Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Extension Counts Towards Citizenship?

Wikiposts

I-751 Extension Counts Towards Citizenship?

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

busupshot83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 Extension Counts Towards Citizenship?

Here is my situation:

June 2005 - Marriage to a U.S. citizen.
August 2006 - Obtained conditional 2-year green card.
August 2008 - Conditional 2-year green card expired... I-751 filed to remove conditional residence.
September 2008 - Obtained letter extending conditional residence for 1 year to August 2009.

My question:

As I understand, you must be a permanent resident (conditonal or non-conditional) for 3 years before you may apply for citizenship. I read that if my I-751 is approved, the 2 years that I have already served with my conditional 2-year green card counts towards the 3 year requirement for citizenship (N-400 application). However, does the my 1-year conditional residence extension also count towards this requirement? I am assuming it would, since my permanent residence would be from August 2006 to August 2009 (3 years). Can someone please clarify this for me? Thank you for your time.

Last edited by busupshot83; Sep 22nd 2008 at 6:09 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 Extension Counts Towards Citizenship?

Originally Posted by busupshot83
I read that if my I-751 is approved, the 2 years that I have already served with my conditional 2-year green card counts towards the 3 year requirement for citizenship (N-400 application).
Correct.

However, does the my 1-year conditional residence extension also count towards this requirement?
Yes, of course! All that's important is the "resident from" date on your GC. Your status didn't expire when the GC expired.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:57 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

August 2008 - Conditional 2-year green card expired... I-751 filed to remove conditional residence.
Did these two things happened the other way around? I may easily be wrong but I thought you could run into problems if there wasn't a valid reason for filing the I-751 within the 90 days before expiry of the card. (This is only based on a very poor memory of a thread a long while ago where I think I remember someone saying something along those lines - they may well also have been wrong)
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Did these two things happened the other way around?
I think this was simply the way the info was written in the message... not necessarily the chronological order in which things happened.

I thought you could run into problems if there wasn't a valid reason for filing the I-751 within the 90 days before expiry of the card.
Your memory serves you well. The I-751 must be filed within the 90 days prior to the expiry date on the card... but can be delayed *if* you can demonstrate that the delay was not something within your control.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neil
Did these two things happened the other way around? I may easily be wrong but I thought you could run into problems if there wasn't a valid reason for filing the I-751 within the 90 days before expiry of the card. (This is only based on a very poor memory of a thread a long while ago where I think I remember someone saying something along those lines - they may well also have been wrong)
Neil:

Sorry for the confusion... I filed the I-751 during the final 90 days of my 2-year green card. Therefore, my previous post (Conditional 2-year green card expired... I-751 filed to remove conditional residence) was NOT meant to be chronological.

Last edited by busupshot83; Sep 23rd 2008 at 9:55 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Ian:

Thank you so much for your help!

Regards,

Devon
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

However, does the my 1-year conditional residence extension also count towards this requirement?
It may help to think of it this way.. from the day it was approved/you were admitted to Permanent Resident status, you have been a Permanent Resident.

That status does not end until someone tells you it has.

Happy naturalizing!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
It may help to think of it this way.. from the day it was approved/you were admitted to Permanent Resident status, you have been a Permanent Resident.

That status does not end until someone tells you it has.

Happy naturalizing!
Thanks Meauxna! I have a couple of more questions:

1) I read that you may apply for citizenship (N-400 application) even if your I-751 is still pending. Is this true?

2) If the above is true, how does this work? Does U.S. Immigration process both the N-400 and I-751 simutaneously, and then give you a decision?

Thanks again everyone!

Devon
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

1) I read that you may apply for citizenship (N-400 application) even if your I-751 is still pending. Is this true?
Yes - your I-751 does *not* need to be adjudicated before you file.

2) If the above is true, how does this work? Does U.S. Immigration process both the N-400 and I-751 simutaneously, and then give you a decision?
Not exactly simultaneously... but, all else being equal, if your I-751 is not yet approved by the time of the N-400 interview, and you would otherwise pass the interview, your I-751 is approved there and then... and a few moments later, the N-400 is approved.

Now... in the real world (as opposed to all else being equal), it may not happen exactly like that... or as quickly... but that's roughly the gist of things.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Not exactly simultaneously... but, all else being equal, if your I-751 is not yet approved by the time of the N-400 interview, and you would otherwise pass the interview, your I-751 is approved there and then... and a few moments later, the N-400 is approved.

Now... in the real world (as opposed to all else being equal), it may not happen exactly like that... or as quickly... but that's roughly the gist of things.

Ian
Ian:

I understand... thanks a lot!

Devon
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Do I have to wait until August 2009 (my 3-year anniversary as a permanent resident) to file the N-400?

I recently read the following on an immigration website:

"You are eligible to file the N-400 up to 90 days before your 3-year anniversary as a permanent resident."

If this is true, then I will be able to apply for the N-400 in May 2009, about 90 days before my August 2009 expiration date. Do I have this correct?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If this is true, then I will be able to apply for the N-400 in May 2009, about 90 days before my August 2009 expiration date. Do I have this correct?
Yes, you have that correct. You must also meet the other eligibility criteria at that time as well, as outlined in USCIS' Guide to Naturalization. You must have spent the correct amount of time in side the USA, be resident in your (city, county, state...not sure which it is offhand) the correct amount of time, and if this is based on marriage to a USC, you must have been married a FULL 3 years at the time you file the N-400.

So you can be 90 days shy of your 3rd year as a PR, but your marriage must be a FULL 3 years old.

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

This forum is amazing... I have never experienced such promptness and professionalism on an online forum! Keep up the great work guys and girls!!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
The above is only true if the officer conducting your naturalization interview is authorized to adjudicate the I-751. If they are not and you pass the naturalization interview, you may still have to wait for the I-751 to be adjudicated. This is rare from what I've seen online but it can happen.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
The above is only true if the officer conducting your naturalization interview is authorized to adjudicate the I-751.
Thanks, Rete - you always go that extra bit to ensure we're giving accurate information! Quite right!

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.