Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 - originals or copies - do we get them back ?

I-751 - originals or copies - do we get them back ?

Old Aug 31st 2002, 12:48 pm
David Niven

Default I-751 - originals or copies - do we get them back ?

Hi

We have like a milk-crate of material - photos from around the world, joint
bank/credit card/insurance stuff, utility bills, you name it.

I am reluctant to put in personal correspondence - are these really necessary ?

Other people tell me they will ask about you sex life, finances, you name it.

Of course, they don't evem introduce them,selves or have a name, yet our life is like
bacteria under a microscope. So unfair/one-way and humiliating. I wish the tables
were turned. They sound like sick sadists.

BUT BUT -

Do you send originals or copies - if originals, will I ever see them again or do they
lose them/shred them so as to economize of office costs ?

Dave

Old Aug 31st 2002, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 - originals or copies - do we get them back ?

If you had to attend the AOS interview here or in the US Consulate where the foreign spouse is from then ask yourself if they asked about your sex life then? 99.999% sure they did not.

As for the I-751 for removal of conditions most applicaitons are approved without a interview being required. They are not interested in your finances at this stage of the game as you have already completed an Affidavit of Support which was accepted at the time the foreign spouse was granted permanent residency. I'm not sure who you have been speaking with but they are not giving you accurate information.

As for the legitimate questions you have regarding documentation to be sent with the I-751, include whatever you feel will prove that you are still in a viable, valid marriage. This will include the items on the instructions if you have them, perhaps some pictures from a vacation you took together and if you flew, then the boarding passes for you both, notarized affidavits from family and friends who can attest to your attending social functions as a couple, etc.

INS is not out to invade your privacy but has to ascertain that you two are living together as husband and wife in ways other than a sexual one. For most people that means sharing bills by having both your names on leases, deeds, a joint bank account, are beneficiaries of health, dental, life insurances and perhaps 401(k) plans from work.

Never send INS anything original. It states that on the instructions. Copies are fine. If for some reason you are chosen to attend an interview then you can give them the originals if they request them at that time.

You do not get anything original back ... as stated on the instruction sheet.

Rete

Who is waiting with her foreign spouse for the approval of their I-751
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 4:37 am
L D Jones

Default Re: I-751 - originals or copies - do we get them back ?

David Niven wrote:
    > Hi
    > We have like a milk-crate of material - photos from around the world, joint
    > bank/credit card/insurance stuff, utility bills, you name it.
    > I am reluctant to put in personal correspondence - are these really necessary ?

No

> Other people tell me they will ask about you sex life, finances, you name it.

I doubt it. At least not from what I've read here concerning the I-751.

> Do you send originals or copies - if originals, will I ever see them again or do
    > they lose them/shred them so as to economize of office costs

Never send an original document to INS. You will never get the original back. Send
enough info to be approved but not too much. I know this is difficult to determine.
When we do our I-751 I am not planning on sending photos or personal letters. I'm not
going to write a cover letter either but some people prefer to (my feeling is that
they know what the form is for and know what supporting info is required).

The form itself describes what is necesary to send. If you think you don't have
enough send 2 affidavits (described in the instructions). From what I've read, it is
possible your form will take longer to approve if you send "too much" supporting
info. However, nothing appears certain with INS.