Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 and entering usa.

Wikiposts

I-751 and entering usa.

Old Oct 21st 2001, 3:54 am
Meltinn

I'm planning to visist the UK at xmas and by that time my temporary green card will
have expired. Thus, I will only have the NOA letter. Does anyone have any ACTUAL
EXPERIENCE of entering the USA with just this NOA. Many people have suggested that I
go to my local INS and get the stamp, however my local INS is in NYC, which as anyone
who has to deal with this particular office knows - it's hell and all day of a wait.
Also, I have heard that NYC do not give the stamp to people who have a NOA? I really
want to avoid going down there unless I really have no choice. So, anyone with
experience of entering with just NOA, please, please write with your experience.

thanks,

Mel

Old Oct 21st 2001, 5:29 am
Onigiri

>
card
    >
any
    >
You shout the wrong question. Entering the USA is not the problem you need to shout
about. Your complete dossier shows up on screen at the PoE - that includes your I-751
status. My alien and I came through with the usual blåh at the immigration booth.
However, we ended up confusing the heck out of the foreign airline ticket counter
person with an expired PR card, and a letter that is not quite familiar to her.

Old Oct 21st 2001, 1:41 pm
Marcia

I have entered the US with the NOA letter several times and never had a problem.

I did go to the INS in NYC on Thursday to get my stamp on the passport since the
letter was expiring - I waited about 4 hours...

Marcia

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 9:52 am
Michael Voight

Onigiri wrote: My alien and I came through with the usual
    >
    >
    >

Would it be difficult to convince a UK airline person that he is coming to the US on
a Visa waiver? Yes, I know he isn't on a VW...After all, he shouldn't have a problem
with INS after he gets here.

Michael

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 10:42 am
Sue

>
    >
    >

I didn't see all the history of this thread but if there is an expired I-551 stamp or
an expired K1 in the passport, then a UK airline person could well be doubtful about
letting someone go on a VW (espec American Airlines or British Airways, both of whom
have pre-scanner people inspecting passports before allowing people to proceed to the
check-in desk). Could be wrong but I'd expect some very pointed questions in those
circumstances, some of those people are dragons.

>
[usenetquote2]> > blåh at the immigration booth. However, we ended up confusing the heck[/usenetquote2]
out
[usenetquote2]> > of the foreign airline ticket counter person with an expired PR card,[/usenetquote2]
and a
[usenetquote2]> > letter that is not quite familiar to her.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 23rd 2001, 3:00 am
Jd

Same here, I used the NOA letter 4 or 5 times in the last year without any problems.
I was showing my Green Card first, and only time did the airline person notice that
it was expired, I then showed my NOA. I would bring the original of the NOA with me,
since mince was carefully inspected by the INS person a couple of times.

Marcia - Any advice you could give some advice on how to save some time at the INS in
New York: I am in the same situation as yours, eg, my extension provided by the NOA
has now expired, and I need to go get the stamp in my passport. Should I arrive early
in the morning? TIA

Julien

Old Oct 23rd 2001, 3:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default NYC INS Procedures W/O Appointments

The line for NYC non-appointment hopefuls is around the corner and down the block by 7:30 in the morning. We've found that getting there before 7 is great but still have been able to get inside the building if we arrived at 7:30.

They allow intervals of approximately 20 people per time and once the entrance way is clear, they let the next 20 people in. Since Jim was only down there on the 5th of October, I can tell you that even with an appointment he said security was tight and they looked through the entire brief case before allowing you through the first security checkpoint and then you had to go through a second.

For yourself, after entering you will proceed to the 3rd floor information counter. When you finally get to see the clerk (who Jim said was quite pleasant), she/he will type in your A# and name into the computer, print you out a slip and will then direct you to the floor that you need. Believe you will be directed to the 8th Floor where you will once again wait on line. Bring your I-751 or the a**hole (if it same person Jim had) will refuse you a stamp and will send you packing without helping you at all.

Rita