for I-485s the exception to the rule?? I ask because for those of us still pending, most of us had our applications forwarded to MSC from the local office. So most of us, I believe, are going by the processing times listed for our local office, since the MSC does not publish any processing times for the I-485s (as yet).
Correct. Use the local office report for I-485s as the MSC does not approve them. They are eventually sent to the local office for final adjudication. Now for I-131s and I-765s that get routed to the NBC, use the NBC report for those (I specifically asked the Director of the NBC, Robert Cowan, that question during my recent tour of the NBC).

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
So how do you explain that I watched the processing times for our local office jump from May 2004 back to Nov. 2003 and at this time they are still only processing Dec. 2003?? However, we filed in June 2004 and our interview is next week. That's 6 months ahead of the processing and not within that 1 month window. With that type of inaccuracy, how can any of us even dare try to guess when we think our case might be overdue?!?

Or should we only treat the Service Center processing times as being accurate and not the local offices? I suppose our local office could be an exception in that it isn't very accurate publishing processsing times.
I don't try to explain it, as I don't work for the USCIS nor do I create their reports for the local offices. But in the way of an example, the Los Angeles office is reporting that they are working I-485s that were filed on 08/09/04, however just today I received an e-mail from the So. Cal. AILA chapter inviting AILA members who have I-485s still pending at the L.A. office and in which the "interview occurred more than a year ago" to send details to the AILA contact so those cases can be checked on (and hopefully pulled and adjudicated).

For me, I don't put as much stock into the local office reports although they are useful as a "rough" gauge as well.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:33 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Penguin,

Looking at your timeline, you state that you received an I-797 NOA notifying you of your approved I-751. I-797s are usually not used (at least they haven't been for the last couple of years) to notify a petitioner of a successful I-751.

Here's what my approval letter said (on plain white paper - no letterhead, no color):

United States Department of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service

Notice of Removal of Conditional Basis of Lawful Permanent Residence

File Number: ***-***-***
Date of Decision: 06/23/2004
New Classification Symbol: IR6
Admission Date: 07/16/2001

Your request for the removal of the conditional basis of your permanent resident status has been approved. You are deemed to be a lawful permanent resident of the United States as of the date of your original admission or adjustment of status.

You must obtain a new alien registration receipt card (Form I-551). To do so, appear in person at the Service Office shown below. Bring your passport and three recent photos of the same type as on your present alien card (if needed, exact specifications may be obtained from the Service office shown below). Your new alien registration receipt card will be mailed to you within six months. You should not travel outside the United States before receiving your new card unless you have first received a passport endorsement from this Service indicating that your new card is being processed.

INS OFFICE:

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
U.S. IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION
JF KENNEDY FED BLDG
J.F.K. FEDERAL BLDG.
ROOM E-160
BOSTON MA 022030000

Sincerely,

Evelyn Upchurch
DIRECTOR
Well, it might be interesting for you to see the letter I received notifying me of my I-751 approval.

The top of the letter is attached. The body of the letter is identical to sphyrapicus except that the Charlotte office address is given.

Note: the top righthand corner of the letterhead is marked, "I-797 Notice of Action".
Attached Thumbnails I-751 Removal of conditional status-i-797noa_approval-extract.jpg  
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Well, it might be interesting for you to see the letter I received notifying me of my I-751 approval.

The top of the letter is attached. The body of the letter is identical to sphyrapicus except that the Charlotte office address is given.

Note: the top righthand corner of the letterhead is marked, "I-797 Notice of Action".
Very interesting Penguin. Even more strange is that my approval letter also came from TSC. Quite odd indeed.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:22 pm

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting Penguin. Even more strange is that my approval letter also came from TSC. Quite odd indeed.
From what I understand, I-797 is a "Notice of Action" and could be sent for any letters where an "Action" is taken by USCIS triggering change of status. Action could be approval, denial, extension, etc.

Congratulations again to Penguin! It is great to know that USCIS is working even faster than their own published processing dates.

Perhaps, USCIS had ran out of their I-797 forms and sent sphy the notice on a plain paper.

Last edited by Trent; Jan 8th 2005 at 1:30 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Trent
From what I understand, I-797 is a "Notice of Action" and could be sent for any letters where an "Action" is taken by USCIS triggering change of status. Action could be approval, denial, extension, etc.

Perhaps, USCIS had ran out of their I-797 forms and sent sphy the notice on a plain paper.
I don't think so. Penguin is the first person I've heard of that received an I-751 approval on I-797 NOA letterhead.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so. Penguin is the first person I've heard of that received an I-751 approval on I-797 NOA letterhead.
Ours in November of 2003 was on plain white paper as well from the Vermont Service Center.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:03 pm
Banned

Johndoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I greatly appreciate those people who after getting past the USCIS logjam come here to post their experiences esp NC Penguin and Sphy.

Trent, unfortunately for people like me, USCIS published dates are over 2 1/2 past my NOA date and have not heard from them. I have placed an inquiry on the 1800# and hope to hear from them some day.

==================================================
Originally Posted by Trent

Congratulations again to Penguin! It is great to know that USCIS is working even faster than their own published processing dates.