Wikiposts

I-751 HELP!

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 4:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 HELP!

You have successfully confused us all. Here are some facts on the I-751.

I-751's are issued to a foreign spouse of a USC who has emigrated to the US based on the marriage to their USC spouse.

At the time the foreign spouse received adjustment of status to permanent resident the marriage was less than 2 years old. The spouse and their children were then granted Conditional permanent residency with the need to remove conditions. The application to remove conditions can be mailed within the 90 day period before the expiration of the conditional 2 year green card.

NORMALLY, it is the foreign spouse who needs to file the I-751 and NOT the child. It is the foreign spouse who must prove that the marriage is still continuing and is valid. The child rides on the coat tails of their foreign parent.

HOWEVER, if the child is over the age of 18, the child must apply themselves for the removal of conditions by filing form I-751.

I am assuming this is the case with you. Please let me know if this is correct.

ALSO, your mother MUST file the I-751 before the above 90 days period is expired or she will lose her residency status. She must have landed in the US at some point and either activated an US Consulate approved Immediate Relative Visa and/or filed the appropriate adjustment of status forms here in the US for both herself and for you. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF SHE IS IN THE US OR NOT. SHE STILL NEEDS TO FILE.

I do not believe you could have immigrated to the US without your mother having done so at the same time as you or just prior.

I am also assuming that the travel visa you are talking about for your mother is a re-entry permit obtained through the USCIS when your mother applied for a 2 year leave of absence from the US to attend to business abroad.

Please confirm that as well.

Please, please, please note: There is a difference in saying your mother has not immigrated to the US and that your mother has residency status in the US but does not currently reside here.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:44 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 HELP!

Originally Posted by Rete
ALSO, your mother MUST file the I-751 before the above 90 days period is expired or she will lose her residency status. She must have landed in the US at some point and either activated an US Consulate approved Immediate Relative Visa and/or filed the appropriate adjustment of status forms here in the US for both herself and for you. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF SHE IS IN THE US OR NOT. SHE STILL NEEDS TO FILE.

I do not believe you could have immigrated to the US without your mother having done so at the same time as you or just prior.

I am also assuming that the travel visa you are talking about for your mother is a re-entry permit obtained through the USCIS when your mother applied for a 2 year leave of absence from the US to attend to business abroad.
Query: Just wondering and I really don't know the answer. What happens if Mom immigrates on CR-1 and kid comes in as CR-2. Then Mom doesn't like the US and she and step-dad return to home country thereby abandoning the CR-1. I wonder what the procedure is for the CR-2 kid to remain behind?

Comment: I find OP's posts confusing myself. Sometimes the biggest thing an attorney has to do is figure out what the hell she is confronted with! It is kind of like the situation when an accountant is confronted with a client bringing in a box full of receipts and what not which were thrown in a box called "tax stuff" as it came in.