Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 interview to remove conditions

Wikiposts

I-751 interview to remove conditions

Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Honeybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really nice
Default I-751 interview to remove conditions

I will be having the interview after 2 years of waiting hacving filed in august 2004.
I was married to a USC from march 2001 until july 2003, we had been together since 1994, I was even living in Peru at the time and in High School while he was here in the US and occassionally visited me, then I came with a student visa to be with him. We lived together from 1996 until dec/jan 2003. I have all proof of our LIFE together for ALL those years, but the problem is that while we were legally separated I met another man and married right after my divorce came up in july 2003.

I got my GC in Nov 2002, then I separated in dec 2003 after soooooo many years of relationship since I was almos 17 years old. The relationship did not work longer because of the marriage, we knew each other tooooo much and had experienced too much too young by ourselves. Please HELP!!!!!
I hope RENEE answers she seems to have GOOD answers
Thanks

Last edited by Honeybunny; Apr 17th 2007 at 2:03 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 interview to remove conditions

Originally Posted by Honeybunny
I met another man and married right after my divorce came up in july 2003.
Since you are now married to another man, you might not be able to continue to remove the conditions on your status based on your previous marriage. I could be wrong, though.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Honeybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really niceHoneybunny is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since you are now married to another man, you might not be able to continue to remove the conditions on your status based on your previous marriage. I could be wrong, though.

Ian
Have you read this somewhere in the USCIS page? or it is something you think it is true. I have sent the removal of my conditions after I got married the second time, and sent them my new Marriage certificate, I have also renewed my passport stamp AKA I-551 twice at the District Office of the state I live in.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be having the interview after 2 years of waiting hacving filed in august 2004.

I got my GC in Nov 2002, then I separated in dec 2003
Instead of answers, I have a question. I'm not following your timeline.

1. You got your GC in Nov 2002 (I'm assuming the 2-year GC)?
2. You filed for removal of conditions in August 2004? Did you file on your own, since you were separated by that time?
3. It's now April 2007, and you're just now getting an interview letter? That's almost 3 years since you filed the I-751.

Let me know if I got that straight.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read this somewhere in the USCIS page? or it is something you think it is true. I have sent the removal of my conditions after I got married the second time, and sent them my new Marriage certificate, I have also renewed my passport stamp AKA I-551 twice at the District Office of the state I live in.
Oh, I see more what happened now. I'm sure they sent you an interview letter because all the information on the I-751 is different, since you filed to remove conditions with a new husband instead of the one you got your GC through.

I think you need to speak with an immigration attorney, seriously. I personally doubt they will let you remove conditions being married to a new man. Removing conditions is meant to prove you are STILL married to and STILL living with the man who you got your GC through.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Instead of answers, I have a question. I'm not following your timeline.

1. You got your GC in Nov 2002 (I'm assuming the 2-year GC)?
2. You filed for removal of conditions in August 2004? Did you file on your own, since you were separated by that time?
3. It's now April 2007, and you're just now getting an interview letter? That's almost 3 years since you filed the I-751.

Let me know if I got that straight.

Rene
you got it right, I got the 2 year GC in nov 2002, after the interview they give you a stampand then later you get the GC with that same date NOV 2002. So it expired nov 2004, I filed alone to remove the conditions before the 90 day period in August 2004, I did not file as soon as I got divorced, I did not know I could do it. Now I finally have my interview after almost 3 years to remove the conditions.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Oh, I see more what happened now. I'm sure they sent you an interview letter because all the information on the I-751 is different, since you filed to remove conditions with a new husband instead of the one you got your GC through.

I think you need to speak with an immigration attorney, seriously. I personally doubt they will let you remove conditions being married to a new man. Removing conditions is meant to prove you are STILL married to and STILL living with the man who you got your GC through.

Best Wishes,
Rene
No I never filed jointly I filed alone with the divorce decree from my first marriage, the one I got the GC from. I just wanted to state that they know I married again but my new husband has not filed for me He is a non- immigrant with another type of visa.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:58 pm

you got it right, I got the 2 year GC in nov 2002, after the interview they give you a stampand then later you get the GC with that same date NOV 2002. So it expired nov 2004, I filed alone to remove the conditions before the 90 day period in August 2004, I did not file as soon as I got divorced, I did not know I could do it. Now I finally have my interview after almost 3 years to remove the conditions.
Well, if you filed alone back then....then perhaps you'll be OK at the interview. Since you didn't file jointly with your husband back then, you might be OK.

One thing concerns me, though. You stated that you are afraid they will realize you came on a student visa in order to be with your fiance and marry him in the USA. That's not good. And now everyone knows it because you posted it on the internet.

Good luck at the interview.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Well, if you filed alone back then....then perhaps you'll be OK at the interview. Since you didn't file jointly with your husband back then, you might be OK.

One thing concerns me, though. You stated that you are afraid they will realize you came on a student visa in order to be with your fiance and marry him in the USA. That's not good. And now everyone knows it because you posted it on the internet.

Good luck at the interview.

Rene
No I am not afraid of the fact that I came to the US on a student visa to study. We lived together all that time from 96 until we finally got married in 2001, those are LOOOONG years
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:17 pm

No I am not afraid of the fact that I came to the US on a student visa to study. We lived together all that time from 96 until we finally got married in 2001, those are LOOOONG years
You phrased it differently in your first post:

...then I came with a student visa to be with him.
That is different than saying:

I came to the US on a student visa to study.
I doubt if USCIS cares that you lived with someone all those years while you were a student, all they care about is that you used the student visa for the correct purpose, and that all your documents are in order and filed at the appropriate times.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

You phrased it differently in your first post:

That is different than saying:

I doubt if USCIS cares that you lived with someone all those years while you were a student, all they care about is that you used the student visa for the correct purpose, and that all your documents are in order and filed at the appropriate times.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thanks for your advice Rene, I appreciate your concerns, I did file everything on time and I used my student visa for the correct purpose.