Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 & Police Certificate copy

Wikiposts

I-751 & Police Certificate copy

Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

istoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the rough
Default I-751 & Police Certificate copy

Hi, all

Quick background: Hubby got a K-1 in August 2004 and granted CPR in August 2005. Years ago he had a couple of cautions, which were considered before he was granted the K-1 and again reviewed at the AOS interview (officer confirmed the file contained the UK police certificate regarding the past cautions).

I am about to submit the I-751 and the form was changed several months ago from: "since you became a CPR" (or some such phrasing) to "have you EVER" been arrested, cited, etc. Hence, now my dilemma:

So, that means I must check Yes. According to the Initial Evidence we should supply the UK police certificate again. Well, DH didn't bother to make a copy back then (yes, I had asked him to) so we no longer have it. I was considering just enclosing a letter stating the facts again and reiterating that those documents are already in his file. Being me, of course, I am concerned it's either going to get rejected or receive an RFE (in which case we would have no way of getting another certificate and returning the RFE in time).

*sigh* I'm rambling. Sorry.

Has anyone been in this situation? Will a letter explaining why there are no documents suffice? Should we obtain a new police certificate and be at the ready if the packet gets rejected/RFE received (in the event a letter isn't sufficient)? If so, how in the heck do we obtain the UK police certificate from the US since he has been here since 2004?

Hubster is of course of the mind that it's ridiculous to try and get the certificate again and to just send a letter explaining the situation. I agree, since it was in his file and it's already been reviewed to even get the K-1 and AOS, but....well, I say better safe than sorry.

Anyone with this experience? Advice? Opinion?