Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 - don't roll your eyes rete! ;p

Wikiposts

I-751 - don't roll your eyes rete! ;p

Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:28 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice
Default I-751 - don't roll your eyes rete! ;p

i sent off my application on july 24th.
the cheque was cashed august 8th.
my greencard expires this month (september).

i've not heard anything back yet - what is the normal time to hear something?

also, i am looking for a job. if my greencard has expired, does that mean i can't work?

i have no doubt about my marriage status and whether or not i'll get approval - that's not a problem, but it's the fact that i've not heard anything yet and it sounds like other people have.

would love some feedback.

edit: also forgot to ask - will i be required to get my biometrics done again?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 - don't roll your eyes rete! ;p

Originally Posted by tortoise
ialso, i am looking for a job. if my greencard has expired, does that mean i can't work?
No, you can still work. Your card expires, but your PR status does not.

also forgot to ask - will i be required to get my biometrics done again?
Yes. USCIS will notify you of your appointment date.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:04 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Yes. USCIS will notify you of your appointment date.
great. the office in denver is in such a dodgy place. last time i had to go there i was shouted at from cars. woohoo!

can anyone answer the other questions for me?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

We went through CSC and got extension letter within 2-3 weeks of filing. I'd say you're overdue and should make an infopass appointment to inquire.

also, i am looking for a job. if my greencard has expired, does that mean i can't work?
You've done everything you need to do, but you have no proof of it (for the employer, if you are asked) until you get that extension letter. Maybe they can do something about that at your infopass appointment.

My husband had his fingerprint (singular) taken again, after we got approval notice. They had us go in to the district office, turn in his old GC, give them the passport pics we forgot to include in the package, and get his passport stamped. While doing all that she took out a blue piece of cardstock, a funny gizmo with a rectangular hole for the fingerprint, inserted cardstock into gizmo, then used high-tech tool (a post-it note) to prevent ink from getting onto the rest of the cardstock and took his fingerprint.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 12:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i am looking for a job. if my greencard has expired, does that mean i can't work?
Yes, you can still work... as Rene says, your card expires but not your status. I'll add here, for anyone else reading, that it is illegal for an employer to deny you employment based solely on some future expiration of your employment authorization. However, you are *not* one of those since you are a PR and can work unfettered.

Ian
Old Sep 15th 2006, 5:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

i have no doubt about my marriage status and whether or not i'll get approval - that's not a problem, but it's the fact that i've not heard anything yet and it sounds like other people have.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm
Will I Get a Work Permit?
As a legal permanent resident, you should have received a permanent resident card. This card will continue to prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. If you file your USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) on time, the USCIS will extend your conditional resident status for up to 12 months while your Form I-751 petition is under review.

tortoise: looks like you are waiting on that Notice.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:01 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

wow, an hour on hold with the call centre and didn't get talk to anyone before i had to rush off to pick up the kid. guess i need to allow for maybe two hours to listen to that lovely music they play :p

it's enough to make you go crrrrrrrrazy.

still no receipt.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

wow, an hour on hold with the call centre and didn't get talk to anyone before i had to rush off to pick up the kid. guess i need to allow for maybe two hours to listen to that lovely music they play

it's enough to make you go crrrrrrrrazy.

still no receipt.
The MisInfo Line won't be able to tell you anything constructive.

An InfoPass appointment at least puts you in touch with real people.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 5:41 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

unfortunately i'm a little behind the times and don't know how that works. i'm sure there's somewhere on the ins website that tells me how - i'll take a look tomorrow.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not rolling them, sweetie. Concerned that you have yet to hear from them with your first notice of action. Since that is the most important document you will need to prove your continued residency, I, too, would be uptight about not having heard from them. While I never suggest that you use the 1-800 Misinformation number, perhaps in this instance you can do that but INSIST on speaking with an USCIS Supervisor and not just one of the contract players.

Good luck.

Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:05 am
round 2, ding-ding.

thanks rete :)

i'm on the phone right now *crosses fingers* i'll update as soon as i hear something.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:39 am
round 2, ding-ding.

update: i spoke to someone who said that they have received it (well i know that) and that it's being processed. i told them i don't have a letter... she didn't say when i'd get one. however, she did give me a receipt number. i hope that's going to help.

edit: so i put my receipt number in online and got this message:

"Status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the service center where you submitted your application."

did i just spend 45 minutes on hold for nothing?

Last edited by tortoise; Sep 21st 2006 at 3:41 am.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:02 am
Just Joined

unique376 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: I-751 - don't roll your eyes rete! ;p

update: i spoke to someone who said that they have received it (well i know that) and that it's being processed. i told them i don't have a letter... she didn't say when i'd get one. however, she did give me a receipt number. i hope that's going to help.

edit: so i put my receipt number in online and got this message:

"Status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the service center where you submitted your application."

did i just spend 45 minutes on hold for nothing?
Yeah! pretty much.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

What about taking the copy of the cheque that had been cashed, and your old greencard, and passport to an infopass appointment and trying to get a stamp? Has anyone tried that? Sure seems like theyre taking forever to send out that letter these days, which is pretty dumb!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:24 am
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally Posted by andrea874
What about taking the copy of the cheque that had been cashed, and your old greencard, and passport to an infopass appointment and trying to get a stamp? Has anyone tried that? Sure seems like theyre taking forever to send out that letter these days, which is pretty dumb!
not sure about that. i guess i'll make an appointment if nothing happens soon. i'd like to start planning a trip back to england in january to see my mum, but i can't without an extension letter.

i'm going to do what rete said, and actually talk to a supervisor. the woman i spoke to sounded so sure earlier, and i thought that with the receipt number, i was set. silly me.

ah well, what's life without the INS to keep you on your toes, right? :)

edit: got through to a very nice lady who looked at my case and said that i will get a letter to extend my greencard - it can take up to three months apparently. she told me that the receipt number won't necessarily work as it's probably not in the system. she was very reassuring and i feel a bit better now. i guess i have to sit tight, wait and be patient. as long as i know there aren't any real problems, i can deal with it.

*twiddles thumbs* :)

Last edited by tortoise; Sep 21st 2006 at 4:46 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.