Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Extension Counts Towards Citizenship?

Wikiposts

I-751 Extension Counts Towards Citizenship?

Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 Extension Counts Towards Citizenship?

Originally Posted by busupshot83
Thanks Meauxna! I have a couple of more questions:

1) I read that you may apply for citizenship (N-400 application) even if your I-751 is still pending. Is this true?

2) If the above is true, how does this work? Does U.S. Immigration process both the N-400 and I-751 simutaneously, and then give you a decision?

Thanks again everyone!

Devon
hi Devon,

#1--True

#2--Maybe, maybe not. The I-751 *must* be dealt with before the N-400. Very often this happens at the same time, by the same officer, but I have read of delays over the years, where this has confused a local officer or 'slightly delayed' a case. I don't think it could make anything go slower than not applying at all.

I put all the relevant links in the wiki under 'Naturalization'.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busupshot83
Do I have to wait until August 2009 (my 3-year anniversary as a permanent resident) to file the N-400?

I recently read the following on an immigration website:

"You are eligible to file the N-400 up to 90 days before your 3-year anniversary as a permanent resident."

If this is true, then I will be able to apply for the N-400 in May 2009, about 90 days before my August 2009 expiration date. Do I have this correct?
A more accurate way to find your date is to use a date calculator online, and use the 'resident since' date on your green card, NOA letters etc as a starting point. Go forward 3 years and then subtract the 90 days and then give yourself a buffer.

Hopefully what you read elsewhere was that you MAY be eligible to file early.. you must still meet the other requirements.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

busupshot83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again to everyone for their responses!

All the best,

Devon