Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence)

Wikiposts

I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence)

Old May 17th 2007, 5:17 am
Just Joined

dandb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence)

The I-751 says to file within 90 days of the expiration of the conditional permanent resident card. This makes me a bit worried since it took so long to process the original one.

Does anyone have experience with this and do you really get a response within 90 days?

Many thanks!
Old May 17th 2007, 5:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence)

Originally Posted by dandb
The I-751 says to file within 90 days of the expiration of the conditional permanent resident card. This makes me a bit worried since it took so long to process the original one.

Does anyone have experience with this and do you really get a response within 90 days?

Many thanks!
You will probably get SOME kind of response within 90 days, although you might not get your 10-year green card within the 90 days. You will receive a 1-year extension letter. If you need to travel overseas, you can use your expired 2-year GC along with the extension letter.

Your card expires, but your status does not, and no matter how long it takes USCIS to adjudicate the I-751, you can still apply for citizenship whenever you are eligible.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 17th 2007, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Rene.

Is the process then...?

1 yr. extension letter
Biometrics again
Interview

We never had an interview to get the conditional card.
Old May 17th 2007, 5:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Rene.

Is the process then...?

1 yr. extension letter
Biometrics again
Interview

I'm not sure which comes first, the biometrics or the 1-year extension. Seems it's different for each case. There may or may not be an interview involved. Usually there is not, unless USCIS has questions or if your file is pulled at random for quality control purposes.

Rene
Old May 17th 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

OK, thanks for your insight.

This forum really is an invaluable resource. keep up the great work, it is very mch appreciated!
Old May 17th 2007, 6:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

To add to Rene's post, it would appear from the posters on the forum that those that did not have an interview for adjustment of status but instead received their greencards in the mail, that their petitions have been singled out for an interview.

So if this occurs, do not be nervous. It is just USCIS doing the interview in reverse.

Thanks, Rene.

Is the process then...?

1 yr. extension letter
Biometrics again
Interview

Old May 20th 2007, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

markhawksley is an unknown quantity at this point

I filed at the CSC and received my new ten year card within the 90 days-I was actually impressed at the USCIS-first time for everything!
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:01 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks!

I sent mine to Nebraska on 3/16, and had the 1-yr extension letter by 4/9.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:56 am
Mary35205

> > The I-751 says to file within 90 days of the expiration of the
> > conditional permanent resident card. This makes me a bit worried
> > since
> > it took so long to process the original one.
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with this and do you really get a
> > response
> > within 90 days?
> >
> > Many thanks!
>
> I sent mine to Nebraska on 3/16, and had the 1-yr extension
> letter by 4/9.

What determines when a person gets 1 year extension OR 10 yr. GC?
Anybody knows?

--

Old May 26th 2007, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mary35205
What determines when a person gets 1 year extension OR 10 yr. GC?
Anybody knows?
It's not either/or. After you file the I-751, you will receive a 1-year extension letter. Everyone does. Then you go for biometrics. Everyone does. Then, if your case is approved, you will receive a 10-year green card.

Rene